Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brookes Brother's 346 line

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
What I have seen is that the Brooks Brothers 346 ties are the same ties as the ones at their regular store just with a different tag. I have had a problem with them unraveling in the back where the tie is stitched closed or the tip wearing out earlier than my other ties.
It is just a Brooks Brothers issue.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I've purchased several ties from the Brooks Brothers store in San Marcos and they have faired very well. In fact, I wear them quite often and don't "baby" them.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I really do like some of Brooks ties. I think they have stuck with the same designs if not the same quality of materials for decades.

I think the number one contributing factor to the wear of my brooks ties is the fact that they were the ties I wore the most before I really started wearing vintage neckwear daily.
Every all silk tie gets a bit frayed after some time. there are places that will resew the tie so the tip does not show the wear. The stitching in the back is what usually comes undone because is is tacked in a flimsy manner. This is something that can be fixed easily. Other than those two items, I really haven't had other problems other than the food stains.

They still make my favourite modern tie.

A230_th.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Yeah, I pretty much stole all of my dad's ties when I started to get into vintage clothing. Most of them are Nautica around the 57" range, which is pretyt long on me. If I can get both ends to line up perfectly, I can get it to end just at my belt line, and that's using a half windsor knot! Yeah, I know. Drink some more milk haha.
Anyway, back on topic. My dad got me a few 346 ties, but not regular neckties. He got me 3 bow ties! I've only had them for 2 days, but they look really handsome, and I should probably start wearing them.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 346 line is Brooks' outlet line these days. My understanding is it used to be something of a higher end speciality line some years ago. I don't have any of the 346 ties, but they're probably fine. Look to see if they're made in the USA; Brooks has its own USA tie factory (in Brooklyn?). I've purposely avoided their 346 stuff just because I've been suspicious of it, but if the ties are USA made, their likely made in Brooks regular factory by the same people who make their other stuff. If that's the case then it's probably pretty much the same tie (probably less expensive silks) labelled with the 346 so they can sell it cheaper at the outlets. I would generally avoid another line of theirs, "Brooks Basics". I don't even know if they make it anymore, but I picked up a few of the Basics button downs at Marshall's a few years ago, and they're just not up to the level of the regular Brooks stuff.

As for Brooks regular line of ties in general, I quite like them. I probably have 6 or 8, including a bow tie. The bow tie is as well made as any I have. They make a lot of good, conservative designs. I do most of my tie shopping at thrift stores where you can regularly find Brooks ties in virtually new condition for a couple of bucks (not bow ties, though, alas). I use Brooks as my baseline for ties. I won't buy anything that retails cheaper generally (keeping in mind I'm only paying a couple of dollars for most of my ties anyway).

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
but if the ties are USA made, their likely made in Brooks regular factory by the same people who make their other stuff. If that's the case then it's probably pretty much the same tie (probably less expensive silks) labelled with the 346 so they can sell it cheaper at the outlets.

I purchased 3 for $89 at the Brooks Brothers outlet store in San Marcos, TX. While I was in the Brooks Brothers store on 346 Madison Ave., they had what appeared to be all the same ties including the one I was wearing in the store that day.

I wish I would have know about this sooner cause I would have dug a little deeper while in NYC.

Pyr.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
The Brooks Brother's 346 ties (as well as the rest of the 346 clothing line) is the outlet store line, but is made in the same place, with the same materials, and right along with the regular Brooks Brother's stuff. The 346 line is an article that might have some small defect (loose thread, irregular spot in the fabric weave, etc.), an overstock (each store is only allotted some many of on item), or is a discontinued style. Usually, the defects are not noticeable and are very, very small. However, these are items that Brooks Brothers does not feel they can sell in their regular retail stores, and therefore puts them in the outlets. These are simply items that didn't pass the final inspection. However, most of the items in the outlets are not flawed or defected, but the same item and quality you will find in the regular retail stores. This is why, Pyro, you saw the same ties in the New York store as you did in the San Marcos outlet. Probably the only difference you will find between the two ties would be the price.

BTW, all Brooks Brother's ties are made in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld