Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citation: Hats of Distinction

The crown and brim are larger than I thought. Looks good to me. See if it looks anything like the Diplomat in this ad.:

1947Champ.jpg

That would place it being made in 1947. You are right about the age of the hat. Learning already. ;)

Regards to all,

J

pop_artz

New in Town
Hi y'all!

Long time lurker, first time posting! First of all, thanks to many of you for your pictures and feedback on your haberdashery of distinction over the years. It has helped guide me on many of my wardrobe choices.

Over the weekend I picked up this Citation "Hat of Distinction" at an antiques consignment store in a near suburb of Chicago. It was open crown and untouched with no sign of wear at all! It is pristine inside and out. It also came with the original box that is in perfect condition.
The lady at the store said she had picked up 4 identical ones at an estate sale and thinks that maybe the original owner was in the hat business here in the Chicago area. I wasn't surprised as this thing looks like it sat in a box on a shelf at a hat shop waiting to be custom shaped to the client's desired look. Funny thing was they had it labeled as a Bowler hat. LOL! I told them it was a lot more likely that it was open crown for the reason previously stated.
The color is like a Silverbelly (my Silverbelly Open Road is next to it for comparison) with a slight shade of brown.

We paid the lady, I promptly put a cattleman crease in it and got a compliment on my "lid" minutes later. :)

Questions:
Does anyone know what model this is?
Approximate year?
Name of the color?

In my research I stumbled upon this article about Citation Hat Corp./Mid City Uniform Cap Co. Let's just say it hits all the right notes of a good Chicago story of success, big personality and corruption.
PXL_20240611_001251735.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hi y'all!

Long time lurker, first time posting! First of all, thanks to many of you for your pictures and feedback on your haberdashery of distinction over the years. It has helped guide me on many of my wardrobe choices.

Over the weekend I picked up this Citation "Hat of Distinction" at an antiques consignment store in a near suburb of Chicago. It was open crown and untouched with no sign of wear at all! It is pristine inside and out. It also came with the original box that is in perfect condition
The lady at the store said she had picked up 4 identical ones at an estate sale and thinks that maybe the original owner was in the hat business here in the Chicago area. I wasn't surprised as this thing looks like it sat in a box on a shelf at a hat shop waiting to be custom shaped to the client's desired look. Funny thing was they had it labeled as a Derby hat. LOL I told them it was a lot more likely that it was open crown for the reason previously stated.
The color is like a Silverbelly (my Silverbelly Open Road is next to it for comparison) with slight a shade of brown.

I quickly put a cattleman crease in it and got a compliment on my "lid" minutes after my first outing. :)

Questions:
Approximate year?
Name of the color?

In my research I stumbled upon this article about Citation Hat Corp./Mid City Uniform Cap Co. Let's just say it hits all the right notes of a good Chicago story of success, big personality and corruption.
View attachment 620380
Fantastic hat! Love that crease in it—old, OLD school!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Mighty fine hats. It is great to come across those vintage NOS hats.

Hi y'all!

Over the weekend I picked up this Citation "Hat of Distinction" at an antiques consignment store in a near suburb of Chicago. It was open crown and untouched with no sign of wear at all! It is pristine inside and out. It also came with the original box that is in perfect condition
The lady at the store said she had picked up 4 identical ones at an estate sale and thinks that maybe the original owner was in the hat business here in the Chicago area. I wasn't surprised as this thing looks like it sat in a box on a shelf at a hat shop waiting to be custom shaped to the client's desired look. Funny thing was they had it labeled as a Derby hat. LOL I told them it was a lot more likely that it was open crown for the reason previously stated.
The color is like a Silverbelly (my Silverbelly Open Road is next to it for comparison) with slight a shade of brown.

I quickly put a cattleman crease in it and got a compliment on my "lid" minutes after my first outing. :)

Questions:
Approximate year?
Name of the color?

View attachment 620380

pop_artz

New in Town

Mighty fine hats. It is great to come across those vintage NOS hats.
It is indeed on both counts! It's one size smaller than I usually wear but it fits. I couldn't believe my luck and it's been fun to learn about the Chicago connection. I'm guessing it's from the forties or fifties. It's pretty wild to have a brand new hat that is 70-80 years old!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tamarasilvt