Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress coats

moustache

Practically Family
Dress coats vary so much these days.As i look at my 1930's Sears catalog,i notice only a few styles.Most are either grey or black.And the patterns were usually full black,grey,tweed or herringbone.
I do see a few businessmen wearing them on downtown streets today.But other than businessmen,i rarely see them where i live.The tendency seems to be towards lighter wool and nylon jackets.I have even seen some well dressed men wearing ski jackets with their suits.Never thought that would happen.
So many styles evolving!!!

What about where you live???

Dress/top coats or ???Wool or cashmere??American or foreign made??

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Toppers

I have several tweed overcoats, a black cashmere, and a Hungarian
wool that I recently bought and wore this morning for the first time.
I seem to have a weakness for toppers, and cannot imagine wearing
a casual jacket over a suit, but to each his own. :rolleyes:

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Take heart! I'm converting to the Raincoat Brigade. My orders went out for a Herringbone Chesterfield, a Navy Cashmere British Warm, a Khaki Gabardine Raglan raincoat plus a Royal Blue Gabardine 4-brass button DB blazer earlier this month.

moustache

Practically Family
Congrats!!!!

Happy Stroller said:
Take heart! I'm converting to the Raincoat Brigade. My orders went out for a Herringbone Chesterfield, a Navy Cashmere British Warm, a Khaki Gabardine Raglan raincoat plus a Royal Blue Gabardine 4-brass button DB blazer earlier this month.

Well done old boy!! Well done!!!

JD

manton

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I am still waiting for men and women in NYC to dress like it is the Fall season.
I am still waiting for fall weather.

BTW, I'm not sure what is meant here by "dress coat." In Savile Row parlance, a "dress coat" is a tail coat. Surely we don't mean that. A suit coat, then?

Feraud

Bartender
manton said:
I am still waiting for fall weather.

BTW, I'm not sure what is meant here by "dress coat." In Savile Row parlance, a "dress coat" is a tail coat. Surely we don't mean that. A suit coat, then?
Is it not cool and windy enough for you? ;)

I assumed he meant overcoat. I could be wrong tho'. [huh]

geo

Overcoat. The use of "dress" is now extended to normal everyday attire, i. e. suits, shirts, shoes, socks, gloves, in fact everything that is not used in a sports activity. I acutely dislike that. In fact, I think that the title of this thread should be changed to "Overcoat" or "Topcoat".

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
moustache said:
:
I have even seen some well dressed men wearing ski jackets with their suits.
:
Dress/top coats ...
:
JD in Vancouver,Wa
=================== End of quote =======================
Going through the contents of Moustache's initial post, of course he is referring to gentlemen's outerwear, such as overcoats, topcoats and raincoats.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I wear a charcoal overcoat almost daily (when cool enough) on some occasions a herringbone chesterfield. And when warmer a mac sans the liner.

moustache

Practically Family
Exactly!!

Happy Stroller said:
=================== End of quote =======================
Going through the contents of Moustache's initial post, of course he is referring to gentlemen's outerwear, such as overcoats, topcoats and raincoats.

Forgetting that we have an international membership,i didn't take into account that the nomenclature is different worldwide.I did,in fact,refer to the stylish/dress coat:top-coats,raincoats,etc.Could certainly be used in formal wear or with a simple suit or sportcoat.

Thanks for clarifying Happy Stroller

JD

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
What happened to capes (cloaks?) ? Aren't they used with Morning Dress, Strollers, and Formal and Semi-Formal Evening Wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe