Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunlap Superior

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well folks it came in today!:) I haven't had a chance to photograph it yet but I will post some soon. It does have a Cavanagh edge or as the sweatband states, a Custom Edge. It isn't as light in color as the e-bay photos show, more like the Dobbs I recently purchased, more of a slate grey. This one will get the same naptha dip as the Dobbs as well. It smells fine bot there is some staining at the front where the crown meets the brim. On the inside under the sweatband is a small sweat barrier material. It is in good shape but has something akin to cosmoline on it's surface. it's like a very light but tacky/greasy coating. It isn't staining the felt or the sweatband but it should come out with the cleaning.
It doesn't appear to have been worn much at all and the brim is still in a curled up state. The crown appears to only have had just a center dent. I believe that it may have been worn Homburg style by the first owner. It actually takes to that style quite easily when one pushes the center dent in and then sort of tugs on the front and rear of the brim. I'll demonstrate that when I take some pictures.
Other than that it appears to be in pretty excellent condition. The box is quite lovely, cardboard royal blue & gold with a lacquered finish & a leather strap. All in all, a very lovely package.:)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well I now have photos...

Here are a few photos. Again, sorry about the quality of the images.:eusa_doh:

IM000037.jpg

IM000035.jpg

IM000033.jpg

IM000030.jpg

It takes on just about most shapes I throw at it and holds them quite well. It is quite a comfortable hat to wear, but gets a tad warm with this warmer weather we've had for the past few days. The naptha bath seemed to clean it up nicely except for the stain at the front where the crown meets the brim. It sort of looks like the cosmoline like substance that was on the sweat barrier may have bled through. I'll see what a little Properts hat cleaner & a sponge will do for that area. Then again it may need another dipping. We shall see.:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust