Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crushable fedora to use in rainy days

dzacca

New in Town
Hi all,

I'm back on line, this time from Dublin, where I moved 10 days ago.
I'm looking for an hat to use during the rainy days here in Dublin. I'm currently here just with my Fed DL, but I'd need something different. I need a crushable hat to take with me when I can't or I don't want to use the Fed or other, and more expensive, hats. The hat should also be lightweight and very soft (when it rains, here in Dublin, there's always quite a strong wind, an hard felt would fly away almost immediately).

Any suggestion?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Rainy days are some of the ones I can wear my Fedora and not feel the least bit self conscious around here. For that reason, I look forward to them.

Edward

Bartender
A hat with a wind trolley would be a good idea for you. The Akubra Fedora comes with one fitted as standard (open crown too). not crushable, though in my experience if the wind is strong enough to life a fur with a stiff brim, it'll lift anything - even a wool hat with a very flexible brim.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
The Fedora may be a good choice. I have the Sydney, basically the same hat without the wind trolley, and it survived a trip in my suitcase just fine. It's very soft as well.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I've had a strong wind whip my Fedora off my head and pull the wind trolley button right through my button hole. I'm still trying to work out a chin strap that would be like the ones on cowboy hats but less conspicuous. I don't think it would look sillier than a wind trolley, and it would be a lot more functional.

Why don't you want to wear an expensive hat in the rain? Are you worried it will get damaged? If it's a good hat, it won't.

I do understand the desire to "save" one's best or favorite clothing from the stresses of everyday use, though. I don't wear my favorite hats out on any old day because I realize that the more I wear them, the sooner they'll need a reblock, and the higher the chance they'll get lost. Accordingly, I save them for when I feel like I want to look and feel my best. If it's a rainy crappy Wednesday and I'm only going to work and home, and I'm not feeling like dressing up, I'll just grab my Federation.

dzacca

New in Town
Spellflower said:
Why don't you want to wear an expensive hat in the rain? Are you worried it will get damaged? If it's a good hat, it won't.

Nope. It's not that I think it could get damaged. I know it won't. I always wear my Fed when raining without problem. The problem here is that in the road between me and the office I had to walk beside a canal, and than, when I arrive at the train station I'm actually over the water. Considering how strong the wind normally is there, I don't want to see one of my best hat fly away and drop in the water (actually in sea water... as Gran Canal Dock is very near to the sea)

carldelo

One Too Many
Go custom!

See, if you get a nice custom hat, then your Fed DL will be your inexpensive lid and you can wear it without compunction, knowing you've left your very valuable custom hat at home on those blustery days. If this sounds silly, just hang around - this idea makes sense to me now that I've been on the lounge for a couple of months.

As an alternative, you could order a Jaxon Bogart or other inexpensive fur fedora from villagehatshop.com - they're currently on sale.

Spellflower

Practically Family
While I would rather lose a Jaxon than a Federation, it would still ruin my day if my hat blew into the drink on my way to work. I think the best solution is to install a strap.

I did this on my Federation using a cord and a needle and thread, but then found out how stampede strings work and did this: :eusa_doh: . They're such a simple and elegant solution, and I think it can be easily replicated.

I'm going to use a thin piece of wire like a paper clip in place of the cotter pins stampede straps use. The wire simply goes up between the sweat band stitches and then folds down along the sweat. A cord can then be tied to the loop and you get a nice chin strap that can be easily removed without damaging the hat, and which can be tucked under the sweat when not in use. When you feel a gust, simply pull it out, tuck it under your chin, and stride confidently into the wind.

But if you want a new hat then go ahead and get one anyway. :p

dzacca

New in Town
Spellflower said:
I'm going to use a thin piece of wire like a paper clip in place of the cotter pins stampede straps use. The wire simply goes up between the sweat band stitches and then folds down along the sweat. A cord can then be tied to the loop and you get a nice chin strap that can be easily removed without damaging the hat, and which can be tucked under the sweat when not in use. When you feel a gust, simply pull it out, tuck it under your chin, and stride confidently into the wind.

This is a great hint!!! I'd obviously love to buy a new hat (who wouldn't?), but at the moment, with all the expenses from the relocation, stampede straps sound like the best choice! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe