Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brill G-1 questions

newsboy

New in Town
Just picked up a 1970 Brill Bros. I know you Loungers can give me some info on this:

What type of leather? Were they still using goat? Cow?
Synthetic collar?
What series is this considered?
Any other info would be appreciated.

Jacket's in great shape for being 39 yrs old, the waist knit is a little stretched, but I remember this happening quite frequently back in the '80s when I was in the air wing.

Peacoat

Bartender
I would have thought that some of the G-1 experts would have answered your questions by now. Since they haven't, I will give it a go. I believe the 1970 model was still the D series, and was goat. The pressed cowhide--made to look like goat--was still a bit in the future--maybe 1974?

If you know it is a Brill Brothers, then it probably has a tag that will tell you the series, which is embedded in the spec number. The below tag is a Star "C" series. The C series ended in about 1966.

I hope this has been of help to you, and maybe the ones who know G-1s will correct me if I have given you erroneous information.

1674_12.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have a jacket exactly like yours, except mine is a size 48. It is one of my most worn G-1s.

Peacoat is exactly right---yours is a late D-series jacket. It is made from goatskin leather and it has a Dynal collar. Embossed cowhide was not specified until the E-series jackets which began in 1972. Even then, many E-series G-1s continued to be made from goatskin as the specs called for either goat or cow.

This is my 1970 Brill.

carolinagame024.jpg

AF

AARP

Familiar Face
Now that his case is solved, I wonder if you guys can help me identify my G-1. I bought this online believing (As was described) that it was a Lost Worlds repo, but have reason to have my doubts upon receiving it. My major concern is that it has no LW tag and seems to be in a worn condition (usually repos are quite supple). The only 2 tags are this one and one that says made in the USA:
2lk7dc0.jpg

(Bureau of Aeronautics, USN Flight Jacket, Intermediate, G-1 Specification MIL-J-7823 (AER , J.A. Dubow Sporting Goods Corp Contract No. N383S-47654

Here's a pic of the jacket:
2i1d1qt.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
The tag indicates an early G-1. If so, I would expect to see a lot more wear to the jacket, with the knits in worse shape than they are in, and a reddish hue to the collar. I don't know the first thing about the reproductions, or what tags may have been used, but I'm sure many here know that information. I would think you have what was advertised: a reproduction and not an original.

Maverickson

Familiar Face
newsboy said:
Just picked up a 1970 Brill Bros. I know you Loungers can give me some info on this:

What type of leather? Were they still using goat? Cow?
Synthetic collar?
What series is this considered?
Any other info would be appreciated.

Jacket's in great shape for being 39 yrs old, the waist knit is a little stretched, but I remember this happening quite frequently back in the '80s when I was in the air wing.

Hi newsboy,

Fairly recently I cam across G-1 in a large sized 46 with generous proportions. This jacket was a D model made by Brill. According to the nomenclature on it's label it appeared to have been made in 1970.

Besides being nearly in nearly unworn condition it was an extremely heavy jacket. The collar was a very dark brown mouton which was in fact faux material. Because of what I considered to be extra heavy jacket I often wondered if the jacket was cow or goathide. Later, while going over the jacket I discovered a hang tag in one of the pockets. That tag read "Made of Genuine Steerhide".

Cheers, Dave

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
it's not a Lost Worlds...

...it's a small world.

couldn't resist.

p.s. and finch, i want your jacket. 48's are impossible to find. or nearly so as you prove.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
johnnyjohnny said:
...it's a small world.

couldn't resist.

p.s. and finch, i want your jacket. 48's are impossible to find. or nearly so as you prove.

I still run across size 48 E-series G-1s, and even the occasional size 48 D-series jacket...but size 48 C-series and earlier G-1s...now they're rare birds, indeed.

AF

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"it's not a Lost Worlds..."

uhhh, i wasn't saying it was not a lost world's made jacket...i was joking...uh, lost world/small world, you both owned the same jacket? small world after all?

it is, indeed, a small world.

or crazy one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld