Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Good Wear A2 Model

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Before everyone jumps all over me, I know this is all a matter of opinion, but I'm going to pose the question any way, which is the best (in your opinion) and why Good Wear Horse Hide A2 jacket?

Thanks for you reresponses

'38 Aero.
Because I say so lol
I've changed my mind 4x. I bet you will too. They are all that good. Being serious, read the "about" for every single jacket. It helps, as do the pics. Go with your heart and soul.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Best horsehide: Perry Sportswear 16175-P (detailing is, as ever, superb), but best GW A-2 IMHO is actually in goat - the David D Doniger pattern. It's such a classy silhouette.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is all about personal taste. The best GW A2 IMO is the Doniger in terms of style! As far as hh jackets are concerned the Dubow 27798 is a superb jacket as is the Monarch.

D

Deleted member 16736

Figure out how you want it to fit and what kind of leather you want and let John guide you. Remember, all A-2s may look the same, but they don't all fit the same. The Aero is a snug fit; the Dubow a loose one. All depends on what you want. Generally, Roughwear and Dubow are loose-fitting A-2s, while Broncos and Werbers fit more snugly. Even within a manufacturer the fit can vary. For instance, the 38 Aero is a snugger fit than later Aeros.

Last edited by a moderator:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Original Dubows were a trim fit and all the original size 44 Broncos I have seen tend to be larger than many other similar contracts.

Peacoat

Bartender
I second what Joel S. said. When you send John the measurements of a jacket that fits you, he will know which pattern will be best for your body type. He also will send out a test jacket, and you can make some changes based on the standard fit.

D

Deleted member 16736

Original Dubows were a trim fit and all the original size 44 Broncos I have seen tend to be larger than many other similar contracts.

My Dubow was very saggy around the middle. The Werber is definitely a trimmer cut.

D

Deleted member 16736

My GW Dubow is certainly not like this at all and is exactly like the original size 44 I own. The Werber was certainly a trim fitting jacket.

John chose to "upsize" mine because of the tight torso and I wound up with baggy shoulders and a sloppy middle, but it was a gorgeous jacket. The Werber is more what I'm after anyway: trim and athletic with snug shoulders.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The button down pockets and top stitched cuffs appeal to me. Fine transition between the A-1 and the early contract A-2s.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
John has sourced some new capeskin and is taking orders for A-1s. You'd have to ask him directly about capeskin for A-2 orders. It's comparatively harder to come by than other hides (and available in smaller quantities) so might be reserved for A-1 orders - worth a call.
I've had an original capeskin A-2 in the past and I have an AN-J-3 in the same hide - it's very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe