Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between male and female button boots?

Fidena

One of the Regulars
I've seen a few button boots on ebay, but 90% of the time they're listed as women's shoes. Is there any definitive way to tell the difference between female and male shoes of this time period? I know even male shoes were rather well-heeled from advertisements from this period, so that isn't such a great way to tell. I'm just hoping to find a pair that were mal-listed.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've seen a few button boots on ebay, but 90% of the time they're listed as women's shoes. Is there any definitive way to tell the difference between female and male shoes of this time period? I know even male shoes were rather well-heeled from advertisements from this period, so that isn't such a great way to tell. I'm just hoping to find a pair that were mal-listed.

The male boots didn't button or lace up as high. They (usually) didn't have extremely pointy toes. They weren't as narrow in length.

shoes33.jpg

2568611457_ed4516d95f_o.jpg

2568612453_3e7bca7bba_o.jpg

2625618267_a710779770_o.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The description says 11 1/2.

I just looked at more photos of it on eBay. This was a woman's shoe. Aside from its extreme narrowness (3 1/2 inches across the sole), it has had its buttons moved outward, making the boot's circumference bigger around the shins. If the buttons had been left in their original places, the boot would look much much more 'slender' and 'feminine'.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe