Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Britain building new steam locomotives

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
These are the first ones built in 50 years and will be put in service with all new safety features. They're full scale 4-6-2 steam engines, not toys. The media link on the web site will take you to several youtube videos. What a rush watching it pass, belching smoke, hissing steam, and having your eardrums pierced by the whistle.

http://a1steam.com

Nice... now if only we could rebuild the required technologies to do that here with the greats of our own history, like the NYC Hudson and Niagara, the UP Challenger and Big Boy, the C&O Allegheny... (okay, even another Pennsy K4 Pacific)

All we really have left is the NS and Union Pacific steam-program's maintenance shops, and Doyle (SP 4449) McCormack. A few of us around one of the New York Central boards were looking into the idea of scratchbuilding a fullsize J3a, and other than materials costs and somebody to forge the frame, the biggest problems were the countless "small parts" nobody thinks of--the feedwater heaters, injectors, power-stokers, turbogenerators and any of a zillion other little things that you don't see until you're either right up next to a locomotive, or inside its guts while it's taken apart for maintenance.

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Ice Chase
via FoxyTunes

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Tornado is gorgeous - even to a 'Midland man'.

Living near to Birmingham I was interested to drop in from time to time and see her under construction and was extremely pleased to see her return to her 'spiritual home' (for surely even brand-new steam 'locos' have spirit) at Tyseley Locomotive Works last week-end. A chance to climb all over her.

Not being that familiar with A-1s or the work of Peppercorn, I was fascinated by her design and construction details and, in particular the way in which modern systems had been integrated into the original 1940s design. Amazing to think that I was a young lad when this class were being built!

I recommend a trip behind her on the Torbay Express. This is surely one of the best railway journeys in the world (IMO). Here is an extract from the 'blurb':
Following her appearance at ‘Tyseley 101’ Tornado’s next main line trains will be her first time hauling the ‘Torbay Express’ from Bristol to Paignton and Kingswear (Paignton & Dartmouth Steam Railway) and return every Sunday for six weeks from 5th July to 9th August inclusive. The ‘Torbay Express’ is the perfect way to experience the true majesty and romance of steam, whisking its passengers across the flat Somerset levels to Taunton, charging through the Blackdown Hills and down the Exe Valley to Exeter, then alongside the sea-wall from Dawlish Warren to Teignmouth and finally through the delightful wooded estate once owned by Agatha Christie and down into the old riverside terminus station at Kingswear.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I work at a shop which maintains two steam locomotives. One is a 1928 Baldwin used to pull a few cars along a short line rail for tourists in Knoxville, TN.
The other is an 1895 engine which was displayed in Knoxville's Chilhowee Park for decades.
A lot of the "small stuff" is actually available new from China, as they were still building steam locomotives until recent years.

Story

I'll Lock Up
ron521 said:
A lot of the "small stuff" is actually available new from China, as they were still building steam locomotives until recent years.

I actually have (or had) some of their sales literature, they were hawking Baldwins. Umm... here, look at this -> http://www.railserve.com/jump/jump.cgi?ID=19406

Standard Gauge Locomotives

Multipower International, Inc. offers used and refurbished standard gauge steam locomotives for sale. We currently are one of the only dealers in the world to stock a number of SY (2-8-2), JS (2-8-2), and QJ (2-10-2) locomotives. You can buy as is or option for an overhaul. We are the only existing factory that have the facilities capable of COMPLETELY RESTORING existing SY, JS, and QJ class locomotives as well as rebuilding the boiler to meet your country's safety regulations and boiler codes.

http://www.railserve.com/jump/jump.cgi?ID=19406
Check out this 1925 advertisement, for locomotives being sold in the other direction.
http://chinarhyming.blogspot.com/2009/03/peking-mukden-line-and-baldwin.html

kampkatz

Practically Family
My wife and I took a ride behind a Canadian National 2-6-2 from Scranton to the Delaware Water Gap and back at the end of June. The engine only does this trip twice a year. Since the track is an active freight line the owner limited the speed to around 25mph(not an exciting ride). On the way back a diesel had to help out and eventually the 2-6-2 had to disengage to a siding due to overheating bearings. The diesel took us the remaining 15 miles back to Steamtown. The labor intensiveness required on these antiques makes it difficult to run them often. I hope the British 4-6-2 Pacific has many successful runs. Good luck.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
kampkatz said:
I hope the British 4-6-2 Pacific has many successful runs. Good luck.

I have been behind Tornado on the Torbay Express and she runs well. I think it is a tribute to her designers and (largely voluntary) builders that this first effort at resurrecting 50 year old steam locomotive technology has had so few 'teething troubles'.

However, I don't think she runs quite as well as some of the restored Pacifics that have been operating on Britain's railways for some time - my favourite being 6233 Duchess of Sutherland. Maybe it is that Tornado is a post-war design with some austerity features, while 6233 marks the height of pre-war locomotive design. Or maybe she just needs 'running in'. Or maybe it's just me, being a 'Midland Man'...

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I'm with DB...they need to build these...:)
IM000920.jpg

IM000938.jpg

Now...that's a train engine! ;)
Rob

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually the Big Boy and the Challenger are two engines in one. They have two sets of drivers, cylinders, etc., all under "one roof". At least specimens of those two both survive. It would be lovely to have a specimen of the NY Central 4-6-4 Hudson or the Hiawatha. The Hiawatha set a record of 127 mph at one point.
There are SO many complications involved in restoring things like steam trains and steam boats. It's not just the machine itself, but a whole environment needed to operate them in that needs to be maintained. And you need enough paying passengers.
The vexing thing about steam is that even today there are folks who would argue that steam should be an economically viable way to power trains. The Chinese still use them, and until very recently, I believe, they were common in India. The Norfolk & Western Railroad used them till 1958, and made them economical.
So tantalizing.
But this loco is truly an inspiring story. I hope I can see it live and in person some day.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
There are SO many complications involved in restoring things like steam trains and steam boats. It's not just the machine itself, but a whole environment needed to operate them in that needs to be maintained.

True. Weighing in at 540,000 pounds (and capable of only negotiating a 20-degree curve), the UP 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" would crush most domestic rail beds of today...
Rob
(Can you tell it's my favorite steam loco? :) )

Mike K.

One Too Many
The ol' Norfolk and Western "J" still occasionally runs the rails of Virginia. I think the Fedora Lounge should rent this beautiful engine and its historic passenger cars for a coast-to-coast adventure, stopping at all the great golden era sites of America.
N_W610.GIF

Professor

A-List Customer
Ghostsoldier said:
True. Weighing in at 540,000 pounds (and capable of only negotiating a 20-degree curve), the UP 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" would crush most domestic rail beds of today...
Rob
(Can you tell it's my favorite steam loco? :) )
The "Big Boys", much like Pennsylvania's GG1 electrics, were extraordinary purpose-built power for specific territory. Unfortunately they remain restricted, and unlikely to ever operate again. Not to mention, the "Big Boys" are incapable of consuming any fuel other than bituminous coal.

p51

One Too Many
Actually, they only built ONE of them and will not be building another. A couple of US groups are building their own 19th century engines, but nothing as ambitious as when these amazing Brtis did! This is one of the engines just completed in the US.
Ghostsoldier said:
I'm with DB...they need to build these...:)
IM000920.jpg
Now...that's a train engine! ;)
Actually, you’ll probably never see a UP 4000 restored to service due to curve restrictions. When the Norfolk Southern was still running N&W 1218 (a 2-6-6-4), they dropped wheels on the ground all the time negotiating curves in yards and going through “Wye” tracks that were built to accommodate diesels with no long frame issues. Southern RR used to derail often in the early days of the steam program in the 60s for the same reason. There’s also no way to turn a engine that large. The only turntables long enough on Union Pacific rails to take a 4-8-8-4 were removed some time back, maybe the one at Cheyenne yard might be able to turn one, but otherwise you’d never get it turned around.
Mike K. said:
The ol' Norfolk and Western "J" still occasionally runs the rails of Virginia.
Sorry, N&W 611’s fires were dropped in 1994 and hasn’t steamed since Norfolk Southern RR’s steam program was cancelled. Her boiler flues are out of time and needed shop time even then, so a major overhaul would be needed to get her back to steam today. It sits cold in a museum in Roanoke today and highly unlikely will ever steam again. I was lucky enough to see 611 under steam a few times back when they ran her.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
This, about the rumor of bringing a Big Boy back to life, and the complications of doing so....

This question comes up frequently. Many used to laugh at the question because it seemed so ridiculous. However, when the news of the proposed restoration of 4018 for a movie was announced back in 1998, some of us waited with hopeful anticipation. As it turned out, the news about restoring 4018 was only a proposal in its infancy and nothing ever materialized of it.

If one was to restore a Big Boy it would seem to make sense to start with the Big Boy that is in the best condition. At one time, this would have been 4023, currently at Kenefick Park, Omaha, NE. During the end of their careers both Challenger 3985 and Big Boy 4023 were rebuilt and placed in the Cheyenne UP roundhouse. However, 4023 was later placed on display in Omaha and the weather and environment has taken its toll on 4023. Currently, 4014, displayed in Pomona, CA has been kept in immaculate condition by the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society.

According to many sources, the UP is really not interested in running a coal-fired locomotive on their road any longer (the 3985 (4-6-6-4) was converted to oil in the late 1980's). Naturally, the next question one asks is "why not convert a Big Boy to burn oil?". This was tried back in the 1940s or 1950s on 4005 with a single burner, without success. It has been said that it is not feasible to fire a Big Boy with oil due to the nature of the firebox (which was designed for burning semi-bituminous coal from southern Wyoming) and boiler capacity. However, 3985 was converted to burn oil and its firebox is not all that different from that of the Big Boy's.

Steve Lee (head of UP's steam program) has also stated that it wouldn't make much sense for UP to restore a Big Boy, as there are only two places on the entire system that are large enough to turn a Big Boy, and those places are only a few miles apart. However, the Challenger is often turned using wyes which could also, almost certainly, handle a Big Boy.

Despite the obstacles of restoring and operating a Big Boy, with enough money, anything is possible.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

Speaking of steamers, check out this Shorpy photo:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6907?size=_original

Rob

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
All we really have left is the NS and Union Pacific steam-program's maintenance shops, and Doyle (SP 4449) McCormack.

Don’t forget the Michigan Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, caretakers of the famed Pere Marquette 1225.

-Dave

There's also the crew running NKP 765 out of Fort Wayne, but I was referring to shops that handle (or handled) multiple locomotives at a time.

NYC 3001 at Elkhart came back north because Conrail was talking about a steam program, only to have it die with the company VP who was trying to make it happen when he had a fatal heart-attack.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Sorry, N&W 611’s fires were dropped in 1994 and hasn’t steamed since Norfolk Southern RR’s steam program was cancelled. Her boiler flues are out of time and needed shop time even then, so a major overhaul would be needed to get her back to steam today. It sits cold in a museum in Roanoke today and highly unlikely will ever steam again. I was lucky enough to see 611 under steam a few times back when they ran her.

When I was a kid back in South Norfolk, Va. the J's were still in regular service. Tracks ran behind the houses across the street from us and they'd come through a couple of times a day at speed. Beautiful site to see and hear. I loved seeing them even as a kid. I've been to see 611 in Roanoke a couple of times and have a picture I took of her hanging in the hall at home. To my eyes one of the most beautiful steam engines ever built.

I don't have the details on this but I had seen a video that was part of a collection on National Parks. The one video was about trains and National Parks. In it they had some info on a company that was putting together some excursions on their line and needed another steam locomotive. They looked and could not find any that they could afford to get and restore. Then one of the members got some information on a Locomotive plant in China from an article I think in National Geographic. They were able to contact the plant and got a new engine from them. I think it was the last one that plant made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe