Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dukes Hats to Buckaroo Hatters { A Road Trip }

RBH

Bartender
Here is a shot of the old Dukes store in Newark NJ that the items Mike Moore found about started out at.

florida023.jpg

Here is Mike ''Duke'' DeConna at age 14 when he started working in the hatting business.
Duke is in the middle.

florida029.jpg

We just arrived in Florida and Mike is checking out the stuff through the window.

florida001.jpg

Some of the things we saw.....

florida003.jpg

Loading up

florida013.jpg

florida012.jpg

florida011.JPG

florida017.jpg

florida018.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Man, that is so cool. Congrats to Mike! My heart would have been racing looking thru that window.

B

The stuff a hatter's dreams are made of. So good to see it fall into the hands of someone who will put it to good use.

Imagine how much of that "old junk" ended up in landfills and woodstoves and such back back in the '60s and '70s, when it might have been hard to envision anyone ever having much use for it again.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
Florida humidity takes a toll on metal. I am glad to see this stuff end up where it did. It looks like you need a gallon or so of Kroil. It stinks but is more effective than PB Blaster or liquid wrench at freeing rusted parts. And it comes from TN. http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

Now for bonus points, go back and label all those pictures. I only recognize a couple of those pieces.

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
I found some really nice items, but will take a long time to clean every thing up and paint. There was a crown iron, a table top brim jigger, a kettle curling machine and stand, two sweatband sewing machines, hat blocks, sand bagger, flanges, hatters hot plate for curling irons, puller down, pusher down, brim cutter, rubber toliker, and several other items.

Will be getting everything cleanded and freeed up. The sewining machines, sew right now. The crown iron will need the most time on it.
Thanks for the info about the Kroil stuff.

Major Moore

DesertDan

One Too Many
The motherlode!
Congrats on aquiring some great vintage machinery, so glad to know that it will someday be back to work!

majormoore

Vendor
Singer 107-1sweatband machine, another sweatband machine, sand bagger, curling irons, hat blocks hat flnges, brim cutter, spinners, brass rings to protect sweatband when flanging, old formillion, crown iron, brim jigger, kettle curling machine and stand, these are some of the items I remember.

Will have to do some bead blasting on crown iron to get the rust off, then repaint and crome some of the parts on it.

Major Moore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe