Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credo of the new Vintage Lady

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello ladies.
Its here, our vintage obsession is now the 'newest trend'. Go to malls and the like, vintage inspired clothing line the racks and footwear is on the tootsies of any tend setting gal.

Even the influx of curious ladies has made the FL boards heat up with activity (welcome by the way ladies). Girls are getting back to understanding (or at least I hope), that dressing feminine is not a handicap, or a weakness. Wearing a tailored jacket that covers you, instead of loose baggy clothes can give you just as much, if often not more sex appeal, and respect.

So its up to us, to keep this from not only being a trend, but making the idea of the vintage lady surface to the hearts and minds of everyday life.

So I propose we aim to compile a statement of beliefs, that new teenagers and and older women can follow not just for style, but for ideas as well.

Ill go first.

1. Ladies, its alright for a gentleman to open the door for you. He does not have to be a creep, and you dont have to think he has an agenda. Just say thank you and go about your day.

2. Make eye contact with a stranger. Its empowering, and tells the person you can be strong, and you know it. I see a lot of girls who dont look people in the eye (I am guilty of that as well). That kind of contact creates a strong woman, and we all love strong women.

Whos with me ladies!?

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Great idea, Lady Day! I like the one's you've posted....I don't have anything to add at this time, but I will definitely have to give it some thought!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Excellent idea -- we could publish our own "The Rules" book!

My additions --

A New Vintage Lady doesn't need to raise her voice to get her points across -- she can say volumes with just a knowing glance.

A New Vintage Lady knows the difference between "wit" and "snark."

A New Vintage Lady is fully capable of changing a flat tire -- in heels.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Excellent idea -- we could publish our own "The Rules" book!

My additions --

A New Vintage Lady doesn't need to raise her voice to get her points across -- she can say volumes with just a knowing glance.

You should add on to that one that a New Vintage Lady must also know when to use her voice.

Too many ladies hold back their opinions out of feeling the need to be "polite", whereas men's opinions are quite often respected. Women need to use their voice if they want respect -- at the very least, self-respect.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
The New Vintage Lady stands up straight and holds her head high instead of slouching along staring at the ground as though looking for a dropped earring.

--Leslie

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good ones ladies!
I got another one:

An NVL does not cut with her words. She can find a way to say her piece without always resorting to blatant insult, or a state of complaining, unless needed.

Keep 'em commin' ladies!

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A NVL is more than ornamental. She can dress for the occasion but also knows the importance of being her own person and cultivating her inner strengths.

A NVL is curteous to people of all social situations and is giving and loving to those of less means.

A NVL knows the proper time to take off the heels and walk barefoot, in order to help a greater cause (think Audrey Hepburn).

A NVL can intellectually communicate with those of the same and opposite sex- has well thought out opinions and is accepting of those who don't share her viewpoints.

A NVL knows how to get the most for her money- can be well put together without causing strain to her pocketbook.

Rosie

One Too Many
A NVL realizes that dressing well is not what is considered trendy at the moment but requires taste, good sense and refinement.

A NVL knows that when she is unsure of something, be posied and remain quiet.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
pigeon toe said:
You should add on to that one that a New Vintage Lady must also know when to use her voice.

Too many ladies hold back their opinions out of feeling the need to be "polite", whereas men's opinions are quite often respected. Women need to use their voice if they want respect -- at the very least, self-respect.

Oh, I absolutely agree -- there's a difference between self-control and self-abasement, and an NVL knows where that line is.

The point I was making in my original comment was more along the lines that an NVL never needs to raise her voice -- because she knows how to stay in control of any given situation by keeping cool and calm. This was something I learned myself thru experience -- especially when dealing with men, a raised voice is a signal that you're feeling that you've lost control of the situation, and men, especially, will jump on that. If I'm in a situation where I'm having a difference of opinion with a guy, and the situation threatens to get heated, I've learned the best strategy is to actually *lower* my voice as he raises his -- throws him off balance every time, and keeps me in control of the argument. A very effective technique that every NVL ought to know!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
A NVL realizes that dressing well is not what is considered trendy at the moment but requires taste, good sense and refinement.

A NVL knows that when she is unsure of something, be posied and remain quiet.
That inspired this:
A NVL knows that one quality, classic piece is worth three (or more!) cheap items.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
The NVL understands that what works for her does not necessarily work for everyone else, and she keeps this fact always top-of-mind.

She can and should have and express opinions about sports, weather, politics, sex, and religion, but she never gives unsolicited advice.

She is not an idle gossip, and she'd sooner sit on a hat pin than be overheard criticizing another person's dress, appearance, or behavior.

And she doesn't participate in any trend blindly, even this one.

xoxo,
BV

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A lady (NV or not) needs a variety of vocal volumes. A whisper (to get someone's attention;) ), normal conversational tone (the content should not be discernable from more than 10 feet away, or so), public speaking voice (clearly audible by everyone in a large room) and shouting (to warn others that the building is on fire). Women seem to be loud in all situations these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe