Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Borsalino ever, trial by fire!

havershaw

Practically Family
Well, we had a doozy of a storm here in AZ last night. I was working with a friend at my recording studio and as we walked to the corner store, it started to rain a bit, and I cursed the fact that I was wearing my most recent acquisition, or, as I call it, the King of All Hats, my beautiful and perfect 40s Borsalino. Now, I know that hat can take it, but when you own 40 hats, it's no crime to have one or two you just don't wear in the rain.
We got back to the studio, and the hat was a little wet, but it had only been a small shower, so it was fine.
Within an hour a severe storm hit Mesa, and ironically, about three seconds after I set the alarm in my studio so we could leave, the whole place lost power. In the 20 seconds it took us to get from the door of the studio to the car, not only was I absolutely soaked TO THE BONE by rain and hail (my socks were completely saturated through my Aldens - even my boxers were completely soaked), but my Borsalino got soaked through to the liner to the point that the liner was wet! That is some serious rain (oh, there was hail too). The wind was like nothing I've ever seen.
My hat is sitting on dining room table...sit soaked the next day. It was the one hat I hoped I'd never get wet...ah well. Guess we'll see how she stands up to it. I imagine it will be fine...that is to say, I'm pretty sure it will be fine...I mean, I hope it'll be fine...
Any other hat, I wouldn't care. This was no light shower.

havershaw

Practically Family
I'll take one now. It's still wet enough today that my hair was damp from wearing it this morning.
One thing I've noticed is that the hat used to be very soft and pliable - seems the drenching brought the stiffener back, especially in the brim.

havershaw

Practically Family
These photos might not be a great comparison. The lighting, especially - well, the wet ones were taken at noon, the dry ones at about 5 pm.
I didn't do any shaping or anything like that. This is what the hat looked like when I took it off my head.
But anyway:

dry hat, just out of the box:
ee150660.jpg

morning after the soaking:
edcf7b90.jpg

dry:
ee150652.jpg

wet:
edcf7b87.jpg

The hat isn't soaked right now, just kind of damp. I know it looks lighter now, but it's just because the sun is a lot brighter today than when I took the dry ones.

dry:
ee150642.jpg

wet:
edcf7b82.jpg

dry:
ee150648.jpg

wet:
edcf7b8b.jpg

trust me, the color is exactly the same as it was before.
The brim is definitely much stiffer.

I have been wearing it all day because the sweatband is still damp and I want it to dry to the shape of my head. When I put it on this morning, it was a bit loose - probably because I had to really shove it down on my head to keep from losing it last night.
It does smell kind of musty now, though.

havershaw

Practically Family
I've actually been pulling the brim down a bit when I wear it, so that's probably just developed since I took the dry pictures. I like a nice snap to the brim, so I had been sort of working it in there in the last couple of weeks.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Don't worry, be happy!

When it rains I alway reach for my 100% rabbit fur felt, no name, roll-up fedora, the first fedora I purchased about 7-8 years ago. After all this time, the hat is none the worse for wear and still looks pretty darn good, rain after rain. I can guarantee that your Borsalino felt is infinitely better and will stand up to much worse. So don't worry, these hats can take it. It looks like a beauty, by the way.

ideaguy

One Too Many
wet Borsalino

Great Hat- Could you impart what model it is? I'm very surprized at the
lack of discoloration on the ribbon after such a soaking; man, quality tells.
I've always tucked my hat under coat/shirt in rain, now, I'll be brave!!

Magus said:
No major discernable differance that I can see.

Cool.

M

I agree completely and that was more or less why I suggested pictures. I had to test my theory. ;) Looks like I won the bet to myself.
Actually, I like the brim better now. I guess sag is good to me. :D
Water or steam will revive the stiffener that is for sure. When it dries it will take about two weeks of wearing to get the brim to relax---in my experience anyway. ;)

Regards,

J

havershaw

Practically Family
Yeah, the hat's exactly how it was before, although a bit stiffer. I like the more swooped brim better, too.
Ideaguy, it's a 40s Borsalino with a gold insignia on the crown - and I just realized it says Qualita Superiore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally