Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Like Simple Coloured Outfits?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the "what are you wearing today" thread and Marc Chevalier's advice thread a lot of people like to have a range of colours in their outfits with a common piece of advise seeming to be to add more colour through accessories.

Does anyone like bland coloured outfits? I personally often dress in suits where I am overall only wearing two or three colours, my favourite being grey hat, black suit, light grey tie with darker grey square pattern and white shirt. Another one I like is navy suit, light blue shirt and navy tie (sometimes with yellow squares if I feel like being slightly more colourful). Yesterday I got even more boring with a grey hat, black blazer and trousers and grey shirt with no tie (it was only supposed to be casual), only two colours in total unless the blue of my umbrella is included or the white pocket square.

In a similar spirit my pocket squares are always white hankerchiefs regardless of the suit I am wearing or the occaision. The only exception is the blue and red one I wear with my beige jacket as white wouldn't show up well enough next to beige.

Does anyone else like the effect that limited colours give or am I just boring?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I tend to think less is more, could be the limitations of what I have in the closet (mostly skeletons :D;) ) I like a sober palette completed by a nice bold coloured tie..

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like monochrome myself....

myjumpsuits_2060_4377501

smithfront.jpg

photo.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Those outfits are all too modern for my liking CB. [huh] My colourless outfits are as vintage as I can manage, just boringly so. Take the one in my avatar for example (not counting the pistol which is modern).

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwards said:
Those outfits are all too modern for my liking CB. [huh] My colourless outfits are as vintage as I can manage, just boringly so. Take the one in my avatar for example (not counting the pistol which is modern).

I like your manner of dress very bold in it's subtlety. I have a few outfits similar to the last picture I take when on vacation....very comfy...
icon14.gif

But the suits in the middle are more my colour scheme if not the style themselves. ;)

Here we go more like this vintage-y
Warmupsuit4.JPG

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if this is by design or chance, but my suits are all dark and simple, while my odd jackets and sportcoats are generally more colorful. I think I prefer more subdued suits and clothing in general. If I want to be flashy, I'll usually do it with a tie.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
KeyGrip said:
I'm not sure if this is by design or chance, but my suits are all dark and simple, while my odd jackets and sportcoats are generally more colorful. I think I prefer more subdued suits and clothing in general. If I want to be flashy, I'll usually do it with a tie.
I think very similarly. Except for my one pinstripe suit all of mine are a plain colour. I don't do patterned shirts (except for the odd sublty striped one) and I don't do accessories like tie bars (only white pocket squares and cufflinks for me) but my ties themselves are ones with strong contrast usually like black and yellow.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
avedwards said:
Does anyone else like the effect that limited colours give or am I just boring?

I like the effect very much.. but, the question really is, do you find it boring yourself, truelly? Perhaps you could experiment a little more than you allready do and see what it looks/feels like? You would be surprised what a different coloured flavour could do for you. Chances are you would develop an appetite for colour :essen:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
I like the effect very much.. but, the question really is, do you find it boring yourself, truelly? Perhaps you could experiment a little more than you allready do and see what it looks/feels like? You would be surprised what a different coloured flavour could do for you. Chances are you would develop an appetite for colour :essen:
I don't find it boring myself, I just think others might if I only wear two colours. I do go more colourful as well.
l_1a7c3cac48cc48feb3d1152688f1b3c4.jpg

I'd say more than half of the time I wear three or more colours (though not much more), it's not always sometimes I decide to go black and grey. Usually I do so at night, during nasty weather or if I'm in a funny or depressed mood (I do sometimes express how I am feeling through colour though usually my colours are weather/occaision dependant).

billyspew

One Too Many
All my suits are dark as well (blue, black grey), but I do enjoy "splashes" of colour and will as suggested use tie, socks and pockets squares to add that. I do have reasonably colourful shirts that I can also use.

I was previously in the vein of bland ties (ten years ago), but I now have embraced the colour.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
avedwards said:
I don't find it boring myself, I just think others might if I only wear two colours. I do go more colourful as well.

Feeling self-confident wearing 'bland colours' generally leaves a better impression on others than wearing splashy-colours only for the sake of it.. I agree with Billy Spew on adding some accents to a dark suit (square,socks etc.)

All-black or all-khaki for me, depending on my requirements for the day--the khaki "Mini-Mac" look is my everyday default, the suit is for if I expect serious business.

Bland? Maybe, but peacockery ain't my game--unless it becomes necessary for me to do my thing or we have business, I'd rather you not pay me even the slightest bit of attention...

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about - in all likelihood I don't, but I don't think keeping your colour-scheme simple contributes to an altogether 'bland' look, so long as everything is well executed. To me, 'bland' is someone with an off-the-rack suit that is too big across the shoulders, too long in the sleeves, excessive break in the pantlegs, and an atrocious tie. Someone with a suit that is well cut, with a well chosen shirt and tie to compliment/accent, and maybe some type of pocket square looks sharp without trying to use so many colours/textures/patterns that they wind up walking around looking like they stepped out of a Ralph Lauren advertisement.

Worst case scenario? Your dark suit, plain tie, white shirt, black shoes, and fedora make you look like you stepped off the set of Dragnet. That's roughly the era we're shooting for anyways, isnt it?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
[bad]

:p ..............

:eek:fftopic:

:p now, you want to make something out of it? lol lol lol

Let's sing~~~

All together now.................... "is there any life in the Golden Era apart from Cary Grant?..... lalalalala ... NOooo there is not... lalala" lol lol lol

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I do like Grant's look with the grey suit and grey tie. Once I get a grey suit I think I will do the same (though with a grey on grey patterned tie) and also add a grey fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe