Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best time to go outside in the sun and who uses an umbrella when it's sunny?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
The hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Daylight Saving Time (9 a.m. to 3 p.m. standard time) are the most hazardous for UV exposure outdoors in the continental United States. UV rays from sunlight are the greatest during the late spring and early summer in North America.

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/prevention.htm

ATM, I'm to poor to afford my first hat (Fed IV in moonstone =D). I'm currently using an umbrella when I go outside.

Anyone else here use an umbrella when it's really sunny?

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I used to bring a golf umbrella for frequent breaks from the sun while bass fishing in my friend's boat. He used to look at me, shake his head and mumble, "I can't believe I'm stuck bass fishing with Mary Poppins." LOL!

Andy

Edward

Bartender
Not done it myself, but I see it a lot when I'm teaching in China. Girls out there, mainly; the beauty standard out there is to be as pale as possible. It's a sensible idea. Any sign of tanning is a sign of skin damage.

We have a large umbrella over our deck patio table since it is often in direct sunlight..but..do you really mean a guy walking around with an individual parasol..?? Never done it..or seen anyone doing it where I'm located. Here it would seem very odd....

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Anyone else here use an umbrella when it's really sunny?

Nope, no umbrella for either rain or shine, a wide brimmed hat is usually enough to protect me from both but I don't think an umbrella or parasol has sufficient UV protection anyway,they provide shade that is all. However a hat & parasol combo has got to be a winner :rolleyes:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nope, no umbrella for either rain or shine, a wide brimmed hat is usually enough to protect me from both but I don't think an umbrella or parasol has sufficient UV protection anyway,they provide shade that is all. However a hat & parasol combo has got to be a winner :rolleyes:

"Pretty in Pink!"

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
I actually saw someone over the weekend using an umbrella as a parasol. I actually see several Asian ladies using parasols around here. But for me, I use my Montecristi with a wide brim. It's good for the sun as well as sitting inside a cantina underneath a fan. That's where you should spend your time on sunny days. Minimal UV issues there. What is the old adage, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun."

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Edward is right. Here in China, nearly every woman is carrying an umbrella on sunny days. They will also wear removable sleeves with a tank top and I've seen pictures of women wearing masks to protect their faces at the beach. Pale is the pinnacle of female beauty here.

I always have a hat when I'm outside. On sunny days, it's usually my Optimo milan, which has a 3-inch brim all around. It's pretty good protection and relatively cool, although it would still be a stingy to Joao. One of his westerns would be a great source of shade and safety in the sun.

Adrian, the Fed IV is a fab hat. You will enjoy it. But in the meantime, you ought to pick up a straw hat. You can find them in many styles and brim widths, t garden shops, seed & feed stores, or at retailers like Target. At most of these places, they won't cost much more than an umbrella.

Granted, they won't look as stylish as some of the panamas and boaters on the Lounge. But they will be more stylish and less cumbersome than an umbrella.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Edward is right. Here in China, nearly every woman is carrying an umbrella on sunny days. They will also wear removable sleeves with a tank top and I've seen pictures of women wearing masks to protect their faces at the beach. Pale is the pinnacle of female beauty here.

I always have a hat when I'm outside. On sunny days, it's usually my Optimo milan, which has a 3-inch brim all around. It's pretty good protection and relatively cool, although it would still be a stingy to Joao. One of his westerns would be a great source of shade and safety in the sun.

Adrian, the Fed IV is a fab hat. You will enjoy it. But in the meantime, you ought to pick up a straw hat. You can find them in many styles and brim widths, t garden shops, seed & feed stores, or at retailers like Target. At most of these places, they won't cost much more than an umbrella.

Granted, they won't look as stylish as some of the panamas and boaters on the Lounge. But they will be more stylish and less cumbersome than an umbrella.

Thanks, but I don't think a straw from Target will provide any sun protection at all. I don't spend much time outside anyways. I usually go out during the evening, I want to keep my Filipino skin pale ish =).

At the moment, I'm more worried about function. I can't wear my ushanka until at least -10 degree Celsius which only happens 3 months of the year =(. The reason why I want the FED IV is for an all season hat for both hot and cold, and of course style!

Btw, I managed to score a high quality black cap toe for $15 at my local thrift store.

I don't use an umbrella even when it rains; they're more of a hassle than they're worth in my opinion. And now that I'm older, have back problems, and often use a cane, an umbrella would occupy my "free" hand and render me even more useless than usual. :D

Gromulus

Practically Family
While I would (and do) wear a hat instead of using an umbrella when it rains, a man using an umbrella (parasol) to ward off the sun would be asking for some "unwanted" attention in most areas. Evan in my biggest and baddest days I wouldn't go that route.

Rodney

Familiar Face
Excellent topic. I have melanoma. I've been fighting it since March 2011. I never wore a hat before, now I do every time I leave the house. I have a wide brimmed hat made especially for keeping the sun off. The brand is Sundayafternoons. It's a darned ugly hat compared to the classic fedoras I see here but it does it's job quite well. I also wear a long sleave shirt and sunscreen on sunny days and stay in the shade as much as I can.

Melanoma and skin cancer in general is no joke. Take precautions on really sunny days and get any new funny looking spots that don't go away checked by your doctor.
Rodney

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Excellent topic. I have melanoma. I've been fighting it since March 2011. I never wore a hat before, now I do every time I leave the house. I have a wide brimmed hat made especially for keeping the sun off. The brand is Sundayafternoons. It's a darned ugly hat compared to the classic fedoras I see here but it does it's job quite well. I also wear a long sleave shirt and sunscreen on sunny days and stay in the shade as much as I can.

Melanoma and skin cancer in general is no joke. Take precautions on really sunny days and get any new funny looking spots that don't go away checked by your doctor.
Rodney

Heartfelt advice much appreciated! Thx.

The Good

Call Me a Cab

Brilliant! Why not bring both, for the added protection, just like Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? :)

Well, I get by with just a hat, if the brim is wide enough. I think for a brim to cover the ears at all, it should be a little wider than 2 inches. I have a hat with a 2 1/8" brim that does cover my ears just enough.

I think from around 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM is around the range the sun has the most effect on the skin. The earlier morning and later evening hours should be fine for spending a considerable amount of time outdoors without a hat.

Last edited:

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Obviously I wear a hat in sunny weather (I say 'obviously' as I'm on this forum, aren't I?) but I'm surprised at how few mentions of sunscreen there are on this thread. The lower face and arms are vulnerable, and I always carry a bottle of 50+ if I'm going to be spending the day watching cricket etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe