Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras and beards

Russ

One of the Regulars
This subject was brought up by several in another thread on alternatives to the fedora. When I did a forum search I found several posts on beards, but discovered that a disproportionate number were posted by ME, which leads me to believe it's time for me to stop "beating around the bush" and just start a thread and get it off my chest, uh chin, uh, whatever.

Several have claimed that a fedora goes especially well on a bearded man, but I have my doubts (and this coming from a bearded man!). There is no doubt that a western hat or a bush hat looks fantastic with a beard -- almost requires a beard -- but a fedora?

During the golden era beards were not in fashion, so I have found very few movies or photos of beards and fedoras. I have to go to the 19th century -- or modern day Orthodox Jews or Amish -- to find a cultural climate that favors beards and hats.

I have been even tempted to shave my beard for the sake of my fedoras -- and see if I still have chin under there after all these years -- but but my wife forbids it. She hates five 0'clock shadow, and apparently is of the opinion that most of my face is better left hidden.

Do you all believe fedoras go well with beards? I'm hoping you will say yes, but am bracing myself for the nays. :)

Strider

One of the Regulars
I often do a goatee with mine, and I like the way it looks on me, personally. It makes my face look better once I put the hat on. I've never had an actual beard, per se, but I find the goatee look works for me.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Neatness counts

It depends on the face and how good you look in a beard generally. But as in all things, it's a matter of neatness. A neatly trimmed beard with a neat haircut, well dressed, etc. makes all the difference. A ZZ Top beard with a fedora looks like you're between gigs.
From your avatar, a beard suits you very well. And if you've had it for years, people are used to seeing you in it and you wouldn't be YOU anymore without it.

On you, it works. On Wildroot or Matt Deckard or me, no no no.... :)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if you can really go by what's in movies, they generally didn't want the actor's face obscured by facial hair. That's still true today.

My dad wore a beard most of his life, and he was born in 1906.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Gotta tell you...

I think a beard and fedora are natural together (see left). Two complementary types of fur. 'Course I've had a beard since I was 26, and worn fedoras longer than that, so you wouldn't really expect me to say "they don't work", would you?

As an observation, over the years I've had more women than I can count walk up to me and compliment me on my beard (many asking to touch it), and most of those times, I'm in a fedora. Never endowed with cinema-hero hair anyway, and now having lost most of what I once had, it may be that a balding guy with a beard is more compelling with a nice lid.

A rude reality hit me long ago. Even when dressed sharp, hatless I don't turn a lot of heads; just an average guy. Put me in some nice threads with a killer brim and ladies' darting eyes - sparkling - follow me.

Lest you think me vainglorious, I wear a hat because I like to, not to impress the dames. I played "all in" with my beauty 35 years ago and she's still the only game in town.

Largely, I think confidence in appearance is key. If you carry yourself well, and have a presence with people, the hat or beard or shirt or suit is just an accent anyway.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
I've had a beard for 37 years, 24/7. if you like the way you look with a beard why wouln't you like it with your hats? btw, i don't mind being told i look l(& my beard is short & trim) like i'm between gigs..itmakes me feel young(maybe like Neil!?!).

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I used to wear a Van Dyke a lot, but when I tried growing one a couple of years ago - the darn thing came in a whole different color than it was before!

I decided that since I have a healthy head of hair and it's grey enough, I'll pass on the beard.

What was the question?

Oh yeah, I think they look just fine. There's plenty of evidence that they look good just in the avatars in this forum.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife prefers me with facial hair and I am finally at a job that allows me to grow it. Does it go with a fedora? Hell yes. Any more then a clean shaved man? Hell no. In fact it also goes with a goatee, mutton shops, anything you want. That's just my opinion.
Johnny

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Russ, please keep that beard! Fedoras go with everything. I think the reason is that whatever you wear is improved when you don one. People notice them first, and it colours their view of everything else, they even assume I'm friendly and chat, which they don't do when I don't wear one.

Jeff.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Russ- you might find- to your horror, that without your beard, the hat just doesn't look the same.

You (one)can probably wear a taller crown with the beard than without...

Beards are like a chin extension, so, the hat height being a 'mirror' of eye to chin- a taller hat works with a beard with a little length.

Am I making sense...?:rolleyes:

B
T

qwerty

Familiar Face
For the last four years I had a full beard (I am 22 now) and it is kinda funny that this thread is started a day or two after I had shaved it all off. But it will grow back.
I have a silly question about beards and fedoras. You know that moldy smell a hat or a suite can have. Did your beard ever smell like that too. I did not notece that smell in my beard before I bought a fedora, but once that smell came in my life I started smelling it everywhere. And funny enough it is even in my beard. I started washing it regulary with shampoo but there was not much succes.
Did it ever happen to you?

qwerty said:
For the last four years I had a full beard (I am 22 now) and it is kinda funny that this thread is started a day or two after I had shaved it all off. But it will grow back.
I have a silly question about beards and fedoras. You know that moldy smell a hat or a suite can have. Did your beard ever smell like that too. I did not notece that smell in my beard before I bought a fedora, but once that smell came in my life I started smelling it everywhere. And funny enough it is even in my beard. I started washing it regulary with shampoo but there was not much succes.
Did it ever happen to you?

Whoa! Thank Goodness no.
I kind of does smell like ribs after I eat ribs though. :p

Regards,

J

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
As a clean shaven man, perhaps I am not fully qualified to say this. Nevertheless, I think that a bearded man in a fedora looks just as good as a clean shaven man in a hat. It's classy.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I can grow a massive beard, and it looks good on its own, but I don't think the beard looks as well with a hat as it does clean shaven. -edit... on ME. I think your beard looks good with that hat, but on me, I think I look better clean shaven with a hat.

That said, I still grow a beard once a year, from late October till around February.

GearHead

One of the Regulars
I think it looks just fine on you. I also have a goatee and think it goes well with my fedoras.
I had to shave mine off a couple of months ago because I needed some stitches to my chin (ouch) and I didn't look the same and the hats did look a little different on me.
My wife also prefers me with it so it's back now and probably will stay that way.

Erick

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Funny....

... but I've been thinking of starting a similar thread.

Some of the work I've been doing has required me to pair with a research assitant. She and I have had to meet fairly regularly for the last few months (and we will have to continue to do so, I've discoverd, for the next few weeks at least). She is in her mid twenties, very smart, very sharp. A few weeks ago, when we thought our gig was coming to a close, she asked:

"So, what's with the hat?"

"What about it?" I asked.

"Nothing. You usually see them on fat guys and guys with beards?"

I am neither fat nor do I wear a beard. I shrugged. The theory was new to me.

"It looks good on you though," she said, though not at all convincingly.

I was going to ask if this is a general perception, or if she has a unique way of looking at things. Now I can squeeze my question into this thread. Are most hat wearers in society today (as my students would say) men with beards or, as one FL member so succinctly put it, POR*?

(I have, I have to say, since then noticed that many of the few hat wearers I see around town do have beards and are rather portly. Not the Homburg Guy, though. He's as clean shaven as Mr Clean and as slim as a very slim fella in a homburg.)

*"People of Rotundity". Thanks TinT

EDITED to say: BEARD FUNK!?!?!?!
*barf*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe