Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Is anyone else enjoying Stephen Root as the greedy suave Gaston Means? Stephen is a recognizable character actor and great in this role. Hope he sticks around for a while.

Well, I am, for one. I find that character about the best thing this show has going for it. The lines they craft for him are very funny, very witty. And if there's an actor who might be better for the part, I surely can't think of who that is.

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Well, I am, for one. I find that character about the best thing this show has going for it. The lines they craft for him are very funny, very witty. And if there's an actor who might be better for the part, I surely can't think of who that is.

Agreed...he is the most cleverly written character on TV and an incredible actor with great delivery.

Dave

No, he's great. I like a lot of the characters, but not Rosetti, not Marge, not what's her name :)They are characters too - which you find lacking in many shows. Very witty writing for some of them. Overall, it's really a fantastic show for me. Ending on a high note as there was a couple episodes that were a little dull for sure.

Rosetti hitting that fellow with the shovel,( eleven times).
Reminded me of Deniro in The Untouchables when hit wacked the other mobster with the baseball bat at the table.
Best regards
CCJ

Rosetti hitting that fellow with the shovel,( eleven times).
Reminded me of Deniro in The Untouchables when hit wacked the other mobster with the baseball bat at the table.
Best regards
CCJ

Reminded me of the way I felt the morning (or was it afternoon?) after my high school graduation.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I love all the theories flying around about the outcome of season 3. It started slow, but boy is it heating up now.

Extrapolating from history we know:

Nucky Thompson (known to history as Enoch "Nucky" Johnson), lived until 1968, and remained a behind the scenes power broker in the New Jersey Republican Party, after eventually serving a Federal sentence for income tax evasion.
Giuseppe "Joe the Boss" Masseria was shot to death while eating dinner in a Coney Island restaurant in 1931.
Mickey Doyle (known to history as William Michael Cusick, aka Michael "Mickey" Duffy, aka John Murphy, aka George McEwen) was murdered by parties unknown in 1931 while staying in an Atlantic City hotel.
John "Papa Johnny" Torrio, aka the Fox, lived to be 75, dieing of natural causes in 1957.
George Remus served prison sentence for multiple violations of the Volstead Act, beat a murder charge with a not guilty by reason of temporary insanity plea, and lived a quite life there after, dieing of natural causes in 1952.
Arnold "the Brain" Rothstein was shot in the Park Central Hotel in NYC (apparently over failing to make good on a gambling debt) and later died of his wounds. His last words, when asked by police who shot him, are alternatively reported to be, "Your mother did it" or "You stick to your trade. I'll stick to mine."
Gaston Bullock Means died of natural causes in prison while serving a Federal sentence for grand larceny (the Wikipedia page about that guy is almost too good to believe!).

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know in one doc that I saw, the show creators say that their Nucky is a work of fiction so as not to follow Nucky Johnson's life story.
I never knew Mickey Doyle was based on a real guy!
Interesting!!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I know in one doc that I saw, the show creators say that their Nucky is a work of fiction so as not to follow Nucky Johnson's life story.
I never knew Mickey Doyle was based on a real guy!
Interesting!!

... yeah, but there is so much similarity between Nucky Johnson and Nucky Thomson that I think it's fair to say that the show's creators use that line to give artistic license for deviating from specific details.

Enoch Johnson was the County Treasurer of Atlantic County, N.J., he had previously served as Sheriff and Undersheriff (in alternating terms with relatives, so as to avoid term limits), he was a widower with an affinity for for showgirls, he had a German valet/chauffeur, he wrestled political control from another behind the scenes Republican Party power broker called "the Commodore" ... the list really goes on and on.

Here is the real Micky Doyle, Mickey Duffy. I suspect he was much less of a putz in real life ...

DuffyMugShot.jpg

Last edited:
I concur with Guttersnipe's take on this -- the gist of it, at any rate. Sure, some of the characters are fictional, but they're based on people with the very same names. So while much of their story as portrayed on the show is whole-cloth fabrication, I doubt the writers would kill off a character in 1920-something whose real-life counterpart lived to 1950- or '60-something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe