Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charlie Chan

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Anyone know if there's a new Charlie Chan movie in the works? It should only be done if it's set in the 30's with a real Asian actor this time since there're so many good ones to choose from now and not be concerned otherwise about being PC. I heard there was a possibility of an updated version with Lucy Liu as his granddaughter and probably turning it in to a martial arts flick. Puh-lease.

Good night and good luck...make that wish me luck!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
It sounds like it may be stuck in what the industry calls "development hell."

This is the most recent thing I've seen on it:

The Status of Charlie Chan: Liu revealed she’s still working on getting the Charlie Chan movie made. “It’s been about six years. We are still forging the way to a script that’s feasible. You have to remember that it was a television series that people absolutely loved, but it was also something that was in some ways racially backwards at the time. It was cast with Caucasian people dressed as Asian people so we have a lot of stereotypes to work through. We want to bring what people loved about Charlie then and bring it to light now. I realize that now as I’ve been going through it, you know? When I look back, it’s not a process that is fast. And no, the wall comes down and that doesn’t mean we all have democracy all of a sudden. You face the issue and then you have to sort of break it down and recognize, ‘Okay, what is it we want to achieve as opposed to putting something up and being disappointed and disappointing other people?’”

Liu says the film is closer to becoming a reality now that it was before, but they’ve still got a while to go before it'll be ready to start production. “I think it’s closer than it’s been before. I can tell you right now it won’t take another six years, as far as I know. But I think it will be worth the wait.”

FATS88

One of the Regulars
I hope they don't

I read somewhere that Russell Wong was going to star
as an offspring of Charlie Chan's in a modern day setting.
That sounded bad enough, but this sounds worse!
Don't get me wrong, Lucy is beautiful with a capital B.
but I wouldn't want to see that.
If anything; they should make a nostalgic film based more accurately
on the life and cases of the real Chang Apana:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/150/sesq6apana
Starring John Lone:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0518821/#actor2000

Cheers!
Fats

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
While the movie doesn't look like it is happening., Chan fans can rejoyce in new editions of Earl Biggers original Chan novels. I was Barnes and Noble yesterday and they had the first two books with sweet vintage-style covers.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Biggers novels

Brian Sheridan said:
While the movie doesn't look like it is happening., Chan fans can rejoyce in new editions of Earl Biggers original Chan novels. I was Barnes and Noble yesterday and they had the first two books with sweet vintage-style covers.

Thanks for the heads up Brian, great Christmas present idea.

Fats88

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The character Charlie Chan was based on a real life Honolulu Police Dept. detective who didn't carry a gun, he carried a bull whip. And he was very good at using it.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe