Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK A-2. *w/pictures

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hello all,

I received my new BK Roughwear yesterday.
Some insights:
-The shipping from Greece to California was 10 days! I expected to wait 2-3 weeks, but it arrived faster than expected. From time of order, I had the A-2 in about 25 days. Not bad.
- The color: amazing. It's not a tan colored russet by any means. I would say medium brown with a bit of red untertone. It definitely looks redder than any seal/medium brown jackets I have. I was pleasantly surprised by this, as the pictures online I have seen posted by others do not represent the color well. When I first looked at it, I thought of John Wayne's "Flying Tigers" movie for some reason; kind of brought this nostalgic feeling which was cool.
-The details/construction: very good throughout. The olive drab stitching is nice. It's nice to know it's there, but is a minor detail compared to the overall color of the leather.
-The fit: I would say that you do not need to go a size smaller than what you normally wear. The fit has the "wartime look", even though it is agreed upon that the fit in WWII was all over the place. Coming from a jacket with modern-day sized armholes, the high/tight armholes are somewhat of a shock to me. I need to get used to this. I would say that currently, it is not uncomfortable, but not comfortable. I do feel like the armholes are digging into my armpits a bit. This is the only drawback I can see (personally, not a thing said bad against the jacket). I hope I get used to this, but even if not, the jacket is too beautiful to part with.
-Bill Kelso has my utmost compliments.
a-2frontfull.jpg

a-2back.jpg

a-2front.jpg

a-2frontfull2.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Generally, when I've had suits made for me, they've come with high armholes which are always a bit uncomfortable at first- it's just that sense of the jacket 'being there' and the new-ness of the fabric, which you don't get with a suit that's off the peg. But after a week or so, they stretch a little and become like a second skin.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Generally, when I've had suits made for me, they've come with high armholes which are always a bit uncomfortable at first- it's just that sense of the jacket 'being there' and the new-ness of the fabric, which you don't get with a suit that's off the peg. But after a week or so, they stretch a little and become like a second skin.

Good to hear, and thanks! For as much as I've perused this forum, the vintage vs. modern-cut armholes is a new phenomenon to me. It's probably like FQHH. You have to "try it" to understand it I guess.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. I read in another forum that the time from order to receipt is around a month. I put in my order about 2 weeks ago and I am waiting for mine. Hope it will arrive before Christmas. Which one did you order? The house or original contract?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nice. I read in another forum that the time from order to receipt is around a month. I put in my order about 2 weeks ago and I am waiting for mine. Hope it will arrive before Christmas. Which one did you order? The house or original contract?

I ordered the Roughwear 23380 in russet, size 40, with some extra length in the body and sleeves. Good luck!

majormajor

One Too Many
Re the armholes, I think you will find that a couple of weeks will break the jacket in, and comfort should follow. The acid test with a "wartime fit" is whether the back is broad enough for, say, driving. You risk splitting the seams if it is too tight.

For future ref, if you don't like tight armholes, steer clear of some Japan repro Denim jackets. I've had two, a Lee & a Levi's, both with unfeasibly tight armholes, and they don't get better with wear!;)

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Re the armholes, I think you will find that a couple of weeks will break the jacket in, and comfort should follow. The acid test with a "wartime fit" is whether the back is broad enough for, say, driving. You risk splitting the seams if it is too tight.

For future ref, if you don't like tight armholes, steer clear of some Japan repro Denim jackets. I've had two, a Lee & a Levi's, both with unfeasibly tight armholes, and they don't get better with wear!;)

Yeah, the seams splitting is a worry. I guess if they do, I have Johnson Leathers in my backyard. Thanks for the denim jacket tip btw.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I tried something tonight-wearing the A-2 with a light flannel on. It makes a good deal of a difference. I still feel a bit of tightness in the armpits, but I think I know what was going on. The sleeves on my t-shirts weren't fully going into the jacket armholes.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I tried something tonight-wearing the A-2 with a light flannel on. It makes a good deal of a difference. I still feel a bit of tightness in the armpits, but I think I know what was going on. The sleeves on my t-shirts weren't fully going into the jacket armholes.

I also have a BK House A-2. It is a great jacket and the higher armholes really make it look custom made.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Fortunately, it is raining pretty heavily in Northern California. Break-in time. Slept in it last night.I have a feeling that this is going to become a comfortable jacket. My only concern is that I am still having a hard time getting my t-shirt sleeves comfortably through the armholes. The sleeves of my t-shirt kind of twist and bunch up in the jacket instead of gliding through the armholes, which is a bit annoying. Spent about 10 minutes in the mirror today eyeing it, lol.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My first A-2 was a vintage Perry Sportswear 23377 in a size 40 (it was possibly closer to a vintage 42). I could get into the jacket, but suffered for months with tight armholes, cutting circulation. It was a beautiful jacket (excellent well patinated goatskin shell, lining in great condition, smooth Conmar zipper) and I stuck with it for much longer than I should have. It took me a while to realize that I'm really a vintage 44 - I've had multiple examples of the same contract (and the corresponding Perry in horsehide) and when the size it right there is no binding of the armholes.
I can understand your reluctance to part with it (my 23377 was the same), but it looks like the lower torso is fine, but the shoulders/chest look tight. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to sell on while in excellent condition and stipulate a slightly wider chest/more open armholes. The wearing experience shouldn't be uncomfortable.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Great A-2! I am not familiar with the manufacturer and noticed that prices are in Euros. then you were writing that it was sent from Greece. Are these A-2´s made in Greece? :confused:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Oh, thank you for the quick reply! Greece is good for me - no additional customs duties to pay. Maybe I should give them a try....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82