Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown bogie style anyone interested?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I talked to Ken via email and inquired about him offering a bogart style lid. He said he had just gotten in from work and was in fact typing from bed! he had a 9 hour deposition but said, he will be hot on the fedora trail tommorrow!
I mentioned that he is getting a LOT of positive mention over here and that a bogart style would possibly capture more than just the indy types.

He said, " A Bogie sounds like a good idea. I will look into it." And suggested possibly a Metro gray with a 4.25 open crown and a 2.5 inch snap brim.
Since everybody on here knows much more about great lids than me I was thinking maybe some good input on the perfect fed would help him and me since I want one. I think its pretty cool that he's open to this so if anyone may be interested post so he will know.
He also said thanks to all for your support and kindness!

P.S. Daniel, He said i'm in for the dimensional!:D

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Frankly, I already have a great vintage bogie style, and Ken's hats are a bit rich for my blood.... but if I had the dough, and lacked the hat (or even if I just had the money, lol) I think Ken would be a great choice. Or even if not a bogie, than for a different style than the Indyesque styles offered now. Perhaps a hybrid, such as I tall crown with shorter brim, which is what I think would look best on me. Dang, I need to stop thinking about that style, I'm gonna get myself in trouble and end up ordering one with out the money in the bank....:confused:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Kentucky Blues said:
Frankly, I already have a great vintage bogie style, and Ken's hats are a bit rich for my blood.... but if I had the dough, and lacked the hat (or even if I just had the money, lol) I think Ken would be a great choice. Or even if not a bogie, than for a different style than the Indyesque styles offered now. Perhaps a hybrid, such as I tall crown with shorter brim, which is what I think would look best on me. Dang, I need to stop thinking about that style, I'm gonna get myself in trouble and end up ordering one with out the money in the bank....:confused:
:D You don't need electricity this month do you !?

fatwoul

Practically Family
Who was it who was trying to get hold of a blue hat recently? ;)

Typing from bed eh? That's no good. I mean, doesn't the tower, and monitor, and keyboard, and mouse screw up the duvet? Unless of course he was using a laptop...

This would be a good place for people to express interest in different lids Ken might consider expanding to, but at the same time, part of me really likes the simplicity of what he offers - two (soon perhaps three) different styles of hat, each in one colour only. It has a kind of Ford "any colour you like so long as it's black" feel to it, I think.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Kentucky Blues said:
...even if not a bogie, than for a different style than the Indyesque styles offered now...

It's certainly Ken's wish that his hats will appeal to more than just the Indy crowd, but his block shapes are really quite different anyway - they're really just more in keeping with the style an Indy fan might appreciate, whilst being hats with a more general appeal.

I think part of the "Indy thing" is that so far the Fieldmasters we have see have all been Indy bashes, or approximations thereof; great as they all look, so far we've only seen variations of the "front pinch and centre dent". I don't remember seeing any teardrops or C-dents yet, or any very broad, subtle front pinches (more like on RBH's TVA), but once more people have them, and start experimenting, we might see how different from an Indy lid Ken's current offerings can be.

I know I was saying I wouldn't, but depending how the hat looks when I get it (primarily how big the brim looks on me) will greatly dictate the bash it gets, and I may still try a TVA in it. I've looked at the pictures again, and RBH is right - the crown isn't pinched too tight for that.

I think putting a TVA bash into a Fieldmaster would be like putting two of my favourite hats in a collider and blasting them at each other to form one superhat. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you're going to end up with more than one in the end! I think if he had 4 or 5 models he would have a perfect niche. You have adventirebilt for the indy only market and VS where if I'm correct you can get just about anything you or he can imagine! (I've really got to get one of those too) I think camptown could fit right there in the middle.
I am a newb at this so what do I know. I would like all the good hatters to have success since there are so few of them out there!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
It's certainly Ken's wish that his hats will appeal to more than just the Indy crowd, but his block shapes are really quite different anyway - they're really just more in keeping with the style an Indy fan might appreciate, whilst being hats with a more general appeal.

I think part of the "Indy thing" is that so far the Fieldmasters we have see have all been Indy bashes, or approximations thereof; great as they all look, so far we've only seen variations of the "front pinch and centre dent". I don't remember seeing any teardrops or C-dents yet, or any very broad, subtle front pinches (more like on RBH's TVA), but once more people have them, and start experimenting, we might see how different from an Indy lid Ken's current offerings can be.

I know I was saying I wouldn't, but depending how the hat looks when I get it (primarily how big the brim looks on me) will greatly dictate the bash it gets, and I may still try a TVA in it. I've looked at the pictures again, and RBH is right - the crown isn't pinched too tight for that.

I think putting a TVA bash into a Fieldmaster would be like putting two of my favourite hats in a collider and blasting them at each other to form one superhat. :D
I never imagined any brown fedora with anything but an indy bash until I saw RBHs TVA! I have been thinking about changing my black fed to that bash.

T

Thumbs

I'd love to see Ken do that, but for a Bogie style, it'd have to be a higher open crown than 4.25, that's Derbyville! More like 5.25 - 5.75, and I think a 2 3/8 brim would be good, considering he only offers very wide brims now. And make it Blue, Ken! I need a blue hat....

Kens hats are a Beaver blend, something like 50/50 Beaver/Rabbit from what I've read. I think they're all factory made, where it's pounced, ect... also where the sweat, ribbon and liner is attached, so comparing him to Steve and Art isn't quite fair for Ken. His hats could never compare to a true single craftsman 100% Beaver custom hat. They are in a catagory all their own, I think.

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood you Indycop (posted before caffine intake). You're right, with a few more models he would have a niche for sure. His hats are far higher quality and less costly than the average production hat.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
indycop said:
:D You don't need electricity this month do you !?

lol
I have a good friend who always uses the line, "I would buy, but my children have become accustomed to the finer things in life ... such as eating and living indoors."

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
HamletJSD said:
lol
I have a good friend who always uses the line, "I would buy, but my children have become accustomed to the finer things in life ... such as eating and living indoors."
My situation is similar, but they're pet rats, and they're in need of a new cage.... stupid $150 rat cage.....

and Thumbs, more than 4.25in open crown is a must for a bogie lid, but 5.25 is right about where my bogie lid is open crown, and its almost dead on for the maltese falcon hat.... or at least it was when I had it shaped that way. I changed the shape so the crown is higher, it has a center dent instead of a c-crown, and it has a looser pinch. But considering how tapered it looks this way, I believe that this higher-than-bogie style is a bit higher than the crown, or at least the block, is intended to be. Therefore, a taller crown would most likely be too tall for a real bogart style lid. But still, the hat you describe doesn't sound bad at all nonetheless :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Man, I'd love to see that lid in action. There are plenty of Bogart images to reference for the hat right on the Golden Age hats page.

http://www.thegoldenera.net/hat_Bogart_Falcon.html

http://www.thegoldenera.net/hat_Bogart_Casablanca.html

I think the 5 1/2" crown with the 2 3/8" brim would work well for this. One could go with a talle crown & wider brim for their own personal tastes and do their own custom work to get that perfect Bogie that they have always wanted. Sounds like a plan I would be interested in. Maybe offer several colors in that variety (like black, grey & and a lighter brown & a blue).
What Ken offers now with the Metropolitan could be shaped into a bogie style and the Noir could have a possibility towards that end.

Cheers!

Dan

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Just let them run around in the attic! lol

we don't have a real attic, its just sort of a crawl space where there's insulation and stuff, I've never even seen it. The rats could live just fine up there, but I'd never get to see them!

fatwoul

Practically Family
Kentucky Blues said:
we don't have a real attic, its just sort of a crawl space where there's insulation and stuff, I've never even seen it. The rats could live just fine up there, but I'd never get to see them!

Once they had lots of babies, you could remove the insulation altogether. lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Thumbs said:
I'd love to see Ken do that, but for a Bogie style, it'd have to be a higher open crown than 4.25, that's Derbyville! More like 5.25 - 5.75, and I think a 2 3/8 brim would be good, considering he only offers very wide brims now. And make it Blue, Ken! I need a blue hat....

Kens hats are a Beaver blend, something like 50/50 Beaver/Rabbit from what I've read. I think they're all factory made, where it's pounced, ect... also where the sweat, ribbon and liner is attached, so comparing him to Steve and Art isn't quite fair for Ken. His hats could never compare to a true single craftsman 100% Beaver custom hat. They are in a catagory all their own, I think.

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood you Indycop (posted before caffine intake). You're right, with a few more models he would have a niche for sure. His hats are far higher quality and less costly than the average production hat.
I may not be reading this right but other than the felt all the rest of the hat is his work. from I understand Ken get his bodies and everything else is his. The liners, also his sweatbands have been quite the talk on COW (ventilated). I think dan could probably explain it better than me.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
Man, I'd love to see that lid in action. There are plenty of Bogart images to reference for the hat right on the Golden Age hats page.

http://www.thegoldenera.net/hat_Bogart_Falcon.html

http://www.thegoldenera.net/hat_Bogart_Casablanca.html

I think the 5 1/2" crown with the 2 3/8" brim would work well for this. One could go with a talle crown & wider brim for their own personal tastes and do their own custom work to get that perfect Bogie that they have always wanted. Sounds like a plan I would be interested in. Maybe offer several colors in that variety (like black, grey & and a lighter brown & a blue).
What Ken offers now with the Metropolitan could be shaped into a bogie style and the Noir could have a possibility towards that end.

Cheers!

Dan
What kind of bash is that in the maltese falcon shots? Diamond, teardrop?
Would a bogie also have a bit of taper or a stovepipe?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Kentucky Blues said:
Just run one those tube things like hamsters use up to the attic then they can come down and visit!! Or put a clear glass piece in the ceiling and they can stare at you with their little red eyes!!!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:

I'd love to see this happen. I'd buy a blue one for sure, and probably at least a grey as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust