Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elvgren Pinup Art - Model Photos

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Collection of models photographs used as the base work for some of Elvgren's pin up art. Cool to see!

It's interesting to note that the ladies' bodies in the pin up art seems to be an almost unachievable standard, yet in many cases the art work didn't deviate all that much from the real womens' bodies. Which means it IS possible to look that sexy! Good news for us women who always looked at those pin ups and said "Yeah, right, no one really looks like that." :eusa_clap

(but to be a bit snarky, the faces in the art work were made more beautiful than the real thing. Just my opinion.)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/20-classic-pin-up-girls-before-photoshop

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link! As an artist I love to see how much of the reference makes it into the final product. Especially with someone as talented as Gil Elvgren was. He's a personal illustrator hero. I'm happy he, along with other illustrators are finally getting their due.

It's interesting to note how easily he was able to reposition body parts even though they weren't that way in the original reference photo. That's the sign of an expert draftsman.

Great stuff!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82