Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good example of why Borsalino shouldn't sell Montecristis

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
Cheap Cuenca hat with Montecristi tip sticker.

Ebay search: .....

How disappointing!

Buyer beware!~

interesting hat. The finish of the brim looks like a montecristi yet the inside of the crown ( I'd love to have that " liner" or buy it from someone...anybody?) looks like a Cuenca.

Edited by AlanC: removed search terms

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It's only an attempt to save you guys from buying junk. Sorry to offend anyone, especially Aerol.

I've just read the rules and I did not post a link to a live auction. If there is some secret gray area, which I suppose there is, I'm sure I'll find out.

When I say that a company cheats, some of you guys send me hideous PM's and emails telling me to mind my own business. Please, refrain from that. Here's more proof, so I'm sure I'll be chastised. Please, send via Postal Mail to: POB 352, Wolcottville, IN 46795 Attn: Robert Weber

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I for one appreciate your contributions to the lounge, keep it up. You have forgotten more about Panama hats than the rest of us could ever hope to know.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about we do this. I removed the search terms, but I'll post the pics from the auction below. I think pointing out these things, which is teaching us what to look for, is part of the purpose of the Lounge.

Feel free to post a link to it when the auction ends.

!BUNdbP!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKMVW103gw~~_12.JPG
!BUNddkwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKMVW6nV7w~~_12.JPG

!BUNdg9Q!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLlwwEDBKMV(!RdSg~~_12.JPG
!BUNdp(g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBKMV(WcbNg~~_12.JPG

!BUNeQ9w!mk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLluvvMBKMVY3BKp!~~_12.JPG
!BUNeT7g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLlfZ3LBKMVY9q!Mw~~_12.JPG

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
What's wrong with the hat is that is marked as a Montecristi when it is a Cuenca. That's like selling a Chevy, but telling everyone it is a Cadillac. The seller probably has no idea, no foul on his part. Even Bencraft was taken in. Bob was just letting members here know the truth. It's a good thing.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I agree. Nothing wrong with the hat. I actually think it look very nice. It is the false advertisement. I think Bob is acting in good faith here. I don't know, him personally, I know his site but you can tell he's just sharing his knowledge to help people make a fair purchase. I can appreacite that.
Aureliano-

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It looks like it has maybe a 200 weave count? That would make it maybe a $100 hat at a retail store, much less from an "online vendor".
I think I had a similar hat to this a couple years ago. It had the same liner, but the inside of the hat also had a stamp that said "Montecristi". PanamaBob said it wasn't authentic. I paid $85 at a reputable hatter in lower Manhattan, and counted myself a lucky buyer when I saw the same hat for $10 more in midtown.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Thats very interesting. The hat is not from Borsalino but from Tesi . Tesi makes a lot of Borsalinos straw hat and puts their name in them. I know that the hats are way overpriced from Borsalino but believe it or not , the name sells the hat .
We have a Parabuntal hat from Tesi that we sell for 145.00. The same hat through Borsalino is easily double the price. The proble is that Borsalino has an exclusive on many of the types of straw that Tesi has . I could offer a real Monticristi at half of the Borsalino price but Tesi cant sell it to me.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
Get the chains out.

Though I've been in this country for several years, some expresions escape me. "Get the chains out" turn out to be one of them. I, and I'm being serious here, don't know what that means. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld