Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Martora

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This ended while I was at my piano lesson, but I stuck a bid in before I left, and ended up winning it for 12 bucks shipped. Of the three from this seller, all of which I bid on, this was my least favorite, but it was the only one that didn't get bid up. Kind of bizarre style, I guess we'll see once it gets here.

According to the net, a Martora is a pine marten. This should be some interesting felt.
f047_1.jpg

f073_1.jpg

f0ed_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- it's not often '20s or '30s borsalinos come up on the market, and that Peschel was gorgeous.

Also says on the net that pine martin fur is some of the finest around. This could be good. Can't make out the brim treatment.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, Now there's something you don't see everyday. If I'm not mistaken, that style was popular with priests. If you decide not to keep it, you might have some interest, here. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
We'll see, but I have a distinct feeling this one's going to be a keeper.

Doing a little more digging, the pine marten is related/ also known as? the American Sable, which is used in some new cowboy hats, like the Bailey 200x Black Russian

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:D
J.T.Marcus said:
Dinerman, Now there's something you don't see everyday. If I'm not mistaken, that style was popular with priests. If you decide not to keep it, you might have some interest, here. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
My 1st thought was Father Guido Sarduchi (SNL) :D

J.B.

Practically Family
Wow! It's Heavenly!

Definitely looks like a "civilian-style" rendering of the Saturno -- a cleric fave named for that planet's rings appearance... (It seems to be big in red?!) [angel]

benedictsaturnobe4.jpg

BTW, the Saturno was the evolution of an even earlier brimless number known as the Camauro...

benedictcamaurogl7.jpg

...But I would bet that despite its somewhat esoteric appearance -- when you get it, this hat will most likely be one of the most beautiful examples of felting ever to grace this forum! JMHO. Congratulations, Dinerman!!!

hatflick1

Practically Family
Check out a website called, I believe: Dirtybilly's. They are located in Gettsyburg and make Civil War reenactment uniforms and civilian clothes from the period. Your hat looks rather like what's called a Beehive. Apparently, it was quite popular in the day.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It came today. And it's... interesting.

Scotrace- you're half right about it.

It started out as a mens hat. Nice tall crown, the works.

At some point, someone must have taken it to their local hat shop (I say this because the work is very nicely done) and had it converted to a womens hat. They cut the crown and moved the top bit down inside the brim bit, lowering the crown a good inch and a half. They cut the liner (with the zigzag shears they use to cut pants when you get them hemmed) to make it lower so that it conformed to the new lower crown. Sewed the whole thing all the way around. Then, they took the original ribbon and turned it around so it's on the ladies side.
All this brought the size down from a size 6 (7-3/8) to about a 7-1/8.

I may try to pick the stitches out, backpatch the seam, and put the ribbon back on the right way. I figure I have so little invested in it, and it's unwearable as is, I might as well give it a shot to make it something I could wear, even if just as a very nice knockabout hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got the stitching out. I now have a beautiful borsalino visor and skullcap. It looks like they cut away a big strip of felt, because the two halves don't line up anywhere, and the crown's still pretty low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust