Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally, a 1930s overcoat !

Levallois

Practically Family
I've been addicted to vintage overcoats for awhile and have accumulated a late 1940s OC and an early 1950s OC before finally pulling the trigger on this 1930s made one today. It was pricey but hopefully it will stop this ridiculous obsession with these things. It was made by M. Rock of 460 Park Avenue, New York, out of black gabardine. Here are two of the seller's photos with more to follow once I receive it. Thanks for looking!

John

Blackovercoat1.jpg

Blackovercoat4.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
More photos -

DSC01269.jpg

it's definitely a late 1930s coat because I was able to confirm that it indeed had a tag that has a 1939 date.

DSC01267.jpg

however, I don't think it has cuffs - someone appeared to have cut off the buttons and folded the sleeve back as the arms are super long - the lining goes to within 1-ich of the front of the sleeve and when the sleeve is folded you see the lining - that isn't right for cuffs, is it?

DSC01262.jpg

It has a boutonnière holder behind the collar and under the button hole

DSC01265.jpg

The button holes look to be hand sewn?

DSC01272.jpg

The front buttons are covered by individual flaps for each button.

DSC01271.jpg

I guess it is a gabardine but it somehow seems different than my 1950s wool gabardine coat; both thicker and softer at the same time - a different feel. Is this a "typical" 1930s coat? Obviously, it was custom made but I would assume in a style of the times? I can't find out a thing about "M. Rock." Any observations, opinions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

John

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe