Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black jacket with brown undertones?

Desmond007

Familiar Face
What are the name of some black leathers, that develop brownish undertones
in time? I would really like a Vicenza Black, but I have no idea if this kind of
leather develops the patina/brownish undertones/basecolor i'm looking for?

Thanks

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'd ask the jacket company you're considering if they have any black over brown leathers. Diamond Dave sure has a few great "tea-core" leathers. I'd shoot him a mail if I were you.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Aero's Horween CXL FQHH or steer hide. Vicenza is tanned differently.
HD

From Aeros webpage. Which ones would be the right choise? I must order me some samples...

Black Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide

Black Front Quarter Vintage Tumbled Chromexcel Horsehide

Brown Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide

Brown Front Quarter Vintage Tumbled Chromexcel Horsehide

Cordovan Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide

Cordovan Front Quarter Tumbled Chromexcel Horsehide

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Same/similar...Aero's Horween black cxl steer hide, or perhaps DD offers black tea core steer.

Damn...Aero doesnt have the Sheene jacket. Does Chromexcel Steerhide from Thurston develop a brown base?

Maybe it' s easier just to write them at Thurston...

Damn...Aero doesnt have the Sheene jacket. Does Chromexcel Steerhide from Thurston develop a brown base?

Maybe it' s easier just to write them at Thurston...

The Sheene is made by Aero for Thurston Bros, but you can also order it directly through Aero (it's just not listed on Aero's website). TB gets their Aero jackets directly from Aero with the same hides that Aero uses.
HD

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Shinki "tea core" is a black HH with a brown core -- over time, the brown core will show through.[/QUOTE

I think I'm going for steer. I think horse will be to stiff for me, since I need a jacket that is somewhat soft and free to move around in, but still something that will give you a good positure. Dont how the different hides feel like wearing though, so thats my next priority.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Just found Diamond Daves J-100.
I want one. It's perfect. By the looks of it anyways. I still dont know if horse will be to stiff for me.

Edward

Bartender
The Horween American Bison; great grain too. Thick hide, substantial, great grain. Mine has a bit of wear on the colour (after eighteen months) where i carry a bag; it's an almost coppery colour where the wear is.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's taken a long time for the tea core to come through on my Shinki, even the it's on the zip and collar areas. Might be that the particular hides used on my jacket had a 'sticky' top coat.

wdw

One Too Many
I got a black Aero FQHH jacket a couple of years ago that came from a batch which showed the brown underlayer relatively quickly. I quite like it now as it does seem to have aged quicker than might be expected. I don't know if they still do this though, as the two black jackets I've had since then have been more solid blacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe