Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forgotten Battle.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
While surfing around I decided to look up the battle of Attu Island in the Aleutians as my late uncle was there, and I didn't really know much at all about the whole thing as he never talked about it. I found this very informative link to a documentary from last year called, "Red, White, Black and Blue." Attu was never really cleaned up after the battle, so to this day it remains a sort of vast museum of the war. Artifacts, including unexploded ordinance is everywhere. After watching the trailer and some period films at the site, I have to get this and watch it. Looks extremely interesting. http://www.alaskainvasion.com/playing.html

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Chapter Fourteen "An Alaskan Diversion" in Edwin Kiester Jr's "An Incomplete History of World War II" is all about Attu and the Aleutians.

It's an interesting and enjoyable book, he's also got a book in the same vein called "An Incomplete History of World War I" that's about the Great War.

dv

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
DutchIndo said:
I saw a documentary years ago, apparently the US troops were Desert trained
and equipped accordingly.
Yes they were trained in the Mohave Desert! Then thrown into battle with 3 days provisions in a completely different environment. Over 4,000 lives were lost, almost 2,500 Japanese. A very significant battle to regain U.S. territory that we know surprisingly little about. No one will be able to visit the battlefield as they do other more famous sites such as Normandy.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, sounded like a general nightmare. :( But somehow overlooked by history. Maybe just compared to larger battles of the war it seemed somehow insignificant to the general public by comparison? But in reality as bad as any battle could be, and even worse with the weather, and the fact that it was fought on U.S. soil..

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very interesting. I'll have to look into that.
My dad and I always wanted to take a dream trip to Alaska and once when we were wishing he blurted out he'd like to go to Alaska again.
Again?
Oops, but after he realized the required fifty years had passed he told me he'd tell me about it someday, but he never did.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
Very interesting. I'll have to look into that.
My dad and I always wanted to take a dream trip to Alaska and once when we were wishing he blurted out he'd like to go to Alaska again.
Again?
Oops, but after he realized the required fifty years had passed he told me he'd tell me about it someday, but he never did.
He was there? My uncle never talked about any of it either, as was the case with most vets I think. I wouldn't want to talk much about something like that either. :( .

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
Great topic! I was doing blog research and came across the Hula-Two and ASLIB stuff during World War II and came across some primary resources on some of the buildings and airfields that still remain from the Army and the Air Corps.

Here's some links if you are interested:

http://www.history.navy.mil/nhc6.htm Book Review

Here is the LOC Prints & Photos Division subject heading for more information:

Fort Randall, Cold Bay, Aleutian Islands, AK

Finally, and I am by no means promoting my blog, just that it has the background mentioned above:

http://history.writingwithtony.com/...of-hula-two-aslib-and-the-unknown-lend-lease/

Great topic!

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
This A-2 that I am proud to own took part in the Aleutians as well as part of the 57th FS/54th FG. The patch was the only one they had and was "unofficial" nonetheless it was their squadron emblem and very rare. This squadron flew P-39s. They were stationed at Kodiak, AK during the Aleutians campaign.

found some pics of the same squadron in "Report from the Aleutians". Have a look, it´s about midway through the film the pilots are sitting around a table and there are several with the same jacket.

CIMG6577.jpg

paulin57fs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld