Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cleaning/washing very old waxed cotton trousers?

wangdangdo

New in Town
Hello, any advice regarding this would be very much appreciated, I bought a lovely pair of 40s maybe 50s 'Union made' waxed cotton or duck canvas trousers today, i reckon these might possibly be motorcycle trousers, they have a strange crinkly plastic type material in-between the inner & outer layers of the trousers, just like the waterproof crinkly plastic stuff used in U.S navy N1 deck jackets,
these trousers could really do with a wash or a gentle clean they are absolutely minging, they smell terrible,
does anybody know of a way to wash them without damaging them or changing the colour?
thanks in advance.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Filson's waxed cotton garments have instructions to use only a damp cloth for surface spots and stiff brush for loose surface soil. Washing will likely result in shrinkage and loss or water repellency. There might be a tag inside to instruct you.

clarkedakin

New in Town
The fabric of old clothes are somewhat loose so it should be washed with care. If the stain is simple, you can easily wash it with water but if stain is strong you need to use a solvent based on cloth type. Cotton clothes can endure soaking, drying and heat too so it's easy to use bleach but as the cloth is old using bleach can be harsh so try chlorine bleach in dilute form to preserve fabric. You can also use lemon juice or vinegar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82