Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman's clothing - in 1807? Help?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I will be attending an event on July 1 that marks the anniversary of something that happened in 1807. I can optionally dress accordingly, and of course, I smell the chance to get some new kit. :)

I can go mid -1800's frontier, which is easy with some Wahmaker stuff.

But what about a man's clothing in 1807? What is correct? Still knee breeches, right? A neck wrap? Poet sleeves? Could breeches be worn with riding boots?

I know we have several colonial reenactors here. Help??

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I've found the book, Lewis & Clark: Tailor Made, Trail Worn by Robert J. Moore, Jr and Michael Haynes to be very informative on mens fashions of the era. Although it speaks mostly of military and frontier styles, I felt it gave a good reprecentation of what was worn by gentlemen and regular Joes of the time. As for retailers of period clothing I've always liked www.jas-townsend.com

Haversack

One Too Many
I also recommend www.jas-townsend.com. I've found their goods and service to be good value for many years. I bought some of their clothing over the years and found it to be well made. I particularly like their 1790-1810 waistcoat. Depending on where and what level of society you seek to dress as, they can probably advise you on fabric and cut. Also, their new catalog just came out.

Haversack.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
According to The Birth of the Modern (1815 to 1830) by Paul Johnston (sp?), prior to 1815, gentlemen wore breeches and stockings, rouge, powder and wigs, while men of lower classes wore trousers (and probably none of the other accoutrements considered feminine today). Brighter colors were in vogue then, too. The trim, tailored suit with trousers in dark colors came from Saville Row c. 1815.

See how much good my classical education is doing for my friends and me?

Rooster

Practically Family
I may have everything you need if you want to borrow. I'll root around in the attic and see what I still have. If I remember correctly, you and I are about the same size.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Scott, that's Lauren's specialty time period. if you still have a way to get in touch with her I'm sure she can help you out.

If you don't have any current contact info, I can get a note to her. You may have to PM me your e-mail though. I can't remember if I have it or not.

Something that just occurred to me, watch that movie with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman, Kate & Leopold. Not a great movie, but Hugh Jackman had the wardrobe goin' on!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow, that would be amazing.

I've learned a lot in the past few hours. It's Regency period, with breeches, square-bottomed waistcoats with stock collars, and a sort of cutaway coat with wide lapels. I've also discovered that there isn't time to get it all put together from scratch. There are several sources, but most seem to need 4 - 6 weeks to make things up.
And boots - holy smoke. $$$.
dresscoat20.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
If time is of the essence you can do Frontiersman/Longhunter for cheaper and quicker.
Calico shirt, sash around the waist with a hatchet tucked in, tricorn hat, powder horn slung across the shoulder.
If you are really brave you can do the breechcloth and native style leggings.
Top if off with a flintlock and a few other accessories and you are set.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
And boots - holy smoke. $$$.
dresscoat20.jpg

That's why I don't have any equestrian-style boots, as stylish and practical as they'd be here in the winter.

Nice drawing. From that style of clothing to sports jerseys and plastic shoes...ah, Progress.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
If you're going for a military look this site may do the trick.

http://www.jarnaginco.com/

The colonial look may be found at this site.

http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?osCsid=acfcd59d1cb151332aeefa8f86932dcc

I had these folks make a custom overcoat years ago. They do really good work for a decent price and their communication is exceptional.

http://www.jpsoule.com/

Hats here. They make some very good period hats.

http://www.clearwaterhats.com/

I used to frequent these sites when I was in to the mountain man / colonial longhunter impressions.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ugh. I just don't think there is time to put together an 1807 impression, unless I can borrow some stuff.

It is the main celebration of my town's bicentennial. It used to be a canal town, so that's the focus. I can do a canal boater pretty easily.

CM83.jpg

1012-natural.jpg

And some nondescript boots with a big plain straw hat.

Rooster

Practically Family
I can loan a shirt, waistcoat and probably a wild stripped overcoat. This stuffis all 1750's rather than 1800..

manton

A-List Customer
Keep in mind that in 1807, things were really changing in England, and those changes had barely started to cross the Atlantic. Americans were more rustic in the countryside, and more overdone in the city. Brummell's regency reinvenion of clothing took until about 1820 or so to get here.

metropd

One Too Many
Rooster said:
I can loan a shirt, waistcoat and probably a wild stripped overcoat. This stuffis all 1750's rather than 1800..

100% correct, I find it very very odd that a society of people devoted to an era of clothes has no clue about one of the biggest if not the most reveloutiary changes in menswear. Wigs were comming off already in the 1780's tricorn hats were being replaced with different variations of the bicorne hats and semi-bicorne hats in the 1780's(made poplular in the 1770s by American army generals) Know one of well to do stature would be caught dead in a tricorne in 1807. It was the height of bicorne hats and the very begining of the 19th century top hat. The bell crown top hat soon replaced the bicorne hat in the 1820's as every day wear except by a few dashing gentlemen and the National Police forces in Italy and France well the were worn for many more decades on patrol(especially Italy)

as for cravats they got more elaborate during regency with a number very flamboyant but yet regal and stylish variations.

If you want a jacket for 1807 the half split double breasted tailcoat is perfect, make sure it has roped soulders and the back top of the lapel is higher than the mid front portion.

metropd

One Too Many
manton said:
Keep in mind that in 1807, things were really changing in England, and those changes had barely started to cross the Atlantic. Americans were more rustic in the countryside, and more overdone in the city. Brummell's regency reinvenion of clothing took until about 1820 or so to get here.

Also very true Manton, but the standards of the fedora lounge premote a gentlmen to be as well dressed, stylish and convey the utmost pride in ones dress as possible and Brummel's satorial rennisance and Regency England is the epitiome of those standards and the highest we could exceed too. In my opinion I would much rather look like an English dandy in the city than a low income worker in
1750's garb in 1807

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust