Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft Customization Question

PhilS

One of the Regulars
I know there are a lot of threads concerning Campdrafts, but I have a specific question that i haven't yet found the answer to. It has to do with customizing the shape.

I assume that the Campdraft comes with a completely unformed crown, something like this:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/e2/92/ebf0_2.JPG

Now, I know that it is easy to make the hat look like this:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/e2/a8/5069_2.JPG

What I really want, however, it to make it look like this:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/e1/ac/8c51_2.JPG

How do I do that? Is there someone in NYC who will do that for me? If not, who will?

Also, can anyone tell me if the 3 month wait turns out to really be 3 months?

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Looking at your photos, it looks like the second is a simple wide centerdent or even a diamond, while what you say you really want is a C-crown or a Teardrop.
You can do this yourself, but should you be unhappy with your results, any hatter should be able to steam and shape it for you, whether you have tried to or not. Your shaping attempts won't hinder a steaming and a reshaping.

Don't be afraid to to try this, you ain't gonna hurt that hat by shaping the crown. Once you start pressing on a good felt crown, you quickly realize how forgiving the material is.
First, try it dry. Don't worry about water at first.
Put a shallow crease down the center front to back, and put the dimples in the front, as deep or shallow as you want. Keep a finger or two inside the crown to help with the shaping.
Once that's done, just start pushing on the sides of the centerdent until you create a teardrop shape, the point of which will be to the front. You can go as deep or as shallow as you want, just eyeball it. Check it in a mirror on your head.
Not happy? Knock the shape out and try again.
The only thing to keep in mind is, don't press a sharp pinch into the felt until you are completely sure that is what you want. That pinch will be harder to remove, as the felt will 'remember' that more than moderate dents and valleys.
If you want to commit to a shape or get a little more control, try misting the crown with a little cool water. The felt will mold easier and will 'remember' wet forms longer.

Sometimes we dry shape and leave it at that. Sometimes we wet shape, sometimes we use a little steam. Just a matter of preference or what we want from a hat. Sometimes a stiff felt wants a little moisture to coax it. Sometimes it takes a "bashing" just fine.

Fiddle with the brim and the crown, you aren't doing any permenant damage.
Then, after all that, decide if you want a western store or a hatshop to steam it for you.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I ordered a Campdraft last week and was told not to expect shipment until sometime in June, but who knows I might get lucky and get it sooner.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Like RBH said! Don't be afraid to play around with the shape. Take it slow, think about what you want it to look like and then shape it dry. Once you have the shape you'll be happy with then hit it with a little steam to set what you have done. Over time, when playing with it, it will take on it's own character & suit you very well.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust