Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur collars and rain

JLStorm

Practically Family
I will make an attempt not to wear my new aero in the rain since it has a fur collar, but where I live we do get down pours out of nowhere and Im not going to baby the jacket too much. What type of damage might the fur incur if worn in the rain and whats the best way to dry it? Im assuming air dry is best, but would patting it dry with a cloth and then hanging it to dry better?

My other Aero has a shearling collar, but its only worn when its too cold to rain.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
How many bears/elks/sheep/otters...whatever, have you ever seen with a rotten/bad/ugly looking fur????
lol
Fur is made to take it. Rain, snow whatever. Even when it's not placed at the "live animal".
Just take it easy. Use you jacket in whatever weather. It will dry up.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire's right. I've worn my ELC Irvin in snow, rain, hail and sleet and it hasn't harmed it one little bit.

I think there's a tendency to treat high-price leather and sheepskin jackets with ridiculous delicacy, probably due in no small part to the amount of money that is spent on these items. As a result it seems there's a tendency to be over protective with them. Leather and sheepskin is more than capable of surviving wet weather conditions without any adverse affects.

As Spitfire says, how many sheep or cows do you see falling apart after getting rained on. My advice would be to wear your jacket and enjoy it, sun, rain or snow.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Spitfire said:
How many bears/elks/sheep/otters...whatever, have you ever seen with a rotten/bad/ugly looking fur????
lol
Fur is made to take it. Rain, snow whatever. Even when it's not placed at the "live animal".
Just take it easy. Use you jacket in whatever weather. It will dry up.

"Quite correct Spitfire, old Chap, Although a full-length coat can become rather heavy in a downpour"

Raccoon+coats.jpg

Trapp72

New in Town
I'd be more worried about it getting moldy if the fur isn't dried properly, that and it probably isn't very comfortable wearing a wet and furry jacket.

J

john z

I once spent a whole day outside in pouring rain at a scooter racing event wearing a 60s G1. Once in the dry I squeeze dried the collar with kitchen roll to get as much H2O out as poss & let it dry naturally indoors at ambient room temperature. Didn't do the collar any harm at all. A wet mouton collar around the neck all day is not the most comfortable of experiences though.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Although the mouton that's been used for making your collar is fully tanned the fur still keeps a bit of it's original water repellant properties. Don't worry when the collar gets wet. Whipe off rain drops with your hand and let it air dry. Use a towel when it really gets soaked with water. That's it basically.

Edward

Bartender
john z said:
A wet mouton collar around the neck all day is not the most comfortable of experiences though.

Yes.... I've been caught in both my Aero AN6552 and Lost Worlds B3 in fairly heavy rain (on separate occasions, of course!) and had no problem drying them out, though I agree it can be uncomfortable around the neck. For that reason, and no other, I would tend to go for something else if I knew there was likely to be heavy rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe