Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential Kit for WWI USAAF / RAF Followers

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
THERE'S loads of us in here who love vintage military, whether its allies or axis, RAF or USAAF.

Today, I was just going through my mind, all the "uniform" things I have collected over the years to fuel my interest in the ARMY AIR FORCES (Corps).

Once you get all the BIG BUYS under your belt, like a good leather A-2, B3, B6..or whatever, you start to focus in on the smaller details, like the shoes, or the belt buckle...etc.

When I started out on this long road, it would have been a big help if someone had told me about the sorts of things to look out for, where to get them,and the rough cost of each item.

So how's about, as a team, we start to list the "essential kit" you feel should be got, where to possibly source it and what one might pay for it...

Shall I be mom and take the lead then...

Well my "MUST HAVE" item, is...

Chocolate officer's shirt (dark green).
For me, the chocolate looks the business (khaki is ok, but choc rocks!!).
Really good repros at Eastman leather Company in the UK.http://www.eastmanleather.com/
Aero are thinking about doing them.
What Price Glory I think do a version
Try WWII Impressions too.
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastmanleather/customerimages/products/offshirt.jpg
Cost at ELC, £64.99 (approx $100 US). For US customers, try Charlie at HPA.
But you can pick originals up on Ebay for anything between $30 (US) to $80 (US), and if you are patient, a good one will come along at a good price!
Also, the Rangoon shirt by Eastmans' come up on Ebay too, so could get a second hand one for a great price :)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
AAF Essential Kit - Part I (Bare Essentials)

Great idea for a thread, Paddy. More folks should have picked up on it. I am going to make two posts: (1) bare essentials; and (2) my current shopping list.

BARE ESSENTIALS:

WINTER CLASS A UNIFORM
1 chocolate (dark green) tunic
1 pair pink (taupe) pants
1 chocolate, pink, or khaki shirt
1 chocolate tie
1 pair tan or brown socks
1 pair brown shoes (preferably low quarter russets)
1 OD web belt
1 chocolate crusher with eagle cap device

FIELD UNIFORM
A-2 jacket with squadron patch
1 khaki shirt (or winter chocolate or pink)
1 pair khaki trousers (or winter pink)
1 khaki web belt
1 pair tan/brown socks
1 pair service shoes or low quarters

INSIGNIA, ETC.
2 rank insignia (min. Lt.)
1 pilot wing, 3" tunic size
2 ribbon bar with 3 ribbons
2 U.S. wing and prop collar insignia
2 U.S. collar insignia
1 pair dogtags
1 AAF ID wallet

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
AAF Essential Kit - Part II (My Shopping List)

Here's my shopping list. Believe it or not I have had some EXTRAORDINARY luck finding many uniform items in my size (46L). My Summer Class A is complete except for the tan crusher and the russet low quarters. My field uniform is complete except for the roughout service shoes and an A-2 (soon!). My Winter Class A is still missing both the Ike jacket and the chocolate tunic. As for insignia, I have about two thirds on the list including lots of duplicate wings. (I guess you could say that I have DEFINITELY got the collecting bug!)

AAF WWII Uniforms

1. Winter Class A with Regulation Tunic and Ike Jacket
2. Summer Class A
3. Field Uniform (khakis)

WINTER CLASS A
1 regulation chocolate tunic
1 Ike jacket
2 pair chocolate trousers
2 pair pink trousers
1 chocolate wool shirt
1 pink wool shirt
1 khaki wool shirt
1 chocolate wool tie
1 pink wool tie
1 khaki wool tie
3 pair cotton socks (tan or brown)
1 pair low-quarter shoes
1 OD web belt with AAF buckle
1 chocolate garrison cap (general?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s gold braid)
1 chocolate garrison cap (officer?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s black/gold braid)
1 chocolate crusher cap (with cap device)

SUMMER CLASS A
1 regulation tan jacket
1 pair matching trousers
2 khaki cotton shirts (poplin or broadcloth)
1 khaki tie
1 khaki garrison cap (officer?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s black/gold braid)
1 khaki crusher cap (with cap device)
1 khaki web belt with AAF buckle

FIELD UNIFORM
1 A-2 flight jacket
1 M1944 field jacket
1 pair khaki cotton trousers
1 pair British khaki cotton trousers
1 British khaki shirt (poplin)
1 khaki shirt
1 OD garrison cap (officer?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s black/gold braid)
1 pair service shoes (high) reverse uppers

INSIGNIA, WINGS, ETC.
6 Col. rank insignia
6 Brig. Gen. rank insignia
1 Senior pilot wing, 2" shirt size
1 Senior pilot wing, 3" tunic size
1 Command pilot wing, 2" shirt size
1 Command pilot wing, 3" tunic size
4 RAF wings, small size
2 56th Fighter Group DI
2 31st Fighter Group DI
2 Ribbon bar with 5 ribbons
2 Ribbon bar with 3 ribbons
2 Presidential unit citation
4 U.S. wing and prop collar insignia
4 U.S. collar insignia
8 DAF insignia (bullion or cloth)
4 8th AAF (bullion or cloth)
4 XII Tactical Air Command (bullion or cloth)
1 B&L sunglasses with prescription lenses
1 Regular glasses with bifocal lenses
1 pair dogtags
1 AAF ID wallet
1 USN Frogman watch*

SQUADRON PATCHES
2 61st FS
1 62nd FS
1 334th FS
1 308th FS
1 307th FS
1 415th NFS

*Justified on the basis that my "boys" gave it to me after I "ended up in the drink" a SECOND time.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zemke, great contribution to those collecting AAF gear!

WHAT a great addition to this thread! yes, sometimes these threads lie hibernating for a while and then someone like your good self picks up on it! And didn't you do it with flair, style and panache!! VERY INFORMATIVE for all those boys out there interested in AAF uniforms and building up their collection. Thank-you!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good additions MyCroft...

FUNNILY enough, the wet weather cover for the crusher sprung to mind with me at the Duxford show this w/end past. As it was rather wet and inclement, so an elasticated cover for the crusher would have been a handy addition. As for the tie-clip, well when not wearing your Class A's, your tie would be tucked into your shirt so that only the top piece is showing (I'm sure you've seen the pics). With Class A's there's no real need for a tie clip or pin as the tunic is buttoned up high enough to keep the tie fixed in position, looking flat, sharp and neat! Tie clips are for civvies my friend, but a good and original point to raise! nice one, cheers. :cheers1:

PS: By the way MyCroft, that avatar really gives me the willies whenever I see it! haha. :confused: :eek: Spooky!

Mycroft

One Too Many
PADDY said:
FUNNILY enough, the wet weather cover for the crusher sprung to mind with me at the Duxford show this w/end past. As it was rather wet and inclement, so an elasticated cover for the crusher would have been a handy addition. As for the tie-clip, well when not wearing your Class A's, your tie would be tucked into your shirt so that only the top piece is showing (I'm sure you've seen the pics). With Class A's there's no real need for a tie clip or pin as the tunic is buttoned up high enough to keep the tie fixed in position, looking flat, sharp and neat! Tie clips are for civvies my friend, but a good and original point to raise! nice one, cheers. :cheers1:

PS: By the way MyCroft, that avatar really gives me the willies whenever I see it! haha. :confused: :eek: Spooky!

Still it scares you after all this time, it's Sandman or rather a moder n rendition of him. "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself!" Anyhow, I have seen films of WWII pilots with tie clips, maybe officers only.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Tie clips and collar bars

I've even seem some photos with collar bars on soft collar shirts. However, most of the ties in my collection would look truly awful if they were seen untucked from a shirt or visible through an unbuttoned tunic. They are WAY to short and many had ugly ends. Not much need for a tie clip, I'm afraid!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WWII Dog tags, wallets and ID papers...

There are a few folk on the internet who will reproduce you AAF WWII style (with the little nip out of the tag) dog tags.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's a guy in Canada who reproduces ID papers in your name and rank..etc, and of course you can get the AAF ID papers leather wallet with the AAF motif embossed on the leather (Garcia Aviation I think). All little extras that add to the overall affect and look!

Let's face it, if you are going for 'the look' you might as well DO IT RIGHT. Cutting corners with cheap and nasty 'look-a-likes' just destroys the right look.

http://www.freewebz.com/usaaf/page1.html

Look at these...

http://www.geocities.com/mambi66/m1940dogtagchainhome.html?200514

http://www.cleverforgery.com/

www.garciaaviation.com/

http://members.tripod.com/33rdscb/id30_l.htm

Tally-ho!! bandits at 12 0'clock high!!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
It is indeed!

Jake said:
Zemke, who is your avitar?.....Is It Col. Zemke?...Jake

It is indeed! For FL readers not familiar with "Hub" here is a summary: Colonel Hub Zemke was one of the greatest fighter group comanders of the ETO. Zemke's 56th Fighter Group, the "Wolfpack," was credited with 665 aerial victories, leading all fighter groups in the ETO. Zemke himself had 17.75 confirmed victories in 154 combat missions.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Another good 'wee' addition is...

The flying overalls, which you can pick up at a decent price, if you are patient, on Ebay. But you seem to have plenty of good vintage shops too in the US where you might find a pair!

P-40b.gif

SummerFlySuit.jpg

pvs4

New in Town
WWII Notched Dog Tags

I noticed that we are looking for authenticity in dog tags.

Renney1_ea.jpg

The notch in the dog tags was used from WWII thru 1969/1970. The history of the notch can be found at:

NOTCH LINK

The notch was for the Addressograph Model 70 medical imprinter. History on the Addressograph Model 70 can be found at:

ADDRESSOGRAPH MODEL 70 LINK

model70-1.jpg

The notch in the WWII dog tags is the single most distinguishable feature of the dog tags of the era. There are many rumors that the notch was a "tooth" notch. This theory is false and the truth can be found at the links above or at snopes:

SNOPES LINK

We have spent a lot of time in compiling the history of dog tags and have posted it on the net for everyone to read. Many people ask me to make "reproduction" tags for them and I tell them that each tag is hand crafted and we do not make "reproductions," we make REPLACEMENTS. Many times we will have people send us photos of existing tags and we make exact duplicate replacements down to the exact spacing.

Hope these links help for those seeking authenticity.

Kobie
DogTagsRus

There are a few folk on the internet who will reproduce you AAF WWII style (with the little nip out of the tag) dog tags.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's a guy in Canada who reproduces ID papers in your name and rank..etc, and of course you can get the AAF ID papers leather wallet with the AAF motif embossed on the leather (Garcia Aviation I think). All little extras that add to the overall affect and look!

Let's face it, if you are going for 'the look' you might as well DO IT RIGHT. Cutting corners with cheap and nasty 'look-a-likes' just destroys the right look.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Dog Tags

Just ordered the WWII dog tags from these folks and I've got to tell you guys that the whole experience couldn't have been better. Several kind and prompt emails, and all for a $7.00 order. Go figure! Highly recommend Dog Tags R Us! Kobie, what GREAT customer service. Thanks again!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Little details for your flight gear:

ETO - never wear a pistol. They were death warrants. Conversely, you'd be foolish to fly in the Pacific without one. Airsoft .45s are your best best if you want to remain safe about it, mine came from a local mall cutlery shop for $23. It would be a 30 second affair to remove the orange plug from the barrel...I suggest if you do this, you don't make it obvious and claim that you bought it that way. It's a felony to remove them! Pistol belts got in the way of gear, so shoulder hosters were the norm, and they were usually worn uder one's life vest but over a jacket.

Channel whistle - typically an 'Acme Thunderer', hooked with a jump ring through the wind flap closure loop on your A-2. You can see mine in this pic. Aero Leather of Scotland is currently offering repros, complete with King's Crown stamps and serials. I bought mine about 10 years ago in a local surplus shop, anticipating the day I'd buy a decent repro A-2. They're still in production and unchanged, just without the stamp, which is accurate either way.

First aid packet - this ties onto your parachute harness, and is the same item as a paratrooper's kit, often seen strapped to the front of their helmets. They're rubberized canvas and are supposed to be glued shut to waterproof them, with notches on either end to allow you to tear them open. Mine has a real unissued carlisle bangade that I found cheap inside of it, if you're actually going to put something in it, you'll want one or two morphine syrettes and a carlisle bandage or at least the carton for one. Don't have a source for these, but I know that What Price Glory used to offer them.

I.D. bracelet - these vary so much that there's no way to really pin any one style down. Many were simple sterling private purchase bracelets with the wearer's name, serial, and possibly rank engraved on them. I have one that's a stainless steel band(possibly from an exhaust stack / shroud section) cut and bent to shape with a set of propwings neatly attached by the pin posts which have been inserted through drilled holes and hammered down to form rivets. Many that I've seen are shirt size wings with a chain attached at each wingtip, some even full size wings. They're fairly common, or you can make one yourself pretty easily. They were more for flash than practicality.

Knife - Many officers were issued M3 knives, and these were strapped to their legs or stuffed in their boot tops, much in the paratrooper style, and used for the same purpose. Mine is a bone-handled carbon steel 5" clip-point bladed classic hunting knife with a custom sheath that has leg straps permanently attached. Private purchase hunting knives were pretty common. They get expensive, however. I went the easy route and bought one new at a fraction of the price of an antique, then had the sheath made.

Scarf - it doesn't have to be white, it doesn't have to be silk, it doesn't have to have an AAF logo on it..heck, many were knitted by loved ones back home! I have three, one from my grandpa, one that's definitely '30s with vertical satin and matte stripes running through it(very dressy), and a repro with the AAF logo embroidered into it. These were private purchase as far as I know, I've never heard of an official issue scarf. The idea isn't so much decoration as it is to keep your otherwise exposed neck warm, and silk scarves had the added benefit of letting you really swivel your head around looking for fighters without rubbing your neck raw against your shirt or flightsuit collar.

Footwear - don't run out and spend a fortune on a good pair of rare A-6s if you can help it, especially for a fighter impression. Those huge boots made it hard to feel the pedals. Many fighter crew wore double buckles, low quarters, '36 Pattern RAF boots(my choice, I have Aero's repros), some guys even wore cowboy boots! There were probably a few frozen toes as a result, but electrically heated inserts and many layers of socks were also used. Keep in mind the climate for the impression you're doing, as well...guys flying in Italy, North Africa and the Pacific probably were wearing mostly low quarters, garrison shoes, or roughouts!

Navigation cases & aids - few pilots flew without a case full of charts, computers, and plotters. D-4 computers are convenient for fighter pilots, they fit right in the patch pocket of an A-2.

Kneeboards - not often seen, but a nice touch. They became more common late in the war.

Microphones - If you're wearing a mask, make sure you've either got a T-30 throat mike or a in-mask mic. These didn't stay in the plane, or shouldn't have.

Penlight, pencils - can't find it right now, but there was an issue penlight and pencils...these were indispensible for navigation.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
zemke, dog tags...38' or 42'...?

Zemke, which version did you go for, ie: 1938 or 1942..? as I know Kobe has both machines (what an enterprising little blighter!! good on him). Also, how did you decide what info to put onto them? And how 'well read' is Kobe and his dad on the proper serial numbers for different branches of the services?

AJ...Damn fine piece my friend!! I have a 30s dark maroon scarf that I use! You've got me thinking (as usual) on further kit to get. Have hummed and haaa'd over a pair of 1936 RAF boots (just because they are the dogs b*llocks for flight boots, although I do like the later version of them with the canvas uppers!! all vanity I guess!! lol). But, how often would I get to wear them? not 'that' often in reality. Probably just stick to my RM WILLIAMS Aussie boots (based on the original 30's Drover's boot).

Anyone mentioned buoyancy aids? Quite a few to choose from out there (original and great repros), from the pre-war RAF, to WWII RAF, to early war USAAF to late war USAAF. Then you have the Luftwaffe Kapok ones too!! decisions decisions!!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Dog Tags R Us

PADDY said:
Zemke, which version did you go for, ie: 1938 or 1942..? as I know Kobe has both machines (what an enterprising little blighter!! good on him). Also, how did you decide what info to put onto them? And how 'well read' is Kobe and his dad on the proper serial numbers for different branches of the services?

Not sure WHICH version I went for... but Kobe helped me fill out the remainder of the information. Gave them proper blood type, religion, and my wife's name/address as the "contact." Told him to give me an appropriate "fake" serial number. (Didn't want to give my social security number out of privacy concerns.)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm very tempted...

Think I'd go for the 1938 version, and get an original WWII to go with it (see the Reference Library). I'm pretty sure I noticed on Pearl Harbor (how geekish is this!!) that they didn't use original type chains, but modern ones! Attention to detail on that movie was abit slap happy!! There were BIGGER mistakes made that were more obvious. What a shame, as I feel that could have been a knock-out movie with the money being thrown at it.
Glad your experience with Kobe was a good one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe