Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Sheepskin Bomber? Do not need reproduction model

mrrosenthal

New in Town
Hi,
I'm looking for an awesome sheepskin bomber that looks great and keeps me warm. I liked the schott sheepskin bomber but it didn't fit great. Looking for good thick leather and thick comfortable sheep fur. Am not interested in paying for reproduction or accuracy but rather just want a jacket that looks stylish and warm. Prefer a slimmer fit. I'm 175 5'11 Thanks

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Best go for an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin then, the only accurate thing about it is the name. Well made good quality jacket, not wartime accurate and not in the same price league as Eastmans etc. Advice though is to try one on, or any maker really

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If you are after sheepskin jackets which are non-repro yet classic golden era inspired you might do well to have a look at Cirrus: http://www.cirrusuk.co.uk/ , they've been around for a long time and make high quality, non mil-spec offerings.

Saying that, there are so many different model mil-spec sheepskin jackets available that there should be something to fit the bill.

One thing I would say with sheepskin is buy the best quality that you possibly can. Because of the intrinsic nature of sheepskin, shoddy, low quality jackets made with inferior sheepskin have a tendency to fall apart or "moult" quickly.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the B6 is a good suggestion, an Irvin might be a bit heavy for Shanghai as I don't think the temperatures really drop far beneath freezing. Equal amounts of choice for those as well, and they come with pockets as standard.

mrrosenthal

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. Between the Irvin and the B6, which is more stylish. Which one is warmer? Both are important.
Also, I don't need anything military/reproduction. Just a jacket that looks good. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Between the Irvin and the B6, which is more stylish. Which one is warmer? Both are important.
Also, I don't need anything military/reproduction. Just a jacket that looks good. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Well the B6 style has a more tailored trim shape. The Irvin is warmer and heavier..but in fact can be sweltering in most circumstances.
HD

Brimster

New in Town
I would advise that you go for the B6 as it has a slimmer fit than an Irvin. If you do opt for an Irvin you may well find that the jacket is too warm to wear comfortably.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Have a look on the dreaded 'Bay' for anything in the style you want. Many of the premium quality jackets often come up with the description "Hardly Worn" "As New" "Unwanted gift". You may get a top quality jacket for a lot less than you would pay for a new item, that is basically new.

I had my LongShoreMan for about 5 years before I got my B-6. Wore the LSM in coldest Indiana winter..but after receiving the B-6 I moved the LongShoreMan on. The B-6 was just so much softer and comfortable to wear. Doesn't stiffen up out in the cold as the heavy HH and is actually warmer with the full shearling. Versatile too. If extremely cold..layering under the sheepskin solves that problem...although I've never found much need to do it or over do it. Long underwear top and flannel shirt at the most is all I've ever needed. The B-6 or D-1 weight of shearling is quite warm..unless you are stranded outside during a blizzard with no shelter. Then the heavier Irvin or B-3 serves that purpose better.
HD

Stand By

One Too Many
Well that's very good to know, HD. I've always wondered how one would rate compared to my B-6. I still think it looks mighty fine to me, though and a worthy contender for Winter.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had my LongShoreMan for about 5 years before I got my B-6. Wore the LSM in coldest Indiana winter..but after receiving the B-6 I moved the LongShoreMan on.
HD

I'm impressed you stuck it out 5 years with the sheeplined HH LSM. I had one for about 3 weeks and felt I might tear a rotator cuff just putting it on let alone trying to turn the steering wheel. AND--it was a broken-in jacket (by someone else). Thick leathers with thick linings in short jackets just don't do it for me anymore (old tendons). About as Michelin-Man as I get these days is the LW Suburban Sheepskin. I got rid of every other sheeplined jacket I had that wasn't all shearling. Whether goat, steer, or horse. None of them, in the end, was worth the hassle. So if you have to have a sheepskin lining, go for the sheepskin leather/outer as well, whether B-6 or anything else.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
D1 sheepskin's are a winner IMHO. Mine ELC (quarter inch shearling) , light, warm, comfortable & has pockets for your phone & wallet. Gets more use than my Irvin in the UK climate.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Or if you want a bomb proof jacket, weather-wise, can I suggest a Thunder Bay? Belted at the bottom, shearling-lined, mouton collar and covered in FQHH.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I'd be looking in one of two directions.... either a sheepskin-lined Aero, or the likes of ALC/Cirrus. Aero will now do any of their jackets with a sheepskin lining at £100 upcharge; I presume this means you could have a mid-weight horse, or a goathide, with that lining. Much more resistant to damage than sheepskin on an Irvin (though to be fair I've had no tears in four years with my ELC Irvin, aside from the surface coming off the elbow when one of the cats sicked up a hairball on it....). Not the cheap way of doing this, however...

Both Aviation Leathercraft and Cirrus do some nice civilian jackets that will do the job you're after. The best bargains on these are to be had buying used, as they simply don't have the resale value of the military repro stuff. Last I looked on eBay, mint Cirrus jackets were selling used for £100-£200 less than a second-hand ELC. The non-Irvin models especially sell cheaper. Now is the time to be looking for those in the Northern Hemisphere - these jackets always go for a bit less out of season.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The "Thunderbay" by Aero is a good compromise.... I got a size 50 on sale at the tail end of last winter. I've not had time to put her to the test, single digits with wind chill, but I will. I've a range of Sheepskin or lined jackets... Thunderbay, Alexander D1, vintage Canadian Barnstormer and an Aero Irvin. The D1 served me well most days below freezing but when the Polar Vortices reared their ugly heads... Barnstormer or Irvin all the way. I've a Goodwear B6 on order and might get one more Barnstormer but that'll be custom made.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe