Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do many of you sew?

PrinceHarming

New in Town
I love sewing, It's the one thing that I do really well with on occation.
I have made myself one shirt now and I'm in the middle of another. I also made a pencil skirt for a friend and I made one, but It fots no one because I messed up the measurements. And I really like it too, It was red and buttoned down the front with a vintage style buttons that matched ones that my grandmother gave me.

I bought a few of the repro patterns, what do you think of them.

And do you ever come acroos men's pants patterns that are vintage, because I keep looking and can't find any.

pgoat

One Too Many
kudos to you, cause I'd love to have the talent and paitience to sew, but don't.

I was home sick from work a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to sew up some ripped seams on an old leather car coat I've been wearing a lot - results were not pretty.....cold medicine stupor didn't help!:D

merkman

Familiar Face
I sew everyday!
I have an auto upholstery shop..............we do lots of vintage cars. Working on a '39 Graham right now. Next up is a '33 Ford then a '38 Buick roadster.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Men's clothing construction is much more complicated than women's. The quick reason why: men's clothes have to be stronger, longer lasting, and fit closer.

This in part explains the unavailability of patterns - most men's stuff has to be made by highly trained tailors or in large factories.

AnnaMaria

New in Town
I sew almost every day too. I'm studying to become a dressmaker ( I think that's the correct term). Vintage patterns for mens clothing is hard to come by, but I make all my patterns myself, so I'm planning to learn pattern construction for men too.

missmelly

One of the Regulars
I'm an ameteur at sewing and can fumble my way through costumes and simple dresses but I would like to get better at it. Project Runway makes it look so easy...;)

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
I WISH I could sew:(
I did some sewing at school, but haven't used a machine in ages..
I'll have to get to sewing school one day:rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been sewing since I was eight years old, and it always surprises me to realize how uncommon a skill it is nowadays. Seems to me it ought to be considered a basic survival skill and taught in the schools like it used to be...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I've been sewing since I was eight years old, and it always surprises me to realize how uncommon a skill it is nowadays. Seems to me it ought to be considered a basic survival skill and taught in the schools like it used to be...

Right on the money. Sewing is one of the everyday skills everyone should have. I took lessons and learned to sew in my early 30's. I haven't sewn much in recent years as the kids have kept me busy, but I did make a repair late last night. My wife laughs at me as I get far too excited on big sewing projects, then get wired on coffee and sew like someone posessed.

Throw out needles before they get dull, buy good thread and keep your machine oiled.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
pgoat said:
was home sick from work a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to sew up some ripped seams on an old leather car coat I've been wearing a lot - results were not pretty.....cold medicine stupor didn't help!:D
My contacts in the flight jacket fanship tell me leather is the enemy of the part-time stitcher. Most hand needles and home machines don't like going thru it, and of course, once you do go thru the holes are there forever. It's best to practice on a piece of junk - actually quite a few - before doing your needed repair.

I learned basic machine sewing in grade 7 circa 1980. I just got a machine from my family this Xmas. I have much to relearn. For one thing, I never did the requisite Run Thru the Fingernail. I'm not looking forward to it, but like the Shellback ritual, it's out there, waiting.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I sew for living.I reproduce Womens WWII era clothing. So I pretty much sew everyday!I love it though, it's so exciting to see a garment go from one step to another( and even more exciting when its all done!).

Samantha

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

I was a bit of an oddball by taking a sewing class in high school in the mid-70s. I was the only guy in the class, of course!

I've not actually made anything in about 30 years, but I do own my own sewing machine and when I was in the service I sewed on all my stripes and other insignia on my uniforms most of the time--sometimes by hand. I do most of my own repairs as well. I do have some trousers I need to adjust the cuffs on, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I wouldn't know whether or not it's taught in schools these days, but in a time when people buy jeans and other clothing pre-ripped combined with a "throwaway society" mindset I can see where schools would wonder why they should bother when they could spend the money on other things.

Regards,
Tom

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
To be honest I'm really impatient... If I sew, I want the clothe to be done in a day!!! I can't wait weeks and weeks to see the result!!!!!!lol lol lol!!! But I'd really love to, because it's hard to find vintage inspired clothes!! The only thing I did is a little purse, but it's a weird purse lol lol lol!!! A weirdly shaped one lol!!!!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I love to sew and have been doing it for about 20 years off and on...I do it as much as I can. I try to use as many vintage materials as possible, but sometimes you just have to use new-there is no choice! I wouldn't mind making a living at it, but I need to learn two major things first-how to tailor men's clothes and how to do alterations. I would LOVE to learn to make men's clothing, but it is so different from everything I have done. My ideal thing would be to apprentice with a real tailor, but time and kids and all that would not work.
I make about 80% of my own clothes, mostly from vintage or repro patterns. I have had people beg me to make stuff for them, but I am not quite confident enough in my ability to sew professionally. Maybe someday!

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Our kids took two sewing classes at JoAnn Fabric recently and had a great time. The projects turned out quite well and the kids want more of it. I think the desire for kids to learn these skills (sewing, cooking, ...) is out there, just got to make it happen.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I can attach a button, with a proper shank, to both shirt and suitcoat. I can also close a seam well enough to pass, until I can get to a tailor. :p

dscn63362ox.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I couldn't make a garment of any respectability (as the skirt I made once would show.... long story...), but I can manage well enough to do running repairs - things like seems let go on a shirt, replacing buttons, sewing up mothholes in a t shirt, that sort of work. I'd love to be able to tailor: if i didn't need to worry about money, apprentice tailor is one job I'd consider gonig looking for.

$ally

One Too Many
I used to sew for a living, doing alterations, drafting patterns, costuming, and at one point I even worked at a warehouse that made stuffed animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe