Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

during the golden era what was worn at a horse farm

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It would depend on what area of the country, whether you're thinking of what a visitor there might wear or what someone working there might wear or even their socioeconomic level. A horse farm in Kentucky or Tennesee would have different attire than a ranch in the southwestern US; a stablehand or vaquero would have completely different attire than someone in more of an ownership level.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The movie SEABISCUIT is a good place to see typical gear of the era in east, southeast, midwest. The attire, except that of the big money horse owner, looks much like the previous post with photos of the ranch/farm in Arkansas.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
donCarlos said:
I guess that riding attires like this
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08bq9NE7Nz2Wu/340x.jpg
have absolutely no tradition in the USA :)
Nice though...

Actually, yes! But, not for hacking on the trail. The coat is called a "shadbelly."

As per the The United States Equestrian Federation and the United States Dressage Federation, regulations.

"Dressage riders, like their horses, are dressed for formality. In competition, they wear white breeches, that are often full-seat leather to help them "stick" in the saddle, with a belt, and a white shirt and stock tie with a gold pin. Gloves are usually white, although less-experienced riders or those at the lower levels often opt for black, as their hand movement is not as noticeable. The coat worn is usually solid black with metal buttons, although solid navy is also seen. In upper-level classes, the riders wear a shadbelly with a yellow vest or vest points instead of a plain dressage coat."

alden405

A-List Customer
Hey Lone Ranger

Those Ft Bliss hunt photos are mine
i can repost them here if you like
i collect US horse cavalry stuff from ww2

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
alden405 said:
Hey Lone Ranger

Those Ft Bliss hunt photos are mine
i can repost them here if you like
i collect US horse cavalry stuff from ww2

That would be great! Are you on Militaryhorse.org also?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
My dad grew up on a horse farm in Louisville. From looking at the family pictures my grandfather wore typical workingmans attire. No jeans but tan or blue pants and a matching shirt (looks like Dickies work wear).
My dad said growing up the kids wore what my grandmother could make from whatever material was available. Most folks back then didn't have extra money for clothes, they wore what they had available or what they could make. Thats how it was with my family in the '40's and '50's anyway.

RBH

Bartender
Charles Howard at Ridgewood Ranch circa 1940.

chhc7.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
How much of the horseperson's outfit has changed for reasons other than practicality or comfort?

For instance, how important was the cowboy mythos, as it replaced the mythos of the landed gentry? I'd say very important. After all, it governs how we see people and how they see themselves.

Mr. Howard above looks about zero percent mythos, at least in dress.

just_me

Practically Family
Fletch said:
How much of the horseperson's outfit has changed for reasons other than practicality or comfort?

For instance, how important was the cowboy mythos, as it replaced the mythos of the landed gentry? I'd say very important. After all, it governs how we see people and how they see themselves.

Mr. Howard above looks about zero percent mythos, at least in dress.
How certain parts of the population view people and their riding attire (english vs. western vs. something else) might depend on the part of the country in which they live and what they see the "beautiful people" wearing in the media or in movies.

I know only about the English style of riding clothes and it is still steeped in tradition. The changes to hunt/jumper/dressage attire have come based on safety and invention of new materials.

As to English riding attire (which is really pretty traditional especially if you foxhunt):

Breeches are basically the same except for the flare and the colors. The change is based on stretch fabrics.

Boots - basically the same. Slight differences based on style changes (higher cut of the boot and spanish tops). I have Vogel custom field boots that are about 30 years old and would still be usable if they fit over my older legs. lol )

Hunt coats - on the hunt field, they probably haven't changed at all except maybe the cut is a little different. In the show ring, currently there are more choices of color, which are dictated by current styles.

Hunt caps/helmets - here there is a change based on safety issues. When I first started riding, hunt caps really were no protection but were traditional. They were a plastic shell covered in velvet. No chin strap, no padding. Now they are actually helmets approved and the approved helmets are required in any USEF sanctioned shows. I still like a helmet that looks like a hunt cap, but there are newer, more modern styles that are very popular.

When I rode in a horse show in 1973, I wore canary breeches, brown striped or white ratcatcher shirt, black or navy coat, and black dress boots, and a hunt cap.

When I rode in a show last year, I wore rust colored breeches (coming back into style, though beige or TS green are more popular), yellow riding shirt, light brown plaid hunt coat, black field boots, black gloves, and a hunt style helmet.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I understand that rust colored breeches are acceptable in Virginia, for a fox hunt. Practical reasons, that Virginia clay.

I agree, at least in English riding, there is more adherence to tradition, rather than the whims of fashion. (Other than the addition of modern fabrics, and safety equipment, as pointed out) Then again, maybe it's the other way around. Function may dictate fashion to some extent. The reason there hasn't been much change is because the clothes were designed for riding first, and fashion second.

For example,...though it may be more related to western riding than English it provides a good example,....the reason "real" cowboys wear Wrangler jeans has to do with the way the seams are sewn. All jeans have a thin seam, and a seam where the material is folded over, on each leg. On most jeans the thin seam is on the outside of the leg. Probably because it looks neater. Wrangler's have the thin seam on the inside. So the thinner seam is the one between your leg, and the saddle. Function dictating the fashion.

The problem I'm having lately, is finding suitable clothing for casual riding, in colder weather. The hunt coat may work well in England, but around here, January and February, are a bit too cold, for what amounts to a wool sport coat. I need something a little heavier. I'm also looking for a rain coat, that doesn't have the Western/Aussie influence. Surely they don't stop riding in England when it rains, do they?

WH1

Practically Family
The problem I'm having lately, is finding suitable clothing for casual riding, in colder weather. The hunt coat may work well in England, but around here, January and February, are a bit too cold, for what amounts to a wool sport coat. I need something a little heavier. I'm also looking for a rain coat, that doesn't have the Western/Aussie influence. Surely they don't stop riding in England when it rains, do they?[/QUOTE]

There is only one answer to your query, BARBOUR, the traditional British Horsey Set wet weather coat. It even has the Royal Warrant.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Thanks for the input!

I've bought stuff from Dover Saddlery before. The Tailored Sportsman breeches are great.

Most of the stuff in the catalog, is geared toward ladies. Dover's idea of a "large" coat, is a 42. I need a 44, or 46, depending on how the sleeves fit. I got a great tweed hacking coat from Bookster. It's is a bit too nice for everyday hacking.

I've bought a pair of Heritage riding gloves from Dover, and the "large" was a size 9. Which may be "large" for a woman, but for a guy it's a medium. (And about a size too small for me) I ended up going to a police supply company, and getting a pair of Hatch gloves, that were designed for the K-9 officer. They feature padded fingers, and leather reinforcement for holding a leash that will also be good for working reins.

I bought Dehner boots because because I was too tall, and my calves too big for anything "off-the-rack." That actually worked out pretty well.

Speaking of police supply. There is a company called Taylor's Leatherwear that makes traditional police leather jackets. Motor officers use them, and I've seen them used by mounted units. There's pros, and cons, to that. The leather jacket would be water resistant, and warm. If they get horse dirt on them, you can just wipe them off, rather than launder them. But, they quite a bit heavier than a similar modern fabric. They are usually waist length, so there's still nothing keeping your legs warm, and dry. Hoping to avoid that, because it would essentially be a motorcycle jacket.

What I need is a ski coat with side vents like a hunt coat. Barbour? I may have to look into that.

just_me

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
What I need is a ski coat with side vents like a hunt coat. Barbour? I may have to look into that.
Have you checked ski stores? They carry men's large ski jackets. When I used to ride in cold weather, I had a ski jacket that could zip up from the bottom as well as down from the top. More comfortable when riding.

You can also ask for suggestions on the Off Course section of the Chronicle of the Horse forums.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe