Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandiana Army Museum

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was amazed to find this anti-aircraft searchlight at Bandiana Army Musueum, located near the NSW/Victoria border. My Dad worked on these during the Darwin bombings nearly 64 years ago. I never thought I'd see one !

ANTI-AIRCRAFTSEARCHLIGHTWW2.jpg

Dad was only 17 when he was stationed in Darwin. When the Army discovered his true age, he was discharged after only twelve months service. Once he turned 18, he joined the RAAF. He spoke about his experiences in Darwin rarely, and once told me about a fellow soldier he knew who was killed when a Japanese Zero fighter tried to destroy one of the searchlights by diving straight down the light beam and firing its wing cannons. The soldier was only 16. Lest we forget.

I guess they were operating alongside defensive emplacements like these:

RAYWESAAGUN.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know, the guy on the left looks kinda suspicious

Reminds me of a mugshot I've seen someplace . . . The notorious Babyface Kooper, or something like that.:)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Here ya go, Benny

Monday, February 19, 2007. 9:00am (AEDT)
Darwin commemorates WWII bombing

Hundreds of people are expected to gather at the Darwin Cenotaph this morning to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the bombing of Darwin.

From February 19, 1942 to November 1943 the sound of air-raid sirens regularly echoed around the city of Darwin.

Sixty-five years on a large crowd is expected to attend a ceremony at the Darwin Cenotaph to mark the occasion Japanese forces attacked.

It was also the first time Australia had been attacked on home soil by an enemy.

Bombs fell from the Darwin skies for about 40 minutes and a second attack was launched half an hour later.

In total 243 people were killed during the raids.

Experts estimate about 400 others were injured.

A siren will be sounded at two minutes to 10:00am ACST at the Cenotaph - the exact time the first bomb struck.

The curator of the Australian War Memorial Chris Goddard says for the survivors the constant sound of air raids can still be heard.

"They lived on adrenaline and wits and in a lot of cases they still do. It's going to be a very emotional day," he said.

Grimnar

New in Town
Hi Benny,
Your story is exactly the same as my Grandfathers circumstance during WW2, he was in the Army and then got discharged for being too young, but when he became 18 he enlisted in the RAAF. His name was Francis Arthur Goodwin.

Great photos by the way.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe