Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

Besides English, What Languages Do You Speak?

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that we've asked this question before of our Loungers, so here goes...

Besides English (which all of us have to know to a certain degree in order to participate here...), what other languages are you at least somewhat proficient at? (By somewhat proficient, I mean able to say a bit more than just "Where is the restroom?")

For myself, I speak Spanish (particularly Castilian, Cuban, and north-west Mexican dialects). I can understand quite a bit of Italian (which I studied a little in college) and European Portuguese, but am not nearly proficient in either.:( Can speak small amounts of Arabic, Armenian, and Tagalog...

Last edited:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I'm learning Mainah, but my wife says since I'm from away I'll never speak like a local!! :D

Otherwise no other languages, studied spanish, but not good at it. But something you said Widebrim reminded me of my father. He spoke fluent Spanish, but spoke it with an American accent.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I took enough years of French - four courses in college, two in high school and one in junior high - to be able to read and write it well, but time has eroded my ability to speak it very fluently. To be more specific, it takes me a while to remember the vocabulary, because I graduated college in 03 and haven't spoken it since.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I took enough years of French- to be able to read and write it well, but time has eroded my ability to speak it very fluently.

I haven't spoken French since the Army-except when I flirt with a certain lovely Irish colleen at the office-
and my college German is also rusted from neglect. Toiling at a PhD now, which requires renewed acquaintance with both languages, and ancient Greek, which I have never studied.
Looking into evening classes at a local community college to correct time's lapse.
Schoolboy Latin; some Vietnamese and modern Greek from peripatetic youth.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Spanish, French, Armenian and Latin in order of current proficiency. French and Armenian from my mother's side and Spanish and Latin from school. Oh, and thanks to my father's side I know just enough Gaelic insults to start a brawl in Galway. :p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I took Spanish in high school (it was the only language offered).

I know some foods and swear words in Polish. So I can insult a person or name foods. Although my grandparents were fluent in Polish, they didn't want their children or grandchildren to learn it for various reasons.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't say I'm exactly fluent, but I speak passable Spanish. I struggle with my verb tenses somewhat and my vocabulary isn't what it once was. I had four years of Spanish in high school and three in college. I had to resurrect it when I got back into law enforcement nine years ago. I use it virtually every day.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Ich spreche ziemlich viel Deutsch..... but I still can't master the ungodly amount of complicated punctuation!

I guess you could say I speak 3/4 English and 1/4 Austrian, because I am 3/4 English and 1/4 Austrian. :p

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Je prenais le cours de Français pendant l'école secondaire jusqu'a le douxième année, alors, je le parle, lire, et écrit couramment :)

Other than that, nothing. I wish I spoke more.

I hear my boyfriend speak Arabic quite often - Its scary sounding!

Last edited:
Je prenais le cours de Français pendant l'école secondaire jusqu'a le douxième année, alors, je le parle, lire, et écrit couramment :)

Other than that, nothing. I wish I spoke more.

I hear my boyfriend speak Arabic quite often - Its scary sounding!

كنت على حق، فإنه مخيف الصوت.
(You're right, it does sound scary.)

lol

Last edited:

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Fluent in Redneck with a smattering of French, German, Spanish, Cherokee and still working on Scots Gaelic. Have more french than the others but that was over 25 years ago and have only spoken a little since then so I am definetley losing it.

=GG=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe