Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casting for a new Thin Man movie series????

WH1

Practically Family
I was watching a couple of the Thin Man movies the last couple of nights and I always marvel at the smooth interchange between Myrna Loy and William Powell. The dialogue is amazing but so is the delivery. It got me to thinking are there any couples who could do justice to the dialogue today?
A few possibilities come to mind not necessarily paired:

Nick
George Clooney
Bill Murray
Bruce Campbell
Tom Hanks
Hugh Laurie
Kevin Spacey???

Nora
Sandra Bullock
Nicole Kidman
Catherine Zeta Jones
Rene Zellweger
Katherine Heigl
Julia Roberts

I like some of the possibilities any others come to mind or comments on the above.

WH1

Practically Family
Not sure he has ever done the tongue in cheek that Nick requires. But he is the best of them as an actor. Another I have thought of is Kevin Kline.

I will admit the actresses is tough. The whole delivery thing is the tough part. Zellweger has shown some ability in the past, think Leatherheads with Clooney.

Really an excercise in futility as they would never top Powell and Loy anyway. But an interesting time waster.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Hart to Hart" in the 1980's was a remake, even had the dog "Element"

Hart-to-Hart.JPG

PD8099073@Mandatory-Credit-Phot-7001.jpg

George Clooney for Nick, oh dam it!!! Madonna for Nora, IF, she can get over herself!" (Sorry Hunni)

madonna-1.jpg

she can still do it

WH1

Practically Family
George Clooney for Nick, oh dam it!!! Madonna for Nora, IF, she can get over herself!" (Sorry Hunni)

Interesting idea, although I do agree with the get over herself part.:eusa_clap She just hasn't really ever struck me as being likeable, which I think is essential for Nora.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Not that I'm in any way shape or form endorsing the idea of a remake....

...but the only "big name" actress I can see doing any justice to Myrna Loy's work is Jennifer Jason Leigh - think about here roll in The Hudsucker Proxy...

...not so sure about a suitable modern Nick, though.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Interesting thread but I hope they NEVER remake the Thin Man series. It was bad enough watching Adam Sandler play Longfellow Deeds. I don't think I could stomach watching bad actors with zero chemistry play a modern version of Nick and Nora.

If someone ever does decide to do a remake I hope they will at least hire excellent writers to write the snappy dialog. The only writers that immediately come to mind are the ones that did the Golden Girls sitcom. I thought they wrote excellent dialog. But, what will probably happen is they will get lousy writers and lousy actors and I'll hate it.lol

Doublegun

Practically Family
Myrna and Dick had a chemistry that has never been duplicated and probably neever will. There was just something special there that transcends acting. I don't think there are any actors out there to day that could possibly duplicate that chemistry, regardless of their acting ability.

Personally, I hope no one every tries to re-make Nick and Nora. Somethings are just better left alone. Trying to ge-do the Thin Man movies would be like trying to remake To Kill a Mockingbird, something you just don't do. I say that and then I think of the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still - whoever though up that idea should be banned from the film industry for life and take Mr. Reeves with him/her.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
...but the only "big name" actress I can see doing any justice to Myrna Loy's work is Jennifer Jason Leigh - think about here roll in The Hudsucker Proxy...

...not so sure about a suitable modern Nick, though.

These are some of my favorite modern day actors (in no particular order) and I can't picture any of them playing Nick.:(

Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey, Jr., Edward Norton, Russell Crowe, Sean Penn, Don Cheadle, Christian Bale, Denzel Washington, Ralph Fienes, Jude Law, Kevin Spacey, Tom Hanks, George Clooney and Paul Giamatti.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
WH1 said:
I was watching a couple of the Thin Man movies the last couple of nights and I always marvel at the smooth interchange between Myrna Loy and William Powell. The dialogue is amazing but so is the delivery. It got me to thinking are there any couples who could do justice to the dialogue today?
A few possibilities come to mind not necessarily paired:

Nick
George Clooney
Bill Murray
Bruce Campbell
Tom Hanks
Hugh Laurie
Kevin Spacey???

Nora
Sandra Bullock
Nicole Kidman
Catherine Zeta Jones
Rene Zellweger
Katherine Heigl
Julia Roberts

I like some of the possibilities any others come to mind or comments on the above.
This pairing would be perfectly servicalbe and probably the most bankable.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Julia Roberts just rubs me the wrong way, and has for years. Probably due to all those giggly, giddy characters she played for so long, as I know she's done critically acclaimed work in things like "Erin Brockovich".
The trouble with big Hollywood stars is their own strong identities are hard to overcome to the point of losing yourself in the character they portray.
Many of the most compelling modern films I've seen have been independent productions, and foreign creations featuring unknown actors. I find they give a purer performance, and don't come saddled with their own tabloid baggage.

WH1

Practically Family
Oh I know and firmly believe that Powell and Loy were the ultimate pairing for Nick and Nora, but it is an interesting theoretical discussion. My point is that so few of the actors and actresses of today seem to have the ability to carry off the light heartedness of the Thin Man type dialogue. It reminds one of Cary Grant retiring in reaction to the "new style" of acting represented by Brando and Clift in the early 50's.

Ed Harris might be an interesting choice.
The female role is definitley the tougher of the two to picture. I think Katherine Heigl in a few years might be able to challenge for it as I have enjoyed her in most of the roles I have seen her in.

Clooney and Zellweger had some good light moments in "Leatherheads" so they are a possibility. He is the one current star who seems closest to the leading men of the 30's and 40's. Another is Hugh Jackman, he has a very diverse background which might play well.

Doublegun

Practically Family
If you really want to appreciate just how good they were together watch a few scenes from the first movie with the sound off. You really focus on the ques they take from each other - you really can't tell they are acting. They were so spontaneous.

The movies have always been among my favorites of all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally