Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lillemor said:
Yup, a whole bunch of us are going to start a vintage community in Ontario.;)

Oh good...then I won't be alone.

I went out for brunch at a fancy-dancy hotel in Edmonton this weekend. I hadn't been there since I was knee high to a grasshopper (about 10 years ago) and what i remember it was fancy, so I dressed up, my new sailor dress which was begging to be worn, red shoes, and a red belt...red flowers in my hair...I didn't get comments, but I got stared at...ALOT. It made me feel super self concious really. I felt so awkward. Then i looked around and remembered, "oh ya, I don't like to look like a slob when I go out" there were people there in tshirts with HOLES in them! The freakin' buffet was 30 bucks a plate...if it was Mcdonalds, then wear your dirty clothes...not at the fancy hotel...

Lenore

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Oh good...then I won't be alone.

I went out for brunch at a fancy-dancy hotel in Edmonton this weekend. I hadn't been there since I was knee high to a grasshopper (about 10 years ago) and what i remember it was fancy, so I dressed up, my new sailor dress which was begging to be worn, red shoes, and a red belt...red flowers in my hair...I didn't get comments, but I got stared at...ALOT. It made me feel super self concious really. I felt so awkward. Then i looked around and remembered, "oh ya, I don't like to look like a slob when I go out" there were people there in tshirts with HOLES in them! The freakin' buffet was 30 bucks a plate...if it was Mcdonalds, then wear your dirty clothes...not at the fancy hotel...

Wow.. and I feel horrible if I wear a hole-y shirt outside to weed the flowerbed in the front yard... people could see me!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lenore said:
Wow.. and I feel horrible if I wear a hole-y shirt outside to weed the flowerbed in the front yard... people could see me!

So do I :eek: Holey shirts seem to be rotting to me.

People never cease to amaze me. I had brunch at the Royal York one Sunday with my snooty cousin, and I saw a woman wearing a muumuu.

Amen, Sisters!

Yesterday I went to a matinee and then the bookstore and cafe. I wore a dress and flowers in my hair.

The very young girl at the theater said "I love the way you dress!" And all the rest were stares - at the bookstore I got the distinct impression that I was being followed around the magazine stacks by one or two people who just couldn't quite make me out.

I mostly got the glassy-eyed, just this side of a frightened rabbit look and I did my best to smile genuinely at everyone so they wouldn't be too scared.

Very often I find myself thinking that there are other ladies from the FL experiencing the same thing in their own neck of the woods and I take comfort in you all. :) That, and the fact that I don't look like those Walmart photos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

C-dot said:
So do I :eek: Holey shirts seem to be rotting to me.

People never cease to amaze me. I had brunch at the Royal York one Sunday with my snooty cousin, and I saw a woman wearing a muumuu.

And here, I find myself thinking "REALLY?" Kind of like when people cut me off on the road....that kind of "really"

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Hamilton_Honey said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

And here, I find myself thinking "REALLY?" Kind of like when people cut me off on the road....that kind of "really"

Haha! Thats what i was thinking...
A couple people would like say something to me in the line at the buffet. I was waiting for the chocolate fountain and the guy behind me was like "I was wondering where that chocolate smell was coming from. Weren't you?" i was like..." no...make sure you use a toothpick when you put your fruit in the fountain"

then another lady at the dessert was like "doesn't this all look so great?" i just smiled and said yes. It's weird though, it was like they were making sure i spoke english or something...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:
It's weird though, it was like they were making sure i spoke english or something...

Well obviously you're an alien life form! No self respecting person on this planet would wear a dress to a fancy hotel.

*martini*time* said:
Haha! Thats what i was thinking...
A couple people would like say something to me in the line at the buffet. I was waiting for the chocolate fountain and the guy behind me was like "I was wondering where that chocolate smell was coming from. Weren't you?" i was like..." no...make sure you use a toothpick when you put your fruit in the fountain"

then another lady at the dessert was like "doesn't this all look so great?" i just smiled and said yes. It's weird though, it was like they were making sure i spoke english or something...

hehehe

"I can't believe it, mates! Another sighting of the rare civilicus dressus, or as we commonly know them, 'snappy dressers'! Let's see if we can get close and record the sounds it makes...."

can you tell I'm having my second cup of coffee....;)

Antje

One Too Many
Here it goes. I went to a dogshow yesterday, so I was wearing a grey jacket and skirt, I was wearing my bangs up because I'm thinking of growing them out. Ofcourse I was wearing my red lips and cateye eyeliner, but I didn't look totally vintage or so, and still there was a lady that said I looked like bettie page?!?

I don't even have black hair, so I don't get it. I know I have a huge tatoo on my leg, of Elvis Presley but that doesn't mean I like the whole era.

( I actually do love 50's, but how could she know?)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Hamilton_Honey said:
"I can't believe it, mates! Another sighting of the rare civilicus dressus, or as we commonly know them, 'snappy dressers'! Let's see if we can get close and record the sounds it makes...."

Pretty sure this made my day.

You guys always make me feel warm and fuzzy. :eek:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton_Honey said:
y'know, to be fair, I think *most* people are unfamiliar / uneducated (about a lot of things including manners) and just reach for the closest idea they can think of. I'm not sure they intend to be rude or awkward, but maybe just don't know any better...
More often than not, people get the era wrong. I'm actually taken aback the few times someone gets it right.
Of course, sometimes its extremely wrong...

Teenage girl: Oh wow! You look so cool... Like one of those 70's pin ups!
Me: 70's?! No no no!! You mean 40's!
Teenage girl: Jeez. Sorry...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A couple of friends and my husband and I went out to antique stores last week. Most often we get "Are you in a play" or "are you performers" which I think is hilarious because the golden rule of costuming is not to let them leave the theatre, and usually, even in small budget, you get dressed there. I know they're just interested, so I don't mind saying "no, we just like to dress like this", or "we collect vintage clothing", and I usually get back a happy answer, but sometimes they pretend to be interested even though they think you're wierd. I don't like when people say "why are you dressed like that?" I sometimes want to say "why are you dressed like that?" but I refrain. lol
I jokingly told my friend, "If you don't want to talk to them, don't make eye contact." It actually usually does work- but that's my experience from years of being painfully shy when I was younger.

Lenore

Practically Family
Aww... I had the best comment just now from one of my tenants. He came into my office and said "I love coming up here. It's like walking into Sam Spade's office, and you're here looking just like his secretary. What was her name?..." "Effie?" "YES! *big grin*"

I wanted to give him a hug. I really needed that after the day I've been having. :eek:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Most often we get "Are you in a play" or "are you performers" which I think is hilarious because the golden rule of costuming is not to let them leave the theatre, and usually, even in small budget, you get dressed there.

I was part of a play this summer. But I wasn't acting, I was...well they called me the Stage Director but I was all over the place. Mostly overseeing the placement of props on stage (IN THE DARK!). Anyways, I wore my circle skirt to our last performance and everyone was asking me, "Who are you supposed to be?" Here's a pic
http://www.homefiresplayers.com/images/DSC_7317.JPG

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Last week, one of the ladies in my swing dance class looked at me when I came in and said something to the effect of, "You always dress so neat and nice - you really look great!" or something to that effect. It made my night, since that week had not been a good one!

I don't really dress *vintage*, but I'm usually wearing a skirt (sometimes from a vintage pattern), my 1930s repro Aris Allen shoes, and red lipstick. Oddly enough, that day I wasn't looking very vintage at all...but hey, I'm not complaining. ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
ShoreRoadLady said:
Oddly enough, that day I wasn't looking very vintage at all...but hey, I'm not complaining. ;)

Perhaps you have begun to emanate it! That's not bad, either ;)

I'm afraid I suffered tonight for vintage :( My sweetie absolutely had to rent a game tonight, and requested I drive him, after I set my hair. Could his timing have been worse? I got at least 14 teeny-boppers laughing hysterically at me sitting in my car, head full of rollers, trying to look immersed in the radio...

Lenore said:
Aww... I had the best comment just now from one of my tenants. He came into my office and said "I love coming up here. It's like walking into Sam Spade's office, and you're here looking just like his secretary. What was her name?..." "Effie?" "YES! *big grin*"

I wanted to give him a hug. I really needed that after the day I've been having. :eek:

That is swell! I think we should make you a name plate for your desk that says "Effie darling" :)

C-dot said:
Perhaps you have begun to emanate it! That's not bad, either ;)

I'm afraid I suffered tonight for vintage :( My sweetie absolutely had to rent a game tonight, and requested I drive him, after I set my hair. Could his timing have been worse? I got at least 14 teeny-boppers laughing hysterically at me sitting in my car, head full of rollers, trying to look immersed in the radio...

"And there, through the window they could see her - emanating charm and style like the soft glow of an old radio...."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld