Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Custom Aero Highwayman - fit advice

Team_Feisar

New in Town
Hey y'all,

first Leather Jacket, first Thread on here - so please bear with fit check anxiety no. XXX.

I quite recently got into the heritage inspired side of menswear and decided to go for an Aero as my first "good" leather jacket.
As we have a retail partner in Southern Germany, I could try out some stock jackets and soon settled on a classic Highwayman for general versatility and layering options.
As I'm 6'7 with a general lean build, so the Premiere looked better standing still and with just a shirt underneath, but felt too restrictive in motion and I wanted sth that can easily be worn with layers under in the colder months.

We settled on a standard HWMN in 44 as the Base with 2inch+ on the sleeves, 1inch+ in the body and 2inch-on the waist with a slight V shape from the arms down.

Six months later (yesterday :D) i finally could pick up the jacket and I'm generally happy with it - I think. So I'd like to get some feedback on the fit.
I like the length and overall shape, but I have to say the shoulders are actually a bit wider than on the stock 44 I tried for reference and I'm afraid they'll start looking droop-ish as soon as the leather softens up. Also, the back is wider in general than I thought and I didn't expect it to bunch up around the arms/shoulders as much as it does.

I'd say it's a "decent-ish" fit at least, but a small yet persistent voice in my head is still not sure if I should have used a size 42 as the base or gone straight to the premiere anyway.

Here are some pics as reference.

IMG_20240707_140532.jpg

IMG_20240707_142014.jpg

IMG_20240707_140636.jpg

IMG_20240707_140445.jpg

IMG_20240707_140612.jpg

(I realize the sleeves look shortish here but I must confess I hate having pictures of me taken and held my arms back super stiff against the natural curve of the sleeves. They actually hit around the thumb knuckle when standing like a normal person)

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Last edited:

newtojackets

Practically Family
We are our own worst critics. The jacket looks great.

A 42, particularly with an aero pattern might have felt too restrictive.

I agree the shoulders are on the big side, but I think the highwayman generally has large shoulders, so it’s just part of the design

Biff42

A-List Customer
I think it looks good. I bet it'll break in and drape a little better with wear.

Edward

Bartender
The Highwayman is a boxier fit in this standard version - that one looks like it fits as they style should to my eye. In stiffer hides, it can look a little odd until it softens / settles / breaks in - it'll be fine after that. Wear it every day for a month, it'll be grand.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Fit is decent. A bit on the large side, but one size down would probably be a T-Shirt only fit. You can try and cinch the waist-adjusters a bit more.
Overall, I think you did very well. The colour is super versatile and will age beautifully.

Team_Feisar

New in Town
Thanks for the replies! I'm liking it more with every wear - as it should be.

Interesting how fast one can goe from "I think ill finally pull the trigger on one customized jacket" to a full list of to-buy's :D
Being out of the sizing range of almost every stock jacket and almost the entire 2nd hand market is tough on the budget but makes one appreciate the customization option even more.

How you all manage to not get completely choice paralyzed with so many makers and things to take into consideration with measurments is beyond me.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Fits great to my eye and as the leather softens and drapes it will look even better - good choice!

Buick

Familiar Face
I think the issue is that you want two jackets! You wanted one that would work well with movement and some layering, and I would bet that if you put a jumper on under this jacket and go about some day to day tasks that it will feel perfect for what you had planned for it; but you can't ask a jacket with room for layering to ALSO be perfectly close fitting when not layered up and standing still.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks good. It's a relaxed look but I also would not size down. If you want the skin tight look that still works mobility wise you'd have to look at customizing the Board Racer pattern or other motorcycle jacket makers.
Nothing like your first CXL FQHH jacket. Congrats!

Robson

Familiar Face
The jacket needs time to settle. I own a HWM for 10 years now, and it is my most versatile leather jacket. Its roomy and very easy to throw on, over sweater/hoody or t-shirt, very wearable.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Excellent color and leather on that jacket. You did very well here, as many have found, the Highwayman is not an easy fit, and being taller of stature is a little more challenging however.

Wear & Enjoy it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld