Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free Hat Book! -- 'Hats of the Century' Online

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I know that I've been raving about it, but there really aren't many hat books to discuss aside from Debbie Henderson's Hat Talk. After reading it, I checked her pretty extensive bibliography to see which, if any, of her sources might be worth checking out further.

One in particular caught my attention. A Century of Hats and the Hats of the Century, a short work by and about Mallory, was one of her frequently cited sources, though its 1923 copyright made me believe that I'd never be able to find it. Sure enough, there's no way to get it from Amazon, Alibris, eBay, or any of the other usual suspects.

Then, viola! The entire book can be read on the web.

Enjoy!

0008.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This, the hat museum, and gathering all of the photos for the Ships thread are the result of the Great Lounge Crash. Had I been posting here, I never would have found them. Maybe the Lounge should close once a week to force me to get a little fresh air. ;)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm putting this as a sticky temporarily in hopes of bringing attention to it. I have also added a direct link to the book to the Important Links thread. I'll release this from being stickied after awhile, but the direct link will remain.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good call

AlanC said:
I'm putting this as a sticky temporarily in hopes of bringing attention to it. I have also added a direct link to the book to the Important Links thread. I'll release this from being stickied after awhile, but the direct link will remain.

Very cool... and I love the large print!

rrog

A-List Customer
There's a link on the left for people to request reprints of the book. Just requesting does not guarantee that they will, but if enough interest in a reprint is shown (determined by the number of requests), they will eventually reprint it. Maybe this is something the Lounge could help out with.

Rick

rrog

A-List Customer
Well, maybe not. I just tried to submit a request and it kept giving me the "The Website Cannot Display the Page" error message! I'll try again later.

Rick

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
who is the author please??

I have a book called "The Century of Hats, Headturning Style of the Twentieth Century" by Susie Hopkins. It has ladies and men's hats by decade. Is this the same book? I gotta go check the links page..

barrowjh

One Too Many
Price of Beaver

The book mentions that the price of beaver fur was $45 a pound in 1923 (pgs 12-13). The price of gold was just $21.32 average for 1923, so a pound of beaver fur was worth 2 ounces of gold in 1923! Today that would be about $1,800 to the pound of beaver, but I think todays price is probably about $200 per Kilo of beaver fur; quite a bargain in relative terms.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
I know that I've been raving about it, but there really aren't many hat books to discuss aside from Debbie Henderson's Hat Talk. After reading it, I checked her pretty extensive bibliography to see which, if any, of her sources might be worth checking out further.

One in particular caught my attention. A Century of Hats and the Hats of the Century, a short work by and about Mallory, was one of her frequently cited sources, though its 1923 copyright made me believe that I'd never be able to find it. Sure enough, there's no way to get it from Amazon, Alibris, eBay, or any of the other usual suspects.

Then, viola! The entire book can be read on the web.

Enjoy!

0008.jpg

Thats all I get :( :

"Error while searching in Human Ecology

You must specify the Issue ID of the desired page."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe