Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dillinger Days at work by myself

Levallois

Practically Family
Well I've become a worry to my employer (of only 14 weeks) by showing up like this today in commiseration of John Dillinger's death 75 years ago outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago:

DillingerDays005-1.jpg

DillingerDays007.jpg

I don't know what they are worried about it. . . . . except maybe that tie?

John

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Sharp outfit, I like the hat and glasses alot. Are the glasses vintage or new? If new, where did you get them?

Could be worse, you could be coming to work in bermuda shorts and flip-flops. If I were your boss, I wouldn't be complainin'!

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
My new boater just arrived. Didn't have anywhere interesting to go today, but this weekend, I plan on sporting John Dillinger's death outfit. I need to pick up sunglasses like those, though. Only part still missing, so I'd be interested in knowing where you got them, too. Very nice.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Levallois said:
Well I've become a worry to my employer (of only 14 weeks) by showing up like this today in commiseration of John Dillinger's death 75 years ago outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago:

DillingerDays005-1.jpg

DillingerDays007.jpg

I don't know what they are worried about it. . . . . except maybe that tie?

John

Let'em eat cake. ;)

Levallois

Practically Family
The funny thing is that while management gave me some looks, the rest of my co-workers liked it. In fact, when I came in yesterday in my normal casual garb - I had people popping their heads in my cube and then complaining about how I wasn't dressed up like yesterday.

So, I've decided to look up every birthday and death-day for every notable criminal in the gangster era and then dress-up on those days. I shouldn't need an excuse but it makes it more fun. Hopefully, there will be more of these in winter. It hasn't been below 110 around here in weeks.

John

RM Bantista

New in Town
Levallois said:
The funny thing is that while management gave me some looks, the rest of my co-workers liked it. In fact, when I came in yesterday in my normal casual garb - I had people popping their heads in my cube and then complaining about how I wasn't dressed up like yesterday.

So, I've decided to look up every birthday and death-day for every notable criminal in the gangster era and then dress-up on those days. I shouldn't need an excuse but it makes it more fun. Hopefully, there will be more of these in winter. It hasn't been below 110 around here in weeks.

John

John,

I wear a coat and tie and an appropriate hat every day to my work place. Not because I have to do so, but because it pleases me to do so and is not inappropriate. This is office work in a serious enough environment, but we are generally very casual in my state. I'm not in the mainstream to do so, but it is appreciated. I get complements every day. We dress casually on Fridays, and that is actually more challenging for me in a way, though I still manage to get complemented and wear a hat.

Do as you like, and raise the standard.

I might have gone with a different tie with the jacket, but when stuff works, it's good. The other day I wore a light green-brown wool summer suit with a button down, blue stripe shirt, a cotton white/blue stripe flat cap (narrower stripe), tan poke-a-dot linen square, brown valentino tie with tiny flowers of complementary colors, and a black calf loafer, which breaks a couple rules of dress but looked good enough to get complements from the ladies. The men don't always say anything, but I can tell. The point is not that I looked well but that breaking the rules is fine when that works, and one knows the best practice and breaks tradition with deliberate elan and composure.

Rudy

Levallois

Practically Family
Rudy,

I appreciate the reply! I am just learning what matches and what doesn't and how far you can push "the rules." The tie was more of an attempt to wear the loudest tie that I owned rather than match anything. Also, I am ashamed to say that I just discovered pocket squares so I need a variety of these to play with and I need a variety of ties, shirts, jackets etc., for my new desire to look good once in a while.

I'm an archaeologist by trade and need to go out to look at jobs in the field so dressing up isn't an option every day or even every week. But I will try to do it more often just because I like it. I've worn hats in the field for 25 years but miss when men wore them all the time. There doesn't seem to be much style left except here at the fedora lounge.

Too bad you didn't take a photo of the last getup that you described. Unfortunately, my limited fashion sense cannot imagine how that all went together.

Thanks again.

John

Levallois said:
If you really wanna mess with 'em, look up dates for fallen G-men and add them to the list, too...

Playing with minuscule minds is so much fun, isn't it?:D lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Archaeologist???

You need to peruse the Adventuere's Gear Thread, over on Gen'l Attire and accouterments forum, especially Mojave Jack. He's also an archaeologist. The spirit of Roy Chapman Andrews, et al, lives on with Jack.
Pretty soon you'll be showing up to work in a vintage pith helmet, khaki shorts with puttees, with a camel in the parking lot.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
This place is fantastic for vintage eyewear - they are either unworn vintage frames or faithful reproductions. Expensive perhaps for sunglasses but my next pair of reading glasses is definitely coming from there! http://www.retrospecs.co.uk/

(and I checked, they ship worldwide)

Levallois

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Be sure to have a sign on the back of your car like this!

1188083.jpg

lol lol lol

I LOVE that sign!! What a crack-up! Thanks for sharing it - it made my day.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe