Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get Low

coble

A-List Customer
yes i saw the preview yesterday. This movie looks really good, very unique, and i think its going to be a really good original movie. The fedora that Robert Duvall (one of my favorite actors) is an amazing looking hat. Plus the clothes in this movie look great. I especially like Robert Duvall's double breasted coat.
I think more people need to go check this preview out, it comes out on July.30th 2010. I know I'm hitting the theaters for this film.

vintage68

Practically Family
Apple has a new, second preview for the movie on its website. I'm hoping that with all the positive press it will open in more theaters. Currently it's supposed to open only in NY and LA near the end of the month.

coble

A-List Customer
the second preview is really good. I wonder when the release date is for the rest of the u.s. I like how the second preview goes into a little more detail without ruining it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't had a chance to see the previews yet, but do you all believe this will be another one of Murray's mid-life-crisis roles? Not that I'm complaining...

vintage68 said:
I don't think so. I've read some press about the movie being "Oscar" material, and Bill Murray's role might get a Best Supporting Actor nod. We'll see.
It couldn't possibly be as good as his role in Zombieland. :D

But seriously, I saw the first trailer in the theater a couple of months ago, and thought it looked like a really good film...then promptly forgot about it. Fortunately, I live in the L.A. area, so chances are good I'll be able to see it opening weekend.

Professor

A-List Customer
I'm really anxious to see this! -Dave

Like many great actors of narrow range, Robert Duvall and Bill Murray — both leads in the resonant new indie film Get Low — have grown thoroughly fused in the public mind with the misanthropic loners they habitually play. Try picturing Duvall as Santa Claus or Murray as an extroverted party animal (well, OK, Meatballs), and you'll see what I mean.

In Get Low, the assured directing debut of Kiss the Girls cinematographer Aaron Schneider, Duvall and Murray play monosyllabic Southerners pursuing a common goal for very different reasons. Duvall, craggy and implacable, is Felix Bush, a backwoods hermit who — after 40 years of self-imposed exile — rides into town one day in the late 1930s to arrange his own "living funeral." Felix's murky past is the source of many an embellished local legend, and he wants, or so he says, to hear all versions before he dies.

Bush is the scary talk of the town, but all the gossips keep a safe distance from him. Not so the underemployed funeral director Frank Quinn (Murray, wearing a toothbrush mustache and his customary sour half-smile) and his more personable young apprentice (American Gothic's Lucas Black), who mount an aggressive campaign to win Felix's business. So begins a struggle for control over the event — and over Felix's history — that segues into a darkly comic, oddly sweet effort to stage the most sensational memorial this sleepy town has ever seen.

The key to Felix's isolation lies in a long-buried secret involving two women, one of them played with discreet sparkle by Sissy Spacek, the other appearing in a worn old photograph. Hovering in the wings is an enigmatic minister (the excellent Bill Cobbs) who, for reasons he'd prefer to keep to himself, is none too keen to preach at Felix's premature wake.

Handsomely and vividly mounted, in a palette of period chocolates and golds, Get Low opens with an image of a burning man running from a house on fire — an enticing promise of Southern Gothic that the movie never quite fulfills. The crisply retro screenplay by Chris Provenzano (Mad Men) and C. Gaby Mitchell (Blood Diamond) has been lathered up from tales of a real-life Tennessee rake who attracted thousands of "mourners" to his own funeral by selling lottery tickets to his land. The real Felix, a canny early manipulator of the media event, sustained his defiant bravado to the end, but the movie softens his story into a parable of atonement and forgiveness; it's a fleetingly satisfying sort of sentimentality that would have curled the lips of purists like William Faulkner or Flannery O'Connor.

That said, the calculated minimalism of Duvall and Murray — the way this odd couple dances straight-faced along the line between drama and black comedy — restores to Get Low its bracing tone of fierce obstinacy. Bursting into speech at last at his own graveside, Felix reveals to the assembled crowd why he chose to live for nearly half a century in a world of stopped clocks. It's less the secret itself — a standard-issue forbidden romance, albeit one tinged with menace — that lends these final moments their power to move us, and more the sight of a man achieving what few of us get to do at the tail end of our lives. It's said that funerals are for the living, but Felix, with the aid of an undertaker who thought he lived for no one but himself, steals back his own memorial, clears his own ledger of debit and credit — and chooses how, when and where he will get low.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/C25TG5kLJGw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/C25TG5kLJGw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25TG5kLJGw

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Saw "Get Low" Today. It was Fantastic. The cast was excellent, story was great.
I personally think it was one of Murray's best more serious roles, and Duvall was obviously excellent.

vintage68

Practically Family
Glad to hear one of "us" liked it, it's been getting great reviews.

I had heard the movie wasn't going to open in wide release, so I'm disappointed that I'm not able to see it opening weekend. Hopefully it'll be in more theaters soon.

vintage68 said:
I had heard the movie wasn't going to open in wide release, so I'm disappointed that I'm not able to see it opening weekend. Hopefully it'll be in more theaters soon.
According to the Sony Pictures website, the film will begin wider (but still somewhat limited) distribution starting next weekend.

I saw the film today with a couple of friends, and we all really enjoyed it. Solid performances throughout, telling an interesting (though rather basic) story; to say anything more about the plot than was stated in the review Professor posted above might be too "revealing" (and I hate spoilers). I don't know if every little bit of wardrobe, set design, etc., are period correct, but they certainly look and "feel" that way, likewise for the score/soundtrack. IMO, the film is definitely worth seeing if you like period dramas.

vintage68

Practically Family
Get Low finally opened here in N. Nevada, and I went to see the matinee this morning. REALLY enjoyed it.

I thought all the performances were terrific, and the hats and wardrobe are definitely worth checking out for the Loungers. Nothing the actors wore looked new or "designed", especially the hats which looked very authentic for the period.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Excellent Robert Duvall 1930's-period piece....see it if you can. :)

getlow.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194263/

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael