Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check This out....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, I know it's not a hat, but it is a Painting of a Hat, lol I found this at our local Wal-Mart.....and get this, it was a whopping $2.00. :D It's not a print, mind you. It's an actual oil, or maybe acrylic?

Painting1.jpg

bolthead

Feraud said:
Did Wal-Mart start selling paintings? It looks like a textured print.
You're right as far as a textured print goes, because it's done right on top of a piece of wood. It's not canvas. What I meant by not being a print was, it's not one of those mass produced paper prints. It measures 19" x 15".

Stan

A-List Customer
Screenprinted

Hi,

Those are most likely screenprinted using pigment inks. My wife has made special orders like that, having been in the screenprinting business for over 20 years.

They're neat, and pretty cheap as you note. ;)

One word of warning. The ink is thin, not thick like paint, and subject to severe sun fading. It won't last a year in the sun as there's just not much pigment there.

The other possiblity is that the thing is inkjet printed.

The printer manufacturers have been after the screenprinters to buy special inkjet printers for the past few years, even for printing onto T-shirts. The scheme is somewhat better than printing onto transfer paper and then heat pressing the image onto the fabric (or whatever the material is), but not nearly as good as the old fashioned laying down of ink thru silkscreen. It's a technology best suited to small quantity production runs, so I doubt this was done using one.

Here's how you tell if it's screenprinted or inkjet printed: Feel the surface.

If there's a slight step you can feel between the colors, then it's screen printed in a standard multi-color manner. The black would have gone onto the surface first as the underbase and then the colors applied on top of the black. The surface will feel slightly rough as well.

If it's screenprinted using a full-color process, as in mixing primary color inks to produce the image, then there'll be no step but the surface will still feel slightly rough. I doubt that this was the method used as there's just not that many colors making up the image, nor is there a lot of detail. Process is usually reserved for images with a photographic look to them, as it's pretty fussy to control in large quantity production.

Screenprinting onto solid surfaces leaves a slightly rough feel as the ink pulls up slightly in the vertical plane when the screen pulls away behind the squeege stroke. So, both methods of screenprinting would leave a slightly rough texture to the surface.

If the thing were printed on an inkjet, then the surface would feel pretty darned smooth. The ink droplets are a lot smaller in a jet than one gets with printing thru a screen mesh, so things are pretty smooth.

I'd bet on a five-color standard screenprinting method, as that would be the fastest in production, using automatic flatbed screenprinting presses. ;)

Later!

Stan

bolthead

Thanks Stan......

Stan said:
Hi,

The thing is quite the cool image, regardless of how it was produced! :eusa_doh:

Stan
......for bringing back some fond memories of High School. I used to do silk screening way back in 1976-78, when I was in Commercial Art, although is was quite a bit different back then....pain stakingly different :D

It's exactly as you said it would be, a cheap ink jet print.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust