Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fireworks and pets

davestlouis

Practically Family
My little Boston Terrier, Dozer, hates fireworks...he has been running around in circles, snarling and barking, and wants to go outside to bark at the fireworks. Anybody else have pets that react negatively to fireworks?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We have a HUGE half Mastiff, half Lab that is afraid of nothing except fireworks, gun shots, and thunder. The poor dog tries to tare the door off to get inside when he hears these noises. At the first "bang" we always let Bear inside. He's just fine then. Sometimes he has a look on his face that makes me think he's acting scared just to come inside and be a "special dog". [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I haven't seen a fireworks display in about 6 years on the 4th.
My dog, Georgia an 85 lb shar-pei/Rhodesian ridgeback cross, is scared to death of them. Shes shaking at my feet right now.

In the past when Ive gone out and left her alone, shes soiled herself, had negative reactions to going outside after, and just did not adjust well at all. So I dont go anymore.

Its the only time of the whole year where she really, really needs me. I dont mind being there to hold her while shes terrified.

LD

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
We have two scared dogs inside and two scared horses outside. We're going back and forth with hugs and treats. It is hoped the neighbors will be going to bed soon and/or are out of money for more fireworks.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i find fireworks that are not in the hands of trained professionals to be terrifying also.

Being in France on Bastille Day was what I imagine being in a war zone would be like - ducking and dodging and the sounds of sirens everywhere

I hope this helps. http://www.dogclub.co.uk/advice/fireworks.php

I no longer have a dog but my newfoundlander never liked fireworks.

Warning!! disgusting cute video of a newfoundlander (landseer) and a baby playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYl8SYNuaKQ

Lord Byron's Epitaph to a Dog

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown by Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy words deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who perchance behold this simple urn,
Pass on – it honors none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one – and here he lies.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Possible Work-arounds...

My wife and I have gun-dogs (setters) who, as can be imagined, need to be at their best around very load, very close noises. A very traditional--and in our experience, very successful--way to noise-proof your dogs is to associate (preferably at an early age) loud noises with something good...like food. Starting GENTLY, begin to wallop a pot, or close a cupboard door when you feed. There will almost certainly be a startle reaction; stay calm yourself, allow the dog to feed, and repeat. As the dog becomes used to the sound, increase it incrementally and, hopefully, soon the animal will begin to associate loud noises with good things. It certainly has worked with ours.

The bad news is...sometimes even well noise-broken dogs can get fearful no matter what you do. Our older dog, Dan, has NO problem with a 12g going off right over him--never did, doesn't now. Now 12, he began to be worried by thunder about 7 years ago. The good news is: this year, he seems to have gotten over it...couldn't be bothered less, just like he was when he was young. Who knows?

If a dog is already fearful, it may be hard if not impossible to cure the fear. If you have the option, start with the young pup and hope for the best.

"Skeet"

Mav

A-List Customer
My 90 lb. Swissy mix is freaking, but he has done so his last 4 years, and there is nothing that can be done about it. My Chow did the same thing; such is life. Dogs don't like fireworks.
I, on the other hand, am a total pyro, and enjoy the hell out of it. And, it's all about me.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
animal-dog-rocket1.gif

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This definitely applies to my family's golden retriever... we have a problem with him digging the garden, and he goes crazy at the point of hearing fireworks go off.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
I hope this helps. http://www.dogclub.co.uk/advice/fireworks.php

I no longer have a dog but my newfoundlander never liked fireworks.

Warning!! disgusting cute video of a newfoundlander (landseer) and a baby playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYl8SYNuaKQ

Lovely! Newfies are just the best dogs.

My cat is not the least bit bothered by fireworks, which is good, because there are a lot of occasions for fireworks in this neighbourhood. But it makes me so sad to see all the lost dog posters up around the place the morning after - there always seem to be two or three who bolt and I wonder if any of them get home again.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I've read a few dog behaviour books and one thing I know you should not do if a dog is afraid of fireworks is give them treats and lots of attention. It acts as a reward for the feared behaviour and conditions the dogs to react the same every time they hear fireworks and even heightens their nerves. Furthermore it reaffirms their reaction as you seem afraid as well and worried as your behaviour becomes either erratic or out of the ordinary, which in turn makes the reaction worse.

With my dog who doesn't like fireworks either, we all calmly sit inside and act as normal as possible, even though she looks perturbed, the nerves never get to a ridiculous level. She now just sits there with a bit of a solemn look on her face.

Something else you can do to help is take the dog out for a long walk before, if you know there are going to be fireworks. This helps tire them out so that they may have less energy and less stamina during the fireworks to behave erratically.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:

lol
Which reminds me that my two bassethounds used to snore like logs even during the heaviest firework inferno on New Years eve.
Nothing could disturb their beautysleep - except the sound of a can opener or somebody opening the fridge.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Back home in NZ we always kept the pets inside on Guy Fawkes (when Kiwis let off their crackers). It was encouraged by the RSPCA.

Dav

One Too Many
The dog in my avatar (Frank) has no fear of fireworks whatsoever.
Hiccups on the other hand reduce him to a quivering jelly.
Strange dog

Foofoogal

Banned
Timely as I could not sleep last night due to the many fireworks going off. Told honey I think every dog in town is barking their heads off. Poor things. I am sure the cats are not too fond of them either. :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]My wife and I have gun-dogs (setters) who, as can be imagined, need to be at their best around very load, very close noises. A very traditional--and in our experience, very successful--way to noise-proof your dogs is to associate (preferably at an early age) loud noises with something good...like food. Starting GENTLY, begin to wallop a pot, or close a cupboard door when you feed. There will almost certainly be a startle reaction; stay calm yourself, allow the dog to feed, and repeat. As the dog becomes used to the sound, increase it incrementally and, hopefully, soon the animal will begin to associate loud noises with good things. It certainly has worked with ours.

The bad news is...sometimes even well noise-broken dogs can get fearful no matter what you do. Our older dog, Dan, has NO problem with a 12g going off right over him--never did, doesn't now. Now 12, he began to be worried by thunder about 7 years ago. The good news is: this year, he seems to have gotten over it...couldn't be bothered less, just like he was when he was young. Who knows?

If a dog is already fearful, it may be hard if not impossible to cure the fear. If you have the option, start with the young pup and hope for the best.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

That is very good advice for anyone with young dogs. Getting pets used to common loud noises can only be good for them.
Living in a city we've had to get our dog used to the rumbling traffic that can sometimes sound like fireworks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter