Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling out The National Guard (Pennsylvania) circa early 1900s

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very fedoraesque wearing by week-end warriors of C******** Hats I'd say around 1902 or so. If anyone knows please post. Plus I'm kinda bored and just like this picture,
19_3.jpg

dean

deanglen

And thank you, RBH and Prairie Shade, for the life of me, I can't explain my fascination with this style of hat! I like fedoras. Thin ribbons. It's really a compulsion thing, these hats look like the children of a fedora and a cowboy hat to me and it's their uniqueness that appeals to me. Blah, blah, blah, I know.

dean

Dagwood

Practically Family
Who's that guy on the far right without his hat on? Must be some kind of trouble maker...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The Bloody Bucket!!

Cool! The Pennsylvania National Guard. My Pop, who was from Jamaica Long Island, served with the 28th (The Bloody Bucket) Infantry Division during the Korean War, serving as occupation forces over in Germany. The Insignia on their cover is a red keystone with a gold border. Very cool to see my Pops predassesors in the army. Now that would be a cool campaign hat to own. Thanks for that photo Dean!:eusa_clap
Now Dean, do you think you could drum up some images of Marines of that era with that cover on? Except that they would most likely have an EGA on the front. Now that would make some complete images for my Pop & I.

Cheers!

Dan

deanglen

DanielJones said:
Cool! The Pennsylvania National Guard. My Pop, who was from Jamaica Long Island, served with the 28th (The Bloody Bucket) Infantry Division during the Korean War, serving as occupation forces over in Germany. The Insignia on their cover is a red keystone with a gold border. Very cool to see my Pops predassesors in the army. Now that would be a cool campaign hat to own. Thanks for that photo Dean!:eusa_clap
Now Dean, do you think you could drum up some images of Marines of that era with that cover on? Except that they would most likely have an EGA on the front. Now that would make some complete images for my Pop & I.

Cheers!

Dan

Dan. coming right up:

cuba2.jpg

cuba.jpg

post-171-1174180190_edited.jpg

post-171-1174180190.jpg

That's all I have at this point...but I search constantly.

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Mounted Leggings?

They look taller than the Infantry Leggings (Leggins to me). Could they be Horse Marines?? That would be a collectors item wouldnt it? By the by, I have "rescued" several Stratton Campaign and Sheriff style hats that work up just fine when you add a yellow hat cord. Price on Ebay is usually right also. I just hope no other "collectors" wear 7 3/8!!!

deanglen

I wear 7 3/8. Don't find many in that size. Most seem small. Don't remember where that studio shot was taken, but your interpretation seemzs good, Prairie Shade.:)

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stratton Rescue Scociety Since 2006

Well, I have several in boxes in the basement. They have been "had" for 9.95 to 25 bucks. You may have to settle for Brown however. OD is a little scarce on the loose. Oklahoma HP uses the brown color and they make a pretty good cover. MY observation on all my hats is that the Stratton runs a bit big. I'm thinking about trying a 1/4 if anything else tempts me. I've left them out in the rain and sunshine to try and shrink mine even. NO SOAP !!If I could remember how to post pics I'd give you a sample. Wife still in Oregon, I'm still bored. She just called and the sun is shining in Oregon!!! 3 days of rain here, what's this deal??

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Dean, great pics! Being a Pennsylvania native, I really enjoyed that shot. When did the Army start wearing the distinctive insignia on their hats? I know they were between the wars, but I've never known when that practice began.

Dan, are you a former Marine, too?! Semper Fi! This would be an awesome cover to wear around, especially since I am now civil service at 29 Palms. I may have to hunt one of these up. Were they they same as the Army model? If so, I may finally have to break down and get one of Dirty Billy's. It may be tough to find a period accurate EGA, like this one:

USMCWWIEGA.jpg

This one is a WWI version, but I don't think they changed much between the 1868 version and the WWI version. I tracked down a decent one here: WORLD WAR TWO RATION TECHNOLOGIES.

ww1ega.jpg

I think the brassy color may be more accurate, though it may be just that the paint has worn off. Any idea hat the regulation on the cover device was pre-WWI?

Dean, I sure do enjoy all the pics you post, but it's gonna cost me some money!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Prairie Shade said:
Well, I have several in boxes in the basement. They have been "had" for 9.95 to 25 bucks. You may have to settle for Brown however. OD is a little scarce on the loose. Oklahoma HP uses the brown color and they make a pretty good cover. MY observation on all my hats is that the Stratton runs a bit big. I'm thinking about trying a 1/4 if anything else tempts me. I've left them out in the rain and sunshine to try and shrink mine even. NO SOAP !!If I could remember how to post pics I'd give you a sample. Wife still in Oregon, I'm still bored. She just called and the sun is shining in Oregon!!! 3 days of rain here, what's this deal??
PR, I've seen a few Strattons come and go on the 'bay, and have wondered about their quality. Are they a fur felt, a blend, or a wool felt? I worry about issue hats because often the departments buy lower quality wool felts to keep the costs to the officers down. Admirable, but I want a quality fur felt. This hat looks like it would make a fantastic repro campaign hat:

f42hrez.jpg

It comes in tan, grey, and olive, and it is available in a long oval, too.

deanglen

You guys make my day! It amazes me anyone else likes these hats. They make a nice option to a standard fedora collection, and the historical/military historical aspect clinches it for me. :D

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally