Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding the right USAAF khaki trousers

Stele

New in Town
Hey everyone; I'm new to the forum. I've thought about trying to recreate a uniform similar to what my father wore during WW2. He was in the 3rd Airforce, so he was at "home" throughout the war as he helped out the air traffic control teams in the tower.

Anyways, I would like to start off with the basics; ie the trousers, shirt, shoes, tie, belt and I'll work my way through the details. As I look on a lot of sites I'm finding so many variations of the khaki and olive drab uniforms. I'm looking for olive drab mostly, based on pictures I have of my father. How are these different from "pinks" I've read about online? They don't look olive drab or khaki... I'm finding this really confusing...

I found these trousers from the links this forum provides; but what is your take?

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=usukp

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gene

Practically Family
Summer khakis were issued during the hot months during training in the US or for anyone in a tropical climate. I'm assuming since your father was in the 3rd he was in the states for the duration?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I own two pair and like them a lot. Dad's were long worn out so I can't compare to real WW2 ones, but they fit well and are well made. Well worth the $50 and shipping.

later

archbury918

One of the Regulars
"pinks" is the nickname given the drab shade of the officer's gaberdine wool class A uniform. It was derived from the hue of the fawn colored shirt and trousers. Later in WWII, officers were permitted to wear matching trousers of the dark green blouse.
This is a winter only item so your father would've worn the tan cotton uniform most of the time.
Officers had to buy their uniforms so its likely they came from a nearby base tailor. The cut was the same either way. Most had flaps on rear pockets.
The summer tans were often worn after the war, that's why fewer survived the years.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... The summer tans were often worn after the war, that's why fewer survived the years.

Dad said he wore his two or three pair of Olive Drab wool Class A's in college and teaching until they wore through. His shirts are in the closet, and his Class A tunic is too. I also have one shirt and his HBT shirt with the huge pockets. His roughouts are still in the garage. He wore them mowing the yard until his open heart surgery in 1984. I think he still wore them picking up limbs etc after that.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe