Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give me tattoo ideas

OzDresser

New in Town
I don't have any tattoos but for many years have said I'd get one if I could find a small image that somehow evoked the 30s-early 40s era. What small tattoo-able picture would evoke the art deco style of that time?

dr greg

One Too Many
look hard

What about the FL logo?..... but just quietly, my father was ex-military and he said he'd disown me if I ever got one..why? If you need to be somebody else, somewhere else, in a hurry, you can dye your hair, change your eye colour, but with tatts, no go....your skin will do you in......

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
You might get some ideas from this thread, and seeing what others here have done.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=589731#post589731

It will show you, that almost anything can reflect the era....done well and with meaning to the -person- the artwork is on.

That's the biggest thing to me, if it means nothing to you and you picked it just to look deco, or whatever....less optimal then something filled with meaning to you.

p.s. ignore the lecturing folks...they just really cannot help themselves.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
This is a tough one, since the traditional Sailor Jerry style tattoos that were popular during the Golden Era weren't very deco at all.

So you may be stuck choosing between a tattoo that is period accurate or a tattoo that accurately captures the essence of the period.

This:
Traditional-Tattoo-Designs-010.jpg

or this:
art_deco_circle_large.JPG

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
To my mind, nothing says "golden era" like authentic tattoos from the period. Here are some sheets of flash from the 1910's-1930's:

1930's
antiqueamerican1930_6.jpg

1920's
antiqueamerican1920_7.jpg

1920's
antiqueamerican5.jpg

1910's
fabaldwin1910_15.jpg

There is a tattoo that shows up in early Max Fleischer cartoons like Betty Boop and is associated with ghostly events as i recall. As best I can remember it's either a skull or a somewhat emaciated old man's face with longish hair in a top hat there is an arm coming down and the forearm and hand is pointing forward with the Agorna or horns / evil eye hand sign but vertical instead of horizontal. It shows up now and again in some really old B&W cartoons and other stuff. To me it seems a good rockabilly type tattoo having some wild connotations to it. I have not seen it in a long time so my memory is a little fuzzy on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust