Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champ Deluxe in 7 5/8! Photographs (and accolades for Wesne).

MattJH

One Too Many
You may remember this thread, in which I pined for two hats I had fairly lost out on via eBay. Our own Wesne was the winner of the Champ Deluxe, which was the one I had wanted the most out of the two listings. About a week ago, Wesne sent me a private message here letting me know that the hat was too large on him, and offered the hat to me. Done and DONE! It was particularly considerate of him to think of me and I sincerely thank him for it.

The Champ Deluxe arrived today and I couldn't be happier about it. I already knew about the sweatband damage, as Wesne had kindly taken his own photographs for me to view before deciding on whether or not I wanted to purchase it. There are a few moth divots in the felt, but they're all on the underside of the brim and utterly unnoticable wearing it. I know -- I just wore it to walk my dog.

It fits perfectly. I'm really happy about this. The bound brim is sharp. I do have a few questions before the photos follow:

01) Do you think the hat is missing lining or do you think it wasn't sold with one?
02) If you're asked to date the hat, what would you estimate?
03) Would any hat shop that does repairs be able to repair the sweatband? In other words, is it a simple anybody-job, or does it warrant being sent to somebody?

As always, I appreciate your help. A great score at a true 7 5/8! Here are the photographs. Thanks again, Wesne. You rule.

01-champ-front.jpg

02-champ-side.jpg

03-champ-bash.jpg

04-champ-boundbrim.jpg

05-champ-liner2.jpg

06-champ-liner1.jpg

07-champ-bow.jpg

08-champ-inside1.jpg

09-champ-inside2.jpg

10-champ-wearing.jpg

Wesne

One of the Regulars
That hat looks great on you Dumbjaw, just as I had hoped!

I'm in-between a 7 1/2 and a 7 5/8, but going on the assumption that hats tend to shrink a bit over the years I took a chance on this one and found that it had apparently not shrunk at all. By my measurement, it came right in at 24 inches, which is Dumbjaw's size. It was just enough too big for me that I didn't think I'd ever really be satisfied with it, and I thought it deserved to be on a properly fitting head.

Unfortunately the sweatband damage is at least partially my fault. The stitching must have been loose and got caught on the bootlace I was using as a measuring tape, and when I pulled it away, zzziippppp.... it unraveled. :( The sweatband itself seems to be in good shape but just needs sewn back in.

This is a pretty big hat, and I think it's got a wonderfully classic look to it. I measured the brim at 2 5/8 inches and the crown at 5 1/2 inches, unbashed. The felt is very soft. It looks very 1940s to me but I'm certainly not an expert.

Stoney

Practically Family
Great looking hat. I love the triple stitching on the bound edge!

You should be able to get that sweatband sewn back in for about $10.00.
If it was me, I would just get out the old needle and thread, rather than send it off.

Congrats Dumbjaw. It looks smashing on you.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw, if you really love this hat and think that it warrants spending some money on (which I think it does), then send it to Graham Thompson at the Optimo Hat Co. in Chicago for renovation. You won't be sorry, their work is excellent and you'll be left with one great hat. Lot of luck.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Oh my.

That is an awesome hat. It has all the characteristics I would look for in a hat - BUT somehow it looks different from all the rest. I can't put my finger on it.

Love the color-

Jerekson

MattJH

One Too Many
Stoney said:
If it was me, I would just get out the old needle and thread, rather than send it off.

I've never sewn anything in my life and my small motor skills are laughable at best and dangerous for the rest. No luck so far finding a hat repair place in Philadelphia.

Anyone have any answers for questions 1 and 2 in the initial post? Very curious!

Jerekson

One Too Many
Well, since you asked;

I definitely think that this hat is liner-less (obvious statement-but seriously). Partially the reason I can tell is from the look and design of the sweatband.

No liner originally.

If I had to date this hate I would say the late 40's. The wide brim, fat ribbon, and semi-tapered crown kind of give it away for me (keep in mind, though, that I am completely uneducated in this area).

I'm probably wron about everything I just said, but I figured I would at least try to help.

Regards

Jerekson

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Oh my.

That is an awesome hat. It has all the characteristics I would look for in a hat - BUT somehow it looks different from all the rest. I can't put my finger on it.

Love the color-

Jerekson

I think it's the wide, triple-stitched binding on the brim that does it. The body of the hat is a pretty neutral shade of gray, but the brim binding has a subtle blue-green color that really sets the hat off and makes it something special.

MattJH

One Too Many
Damon Falzone said:
Dumbjaw, if you really love this hat and think that it warrants spending some money on (which I think it does), then send it to Graham Thompson at the Optimo Hat Co. in Chicago for renovation.

It's being shipped today! I'll post after-photos when I get it back.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
WOW!!:eek:

If I didn't know any better I would say that that hat is a Dobbs. Why? Because I have a hat that looks almost exactly like it. Mine has the slight taper, has the triple-stitched brim, and didn't have a liner in it when I received it. Mine is brown and a 7 1/2 though and in need of some restoration. I think that it is a good look and you are fortunate to have such a beauty in your size. Congrats!:eusa_clap

Regards,
Hollis

MKL

A-List Customer
Yes, that is quite a hat. I really like the extra wide trim band. Looks great on you.

MattJH

One Too Many
Firstly, thanks to everyone who complimented it! I can't wait to get it back all tuned up and ready to wear, especially since the warmer months are coming and the hat is linerless and lightweight.

Secondly, I've learned something from this thread -- people here definitely prefer non-stingy fedoras! You can tell by the lack of response to my Dobbs, Stetson Royal, Adams, and Knox finds. With the exception of the 7 1/2 Adams, they're all 7 5/8 hats with the original boxes, and they all fit just fine! I'm surprised is all -- I'm excited about them, but stingy brims, by most accounts, aren't preferred. You can tell just by a search of archived threads.

There's no question that this Champ Deluxe is my favorite hat that I own, but I like the stingies, too! In fact, I broke in my Dobbs yesterday going supermarket shopping, just for the fun of it.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my luck so far in finding vintage hats in 7 5/8, especially after one of my first posts here was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find any. They're definitely out there, you just have to really stay on top of everything, meticulously sift, and you have to be willing to spend a bit more money and time than the 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 crowd (you lucky dogs!).

MattJH

One Too Many
I finally get my favorite hat back! Here it is after Graham at Optimo worked it. Cleaned, blocked, new sweatband. It's extremely comfortable. Huge fan of this one. I'll have it forever.

P.S. - Pardon the shirt in the last photograph. Great band, though!

01-champ-front-1.jpg

02-champ-side-1.jpg

03-champ-top.jpg

04-champ-under.jpg

05-optimo-me.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust