Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear!!! Help!

mnp13

New in Town
I'm going to a black tie event in two and a half weeks, I was told that it was in mid-February, but I just checked the date... and so much for believing "the boy." :eusa_doh:

I'm beyond fortunate that I have a dress maker practically on call (my sister is a professional costumer) but she's in the middle of three shows and doesn't have time to help me research... so... help!!!

I'm in a 40's (ish) pinup calendar, so I'd like to figure out something that could be in that as well - might as well have it do double duty!

Any ideas, pointers, thoughts... anything would be more than welcome!!!!

Michelle

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Pin up and Black Tie don't mix well. For Black Tie you want to look elegant.
Forget double duty, have your seamstress sister help you later for the pinup outfit. For 40s stuff with no seamtress available, go evilBay- surely you can find a lovely vintage 40s gown. Check vintage clothing stores or 40s reproduction websites too. Try looking up a google search on vintage 40s ladies clothing on the web to get ideas of styles if you need to. Lots of gals in our local Art Deco Society wear classic silk satin long gowns, adding a 30s or 40s rhinestone dress clip or two for drama. I have two particular modern gowns I've worn to deco events that passed fine for the deco era with vintage earrings and a vintage hairstyle.

mnp13 said:
I'm going to a black tie event in two and a half weeks, I was told that it was in mid-February, but I just checked the date... and so much for believing "the boy." :eusa_doh:

I'm beyond fortunate that I have a dress maker practically on call (my sister is a professional costumer) but she's in the middle of three shows and doesn't have time to help me research... so... help!!!

I'm in a 40's (ish) pinup calendar, so I'd like to figure out something that could be in that as well - might as well have it do double duty!

Any ideas, pointers, thoughts... anything would be more than welcome!!!!

Michelle

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Perfect advice. Keep in mind that black tie is, theoretically at least, less formal than white tie. So a cocktail length dress should be acceptable as well. But it should be elegant. Doesn't mean it can't be sexy, but a touch of class is called for. However if you find a gown that you like, go for it! Every woman should have a gown or two, just as every man should have a tux.

Corky

Practically Family
My wife wears a Black Tie outfit for a Marlene Dietrich look...

My wife wears a Black Tie outfit for a Marlene Dietrich look...

marlene+dietrich_tuxedo.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Friend of mine swears by Vivien of Holloway's circle-skirt dresses. One of the plain-coloured ones in a nice satin would be perfect for black tie, IMO.

http://www.vivienofholloway.com/

Likely the timing might be too tight for you to get one of those for your event, but worth a look for inspiration.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
Likely the timing might be too tight for you to get one of those for your event....
That's a good bet as the event was held last week. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe