Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black and White and Graphic All Over: A 1930s Tale of Race, Passing and Pain

Story

I'll Lock Up
I'm at a loss for where to post this, but the idea behind this graphic novel seems to be perfect fodder for a movie.

A black journalist preparing to pass as white in “Incognegro,” written by Mat Johnson and illustrated by Warren Pleece.
Incog600.jpg

By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES
Published: March 3, 2008

Zane Pinchback, a reporter for The New Holland Herald of New York, is a black man who can pass for white. Zane uses this ability to go undercover to investigate lynchings in the 1930s South. “Identity is open-ended,” he proclaims. “Why have just one?” That belief is a theme that comes up in unexpected ways in this engrossing graphic novel, with its smart dialogue and sharp images.

Complete review at
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/books/03gust.html?em&ex=1204693200&en=d2e430696bf0c725&ei=5087

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fascinatng stuff! As hinted at in the review, this story has a basis in reality -- Walter White, an African-American able to pass for white, did exactly this in 1919, going undercover for the Chicago Daily News to investigate a series of race riots in Arkansas. White would go on to become the National Secretary of the NAACP.

m-5972.jpg

Walter F. White

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh cool.

This topic has always fascinated me and Im curious to see its graphic novel treatment.

I may have to pick up a copy.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe