Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
???? What the heck? I don't mean to pick, but ????

I saw only weird, too-small, wrinkled, mismatched...

?????

engineered.jpg

And the second link is to a SHOW, not SHOES.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first jacket looks like someone took my Woolrich hunting coat apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. (Does that sound critical?)I think it would look cooler if he hadn't bottoned the top strap...I'm assuming he's a member of the Bloods.
I don't mind a fresh approach to traditional American sporting gear, lord knows our hunting men and women need an image makeover, but I feel that this jacket has lost it's way in the woods.

This is from http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2008/01/editors-choiceengineered-garments.html

Their clothes do not make sense to me either and prices may exceed the actual value of the clothing's purpose. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Made here - for export only

EG is doing an aviation-inspired "Wing Jacket" in cotton twill. It's a Type A-1 buttoned front with an M-421 belted swingback and diamond patched elbows.
engineered-garments-pilot-jacket-1.jpg

engineered-garments-pilot-jacket-2.jpg

The influence is obviously of Japanese origin - no one else would dare do something so classic and simple - via EG's designer Daiki Suzuki. They are only available (AFAIK) thru one high-end shop, Oi Polloi in Manchester, England. Even there they're priced at £275, and the largest size, XL, measures only 46" across the chest.

Not surprisingly, Suzuki did at least one other style for Japan-only sale - in a ticking stripe fabric, a rather odd choice, and only available in sizes XS and S.
3636888620_1deb1279d7.jpg

Here's the thing...THEY'RE MADE IN THE USA. But you cannot buy one here for love nor money. They are not sized for us - not priced for us - not in any way meant for us.

That's right, fellas. American made clothing, of elegant and practical American design, that Americans will NOT be given the choice to buy or wear.

I suspect the notorious Mr. Stu Clurman's hand in this business - he's known for advertising cut-outs in interesting fabrics "made for a Japanese retailer" - but of course I can't prove anything.

Can you understand why I'm kinda steamed here? I generally say yay for the free market, except sometimes it's not at all free.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
They are an interesting outfit, with some cool stuff.
It definitely seems that the styles and design ethic are more inline with
the Japanese way.
Maybe in some of their past collections/seasons, I haven't looked in a while.

I doubt very much that Worst Dolls is involved at all.

B
T

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
lol Some of their stuff looks good ish, you can tell its vintage inspired, but I'll admit the about the above picture is scary. Some of the outfits look good, NOT the above one..and several of the others.

The second link you have to click on one of the show dates on the left to see the shoes.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I thought the clothes, as worn by those models, made them look like homeless people. I thought that putting the African American gentleman in the black and white striped, just shy of a prison outfit, was in bad taste.

AlanC

EG makes good stuff. Some of it is a bit stylized. There are American retailers, but they don't carry a huge amount of stock.

Here I am wearing an EG shirt and knit Bedford jacket:

p1014205sb0.jpg

You can buy some of their stuff through Drinkwater's, Odin and Farinelli's.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, most of their stuff is updated vintage-inspired. But there are some things that I could definitely go for, such as:

001-1.jpg

Pretty much a tan M43 combat jacket:
002-1.jpg

Cotton A-1, anyone?
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
Here's the thing...THEY'RE MADE IN THE USA. But you cannot buy one here for love nor money. They are not sized for us - not priced for us - not in any way meant for us.

That's right, fellas. American made clothing, of elegant and practical American design, that Americans will NOT be given the choice to buy or wear.

Well, it's a FACT that as a whole, Americans refuse to pay as much for these American things --even vintage American originals!!-- as the Japanese (and even Europeans) do.

Blame the poorly motivated (non)buyers: the AMERICAN ones. :(

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there's a high-end market for some of the truly "designed" pieces. But no one should have to pay twice as much for an A-1 in summer cotton as you would for a G9 in similar material.

We have this curious Bizarro World phenomenon in the States where you can get clothing with all kinds of gingerbread on it for a song, but simplicity costs. Sometimes even more than quality. Probably harder to market simplicity.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
No one has to pay. They can always exercise restraint.

But I hear what you say about paying for simplicity. It's very apparent in the UK menswear market, where, if you want simplicity (beyond slightly seedy plain-cut stuff aimed at the older man who's lost his spirit), you'd better go high-end or even bespoke.

I like EG's styling, although their funny joke of stuffing large men into small-size clothes is not actually funny.

Speaking of the Japanese-influenced repro and ultra-detailed workwear sector, Woolrich Woollen Mills are doing something similar to EG, as is Oliver Spencer in London.

Carlisle Blues

Fletch said:
I'm sure there's a high-end market for some of the truly "designed" pieces. But no one should have to pay twice as much for an A-1 in summer cotton as you would for a G9 in similar material.

We have this curious Bizarro World phenomenon in the States where you can get clothing with all kinds of gingerbread on it for a song, but simplicity costs. Sometimes even more than quality. Probably harder to market simplicity.

That is too broad a statement. I pay whatever the market demands for clothing I really want. The OP original example of clothing looks horrible and very uncomfortable. I would not want it for free.

I, however, am guilty of the gingerbread phenomena.

gingerBread1_shirt.jpg
Summer $1.385

gingerbread_man_for_christmas_tshirt-p235024378286407761qjjv_210.jpg
Winter $1.385

flat-top

Creeping Past said:
No one has to pay. They can always exercise restraint.

But I hear what you say about paying for simplicity. It's very apparent in the UK menswear market, where, if you want simplicity (beyond slightly seedy plain-cut stuff aimed at the older man who's lost his spirit), you'd better go high-end or even bespoke.

I like EG's styling, although their funny joke of stuffing large men into small-size clothes is not actually funny.

Speaking of the Japanese-influenced repro and ultra-detailed workwear sector, Woolrich Woollen Mills are doing something similar to EG, as is Oliver Spencer in London.
The man behind EG AND Woolrich Woolen Mills is one in the same:
http://pipeline.refinery29.com/a_minute_with_qa/japanese_americana_interview_w.php

AlanC

^For prices click on some of the retailers websites I linked. Shirts will run ~$150-$225 retail. A lot of the spring/summer stuff is starting to be marked down right now. The EG stuff I've bought have been on sale.

Creeping Past said:

Daiki Suzuki designs both EG and Woolrich Woolen Mills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust